Mocking Ads on Craigslist

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
How would YOU maximize protected seating & minimize LOA? The 'forepeak' bench seating & small ports kind of puzzles me, but the rest is just a bus.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
This:

01010_lboAll6Nu7y_600x450.jpg

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/4688604635.html
We just may have a winner. Podium finisher certainly.

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
The quest for headroom ruins so many design visions.Clearly the person that bought the plans ignored the the fact that the design is called "Elver". Everyone knows elves certainly don't need a lot of headroom.
Not elves, eels.

el•ver (ˈɛl vər)

n.

a young eel, esp. one migrating up a stream from the ocean.
I have no personal experience, but the rumors that reached my ears said it's a terrible design. Unfortunately, it's cute enough that several (at least) have been built.
Sure, but given it is a 20' cruiser, I like my elf theory better.
Wow, just got to this thread, what a great day in dubious boat listings. The amazing thing here is he's asking $900. $900 for a boat someone made by hand. Just don't do the math.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I wonder if anyone will buy a boat this ugly.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/boa/4707608858.html
Other than the paint job, I think you have to give this a pass. It's a commercial boat, configured to economic & regulatory purposes. Beauty does not pay bills or make income.
I beg to differ. There are plenty of commercial boats that have a certain functional beauty about them. I can't imagine any commercial purpose that would require a boat to be that hideous looking, no matter how it was painted.
Lewiston is the head of navigation of the Columbia/Snake river system. The "commercial application" is that from there, they run jet-boat tours and charters (e.g. hunt & fish) up into Hell's Canyon.

Last edited by a moderator:

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I wonder if, by "sail pending" they actually mean that they intend to add canvas and rigging? Ad has been running for months with no changes. There seem to be a bunch of these around the area for sale. Some of them "nekkid" without any prior "improvements" to deal with, at a fraction of that price. There was one at my former marina that looked pretty ship-shape.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
I wonder if, by "sail pending" they actually mean that they intend to add canvas and rigging? Ad has been running for months with no changes. There seem to be a bunch of these around the area for sale. Some of them "nekkid" without any prior "improvements" to deal with, at a fraction of that price. There was one at my former marina that looked pretty ship-shape.
I was shocked to read it had been used as a liveaboard. Whoda thunkit?

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Garbage dumps like that are the principal reason why so many municipalities prohibit liveaboards and float homes.

Cretinous slobs like that, living in their floating trash piles fuck it up for everyone.

Too true. I always jump to defend myself whenever anyone asks if I liveabord.

"No! I'm cruising. Cruising."

I have seen too many trash piles as liveaboards that I don't want to get lumped in with them.

Does anyone know if the sailboat in the Seattle area that had the picture of the raccoon is still for sale? That's the worst one that I have seen. It was listed for at least a year with no price drop.

There were a few at my marina awhile back that were sort of similar, but I'd call them something more like "shipwreck-shape".

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/4673491834.html

First pic appears to have been taken circa 1975. I suppose the 2nd is present day? Oh, FYI, "boat was not sunk." The only thing sinking is the neighborhood property values...
I think I know that model. It looks like a boat that was a steady customer at a yard where I worked in the early 70s. 35' double-ended, ketch-rigged, planing motorsailor. Weird boat, owner kept bringing it to the yard for more modifications to go faster. I think it started out making about 14 knots... several years (and mucho $) later it made about 28. Looked odd hauling ass down the ICW with two masts sticking in the air. Never knew what it was called, or ever saw another.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Reminds me of the crab boat that ended up on the shoulder of a road after Isabel. Instead of being salvaged, it soon sprouted a FOR SALE - AS IS WHERE IS sign :lol:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/4673491834.html

First pic appears to have been taken circa 1975. I suppose the 2nd is present day? Oh, FYI, "boat was not sunk." The only thing sinking is the neighborhood property values...