Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
$7,000 for a 65' steel hull. 

I think we can now mock everyone that builds their own steel hull thinking they are saving money (that's you, BS, and your elk).  

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
00M0M_dsBd0IidwVv_1200x900.jpg

This may be the end-all as far as total pieces of floating ruination. 

But one has to admire the classy Arc de Triomphe lamp in the cabin.  Helps put a gal in the mood to crawl into that reeking crack-bunk...

Windward

Super Anarchist
I'm leaning towards imprisonment of kidnap victims... that boat is a horror show without a script.  Or wanting a script...  Ick.  Just sink and make a reef out of it.

65ft (cruiser) sailboat with 4cyl diesel engine. Teak wood interior. Full kitchen. Gas stove. Mini Fridge. Extreme storage all throughout ship. Enough bedding for 10. Batteries are in good condition. Pump runs great. The engine is in good condition. Pulley system under the steering wheel needs to be welded back in place, you can still steer with the helm and a bar. Needs to be painted, barnacles need to be scrapped off. Needs better sealing around the masts holes, top port holes and entry ways. More information in pictures. Asking 7000. Text Brandon

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
This may be the end-all as far as total pieces of floating ruination. 

But one has to admire the classy Arc de Triomphe lamp in the cabin.  Helps put a gal in the mood to crawl into that reeking crack-bunk...
Iz, you bring shame upon the Old North State. That is the Eiffel Tower, not the Arc de Triomphe.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
$7,000 for a 65' steel hull. 

I think we can now mock everyone that builds their own steel hull thinking they are saving money (that's you, BS, and your elk).  
FIFY.

I built mine but it wasn't about saving money, it was getting what I wanted done *how* I wanted it.

Comments like yours are entertaining because the overwhelming majority of you couldn't build a dinghy let alone a decent sized sailboat. I, OTOH, have a brand new boat that I know every part of. And that Valiant thread on blisters.......

That 65' hull is apparently a George Buehler design which means I wouldn't buy it anyway. George had no feel for steel hulls at all, they were always massively overweight for their actual requirements. Probably also explains why it has no rig - doesn't have the stability to carry one.

FKT

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
Iz, you bring shame upon the Old North State. That is the Eiffel Tower, not the Arc de Triomphe.
BC - my God - guilty as charged! I need to stop secretively 'multitasking' at work and dedicate proper mocking time to keep my facts straight. My mind thought Tour Eiffel, and out came the Arc. :rolleyes:

By the way, as we drove to DPAC last weekend for a Mothers Day outing, thought of you as we passed the 'Welcome To Bull City' sign.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
FIFY.

I built mine but it wasn't about saving money, it was getting what I wanted done *how* I wanted it.

Comments like yours are entertaining because the overwhelming majority of you couldn't build a dinghy let alone a decent sized sailboat. I, OTOH, have a brand new boat that I know every part of. And that Valiant thread on blisters.......

That 65' hull is apparently a George Buehler design which means I wouldn't buy it anyway. George had no feel for steel hulls at all, they were always massively overweight for their actual requirements. Probably also explains why it has no rig - doesn't have the stability to carry one.

FKT
I understand the intent. I’ve built a few boats in my day.  I rebuilt my wooden Sloop because it was already there in form and needed everything I could throw at it to get the boat I wanted. I could have purchased a new boat for what I put into it with time and money for 5 years and finished a lot of other boat projects, however, I am satisfied with the end product.  No one else has anything remotely as unique around this area

For the majority who will never build a boat but see the folly in so many home built steel boats that never get to launch, there is general consensus out there(here) that the “boats” are in fact just reflections of the lack of knowledge and self awareness that make for an unfortunate project and a mock worthy unfinished product...unlike you FKT and Steve ”Panope”. You guys have raised the bar. Steve has re-done his Dad’s boat beautifully and you have scratch built a monster boat yourself. 

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
I think he missed his Prozac yesterday.
No, I'm working on my metal planer which stopped planing and that's pissing me off. Mind you it's over 70 years old. Now has its drive gear mounted on the horizontal boring mill removing the badly worn area in prep for a bronze sleeve bearing. That'll fix it for another 70 years.

Did a similar job a couple years back except it was the cutless bearing/bushing on a 65' 109 year old *steel* sailboat. Funny how steel boats can last a long time if looked after.

I'll concede that a few of you could build a dinghy but from your general comments I sincerely doubt the vast majority could even build a hull for a 30+ foot boat let alone all the systems that go inside, the rig and the sails. Otherwise you might think twice about some of the comments you make on this and similar threads.

Now you can feel free to prove me wrong - any time you want to start. Friend of mine started his build when he turned 65 and now sails a 34' Benford BADGER.

That Buehler hull looks pretty fair as far as the metalwork goes. As I said I'd not build a Buehler boat in steel because George had no clue as to the scantlings for a steel hull and he massively oversized everything. Also his big hulls have a rep for being pretty tender.

