Mocking Ads on Craigslist

Went to the Auckland show maybe 4  years ago - when my boat was in NZ- I found it quite sad.

All I recall of new boats in the water was a benny, a bav and a Hanse....maybe 45 feet... dunno...

Stuck my nose in the Hanse .... a couple of a certain age were making  very impressed noises .... may have even been thinking of buying it.

I was anything but impressed .... not even a decent marina queen in my eyes.

Hukilau

Branford, CT
Hmmmm.  I love boat shows.  There will never be a world where I can afford or even want a new boat, but I really enjoy seeing boats that are out of my league.  But I have to agree with Cisco; the sailboat pickings are getting slimmer.  The Miami show is a good case in point:  fewer and fewer sailboats are being shown.  The Strictly Sail part of the show used to be a separate show at Miamarina, but it's gotten to the point where they've just combined it with the power boats at Key Biscayne.  Newport is still strong, and I've heard that Annapolis hasn't lost any steam, but the smaller shows that I used to go to are either gone or don't have any sailboats at all.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
The local show has been a waste of time since the 90's unless you are looking for a "boat show" deal on electronics or sails.

85% of it is obnoxious ski boats with roll bars full of stereo speakers to ensure everyone within a couple of miles knows you are there.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
obnoxious ski boats with roll bars full of stereo speakers to ensure everyone within a couple of miles knows you are there.
Didn't realize this is an international trend...I thought it was just a Southern US thing.  Boats usually contain 2-3 drunk rednecks, cranking country or even rap.  The cherry on top is an oversize US or confederate flag.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
not really mocking, except he has the price right.  but sails cost extra...

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/boa/d/topping-sail-boat-catalina-22-free/6893727903.html

Come and get this 22' Catlina (1972) for free.
The Boat was re-rigged and could be ready to sail with a little TLC.
The hull, drop keel and mast/rigging are sound and in working order.
There are no electronics on the boat.
1 main sails and 2 jibs (from Bottger Sails, NY) in excellent conditions and stowed in bags indoors, are available for $350
Johnson 8 hp Outboard, with gas container is available for $250.
Motor will run after a tune up.
The original seat cushions are also stowed and are in decent shape.
This boat has been kept on a lift, but hasn't been sailed in a year.
This Boat came with the house purchase and I'm not a sailor so I'd like to find it a good home.
There is no trailer, so you would need to tow it from the lift.
There is also a nearby boat ramp if you want to haul it away.

Hukilau

Branford, CT
The local show has been a waste of time since the 90's unless you are looking for a "boat show" deal on electronics or sails.

85% of it is obnoxious ski boats with roll bars full of stereo speakers to ensure everyone within a couple of miles knows you are there.
Not a lot of great boat show deals either, unless you want to buy an actual boat.  There's always the discount sunglasses booth, but most stuff that is discounted is only discounted about 5% off regular retail.  I don't go for the deals; I go for the entertainment value.  I love looking at and hanging out around sailboats and with other sailors.  And swag.  Swag is good.  Granted, there are limits in how many keychain floats a man really needs, but I'm not there yet.  And I could always use another pair of sunglasses.

And I really like it when it's a combo power and sailboat show.  The differences in the crowds at each part makes me smile.  Sure the power boat side has more young people and families, but sailors know more about the boats.  Usually. 

Times have changed though;  I remember back in the day (late '80's) when I lived in NYC, and would go to the NY Boat Show.  This is an indoor extravaganza held every January.  The show is at the huge Javits Center, and used to be fully half power boats and half sailboats.  Back then, it looked more like a car show, with models and tacky come-ons designed to get you to look.  The models on the power boat side would be dressed in bikinis or other similar (lack of) clothing, while those on the sailboat side looked like they had stepped out of an LL Bean catalogue.  I recall one time at the show where the mid-20's and single me saw a really beautiful salesgirl in the cockpit of a sailboat, and decided to ask her some questions about the boat (ahem).  I climbed the stairs to the cockpit, and proceeded to charm the young lady.  She smiled back and said "you really need to ask my Dad those questions".  Out from below pops the young lady's father, ready to answer any questions and take my deposit check.  I didn't know if I should admire his sales technique or call the cops for pimping out his daughter.

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
Compare The Skaters by MIke Camp to the Dancers by David Wynne (PepsiCo Sculpture Gardens)

2019-05-26_0911.png

2019-05-26_0911_001.png

Latest posts