Mocking Ads on Craigslist

SemiSalt

Super Anarchist
WLIS
I think it was Practical Sailor the pretended "Hunter" with "Cherubini" to suggest boats were not total trash. The brokers love it but it didn't do much for the hate here on SA.

The ad is mock-worthy in style, but the price seems reasonable for a boat with a working engine. The construction of early Hunters was hit or miss, but this boat has survived for 43 years. This may be partly because it spent a lot of time as a live aboard. Still, SF Bay may not be the best venue for an old boat.

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
When My wife and I were in the market for a family daysailor, a broker that was pushing brand 'B' knew the spot to rap on a Hunter hull to make it sound thin (and it was). The trick horrified my wife and she declared we would never get a Hunter.

Those are interesting points. I know all about how to get in trouble with small boats, like a Dutchman or a Coquina, but I know little about how to get into trouble with big boats. Certain Hunters look nice to my very, very well-trained eye (derived by staring at stuff a lot). I was more fascinated with the buzzword "revisualization" and spending years doing it. Remember how in the 90s every college marketing class taught that the phrase "raise awareness" was a license to beg, insult, cajole, defy, obstruct, and generally raise a ruckus instead of working? The usual scenario was some broke, inexperienced college dropouts would buy a decrepit wooden boat, ready for its sad fate at the chainsaw, then sail it somewhere important while advertising for donations, GoFundMe accounts, etc, to "raise awareness about wooden boat building" or something ike that. Later, when they spent the money on craft beer and the boat was chainsawn, the sad results would come out. I thought maybe we were looking at a whole 'nuther marketing phase about to happen.

Last edited:
Yes. As long as you GoFundMe and ask for donations to raise awareness. Etc. But that's where the evolutionary step happens. You must REVISUALIZE bell bottoms and sideburns. And that my friend is the magic of the internet that has made Kanye West a half billion dollars. Sure, you think it's because he talks like a stroke victim and uses "0000" for his phone password. It's actually because he understands that the internet is about faking everything all of the time.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Here's a rare opportunity - for only $10 grand you can buy the ugliest boat in the Salish Sea - maybe on the planet.

It even needs a new mast.

1657066573607.png

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Those are interesting points. I know all about how to get in trouble with small boats, like a Dutchman or a Coquina, but I know little about how to get into trouble with big boats. Certain Hunters look nice to my very, very well-trained eye (derived by staring at stuff a lot). I was more fascinated with the buzzword "revisualization" and spending years doing it. Remember how in the 90s every college marketing class taught that the phrase "raise awareness" was a license to beg, insult, cajole, defy, obstruct, and generally raise a ruckus instead of working? The usual scenario was some broke, inexperienced college dropouts would buy a decrepit wooden boat, ready for its sad fate at the chainsaw, then sail it somewhere important while advertising for donations, GoFundMe accounts, etc, to "raise awareness about wooden boat building" or something ike that. Later, when they spent the money on craft beer and the boat was chainsawn, the sad results would come out. I thought maybe we were looking at a whole 'nuther marketing phase about to happen.

Hey - you just described the unlamented A J Oliver and the Vets for Peace sailboat to a Tee...

Well done.

FKT

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
Here's a rare opportunity - for only $10 grand you can buy the ugliest boat in the Salish Sea - maybe on the planet.

View attachment 527094
I was skulking around on a SUP near her berth in False Creek a few weeks ago and a woman and a man who might have been Bruno, were cleaning her up. But she does look a lot more tired than in the shots in the ad though, I've been by there a few times and thought about getting a picture for the Zombie Fleet thread.

View attachment 527094
If it weren’t for the mast issue and it came with the berth, I’d mess around with that for shits and giggles. I hear it performs way better than it looks.

Love the deck eyes with attitude.

View attachment 527094

That brings back memories (okay, fading memories). Used to watch her sailing into False Creek in the early 70's.
(from our $140.00 per month one bedroom apt.)
Someone told us she was built from apple boxes. She did slip along in the slightest of breezes.

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
Back to the Huner,
Although there are many bizarre things about the boat and the add, the thing I can not get out of my brain is the huge double sink in the head. One for each hand? He/She hates counter space? Salt water on one side, fresh on the other? Somebody help me revisualize this.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Back to the Huner,
Although there are many bizarre things about the boat and the add, the thing I can not get out of my brain is the huge double sink in the head. One for each hand? He/She hates counter space? Salt water on one side, fresh on the other? Somebody help me revisualize this.
I'd assume "laundry." Although one might visualize doing laundry at the galley in somewhat more comfort. But maybe this only occurs to me because I'm considering a boat with two heads and thinking one of them might become the laundry/utility room.

Latest posts