My take is that the person built the hull, did some of the fitout and plain ran out of money, energy and enthusiasm, then left it to deteriorate. That one is a bit sad. There but for the grace of God (and a lot of determination) go quite a few of us.

FKT

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
No, I'm working on my metal planer which stopped planing and that's pissing me off. Mind you it's over 70 years old. Now has its drive gear mounted on the horizontal boring mill removing the badly worn area in prep for a bronze sleeve bearing. That'll fix it for another 70 years.

Did a similar job a couple years back except it was the cutless bearing/bushing on a 65' 109 year old *steel* sailboat. Funny how steel boats can last a long time if looked after.

I'll concede that a few of you could build a dinghy but from your general comments I sincerely doubt the vast majority could even build a hull for a 30+ foot boat let alone all the systems that go inside, the rig and the sails. Otherwise you might think twice about some of the comments you make on this and similar threads.

Now you can feel free to prove me wrong - any time you want to start. Friend of mine started his build when he turned 65 and now sails a 34' Benford BADGER.

That Buehler hull looks pretty fair as far as the metalwork goes. As I said I'd not build a Buehler boat in steel because George had no clue as to the scantlings for a steel hull and he massively oversized everything. Also his big hulls have a rep for being pretty tender.

My take is that the person built the hull, did some of the fitout and plain ran out of money, energy and enthusiasm, then left it to deteriorate. That one is a bit sad. There but for the grace of God (and a lot of determination) go quite a few of us.

FKT
The idea of building a boat = FREEDOM!! got a big boost back in the fiberglass boat boom, when a lot of people wanted the boat (boat = FREEDOM!!) but didn't want to / couldn't afford to pay for a new one; also a lot of people felt they could build a better boat than what was on the market.

The problem is that a lot of people who get the bug to build a boat seem to think that a boat is a funny-shaped box. All that extra stuff is just minor. So, when they've built the funny-shaped box, and they don't realize that they are less than 25% done, as the rest of it drags on and on, and costs more and more, of course they get discouraged.

In today's world with gazillions of cheap used boats, does it make sense to build a boat yourself? Well, if you want something done right, you know what you have to do.........

FB- Doug

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
The idea of building a boat = FREEDOM!! got a big boost back in the fiberglass boat boom, when a lot of people wanted the boat (boat = FREEDOM!!) but didn't want to / couldn't afford to pay for a new one; also a lot of people felt they could build a better boat than what was on the market.

The problem is that a lot of people who get the bug to build a boat seem to think that a boat is a funny-shaped box. All that extra stuff is just minor. So, when they've built the funny-shaped box, and they don't realize that they are less than 25% done, as the rest of it drags on and on, and costs more and more, of course they get discouraged.

In today's world with gazillions of cheap used boats, does it make sense to build a boat yourself? Well, if you want something done right, you know what you have to do.........

FB- Doug
Agree with that, and would add that while many of us could build a boat - given the time, money and lack of interest in just about anything else - most of us would choose not to build a boat. Most of us prefer to sail our boats, do other stuff, share a life with our wives...a of which conflicts with the time and focus required to build a cruising sailboat.  The damn upkeep takes too much time as it is!

Windward

Super Anarchist
Agree with that, and would add that while many of us could build a boat - given the time, money and lack of interest in just about anything else - most of us would choose not to build a boat. Most of us prefer to sail our boats, do other stuff, share a life with our wives...a of which conflicts with the time and focus required to build a cruising sailboat.  The damn upkeep takes too much time as it is!
damn upkeep takes too much time as it is!

Exactly!   

This, and just look at that SV Seeker guy.  Wow, if the building isn't 100% of the fun for that guy.  I'm sure he will sail it, and have a ton of fun with ROV's and the like, but the actual pure joy of the fit-out is remarkable.  Launch day might be a sad day for him.   Bravo, and no way would I ever do it.

Fa Kiew Tu seems to have the knowledge and kit to build boats.   I think if (come the time) I will just have him build me one, or buy one of his used boats should the opportunity present itself.  99% of the posters here on SA who "could" build a boat, I would not buy.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
I followed the home boat-building world for a bunch of years. My impression is that it's mostly boats less than 15' long, i.e.short enough to plank with 2 sheets of plywood. Anything larger is a serious undertaking. There are a lot of boats in the 15-20 ft range that turn into multi-year projects. Then along comes some guy and he builds a 26-footer in year, but you find out it's not his first boat, he already has a shop to build in, and all the tools.  

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The only reason to build a boat is because you want to build a boat.

For anything else - like getting a boat cheaper etc, buy one. It's faster, cheaper, easier and you will probably still be married and/or alive when it hits the water.

Even the reason that you get exactly what you want by building is not all that valid. There are so many boats of such variety on the used market that there has to be something close that can be customized to meet your specific needs at far less cost in time and money than starting from scratch.

There are extraordinary or unique exceptions, like Francis Lee but they are few & far between.

Latest posts