Mocking Ads on Craigslist

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
A 2 year delay caused his plans to fall apart and it's all Fauci's fault.

Anybody here ever had a marina ask the age of their boat before renting them a berth?

Sounds like just another anti-vax loser blaming the world for his own inadequacies.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
A 2 year delay caused his plans to fall apart and it's all Fauci's fault.

Anybody here ever had a marina ask the age of their boat before renting them a berth?

Sounds like just another anti-vax loser blaming the world for his own inadequacies.

It would be better not to bring politics into it, but yeah.

US insurance companies can raise difficulties to insuring a wooden or an old fiberglass boat, but with slight finesse, those objections can be overcome. No idea if a California marina would object based on age but they'd damn sure object to no insurance.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
It would be better not to bring politics into it, but yeah.

US insurance companies can raise difficulties to insuring a wooden or an old fiberglass boat, but with slight finesse, those objections can be overcome. No idea if a California marina would object based on age but they'd damn sure object to no insurance.
Resentful stupidity is political?

Remodel

Super Anarchist
None
This guy is pissed at the world, read through the comments.

I think I figured out what this guy's problem is:

30 gallons fresh water storage (Fuel tank was converted to water by previous owner over a decade ago, I drink from it just fine, has water filter)

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
The plan for the boat was costal cruising Latin America, but the vast worldwide conspiracy keeps kicking him out of marinas in San Diego?
Fail to see the problem here... Just go!

slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
This boat is 50 years old and beyond the age limit accepted by most U.S. marinas, hence my parking it in Ensenada. I was rejected by four marinas in San Diego so do your research

I understood it was getting very hard to insure golden age boats, but not that Marinas were outright refusing them a slip due to an “age limit” - rather than the years-long waiting lists. Seems suspect.
I figure either:

1) The marinas wanted an easy way to keep from having to rent to this guy

Or,

2) The marinas may require a survey on really old boats and the guy knows his boat would fail.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
The plan for the boat was costal cruising Latin America, but the vast worldwide conspiracy keeps kicking him out of marinas in San Diego?
Fail to see the problem here... Just go!
I hear Honduras has lots of quiet river mouths and mangrove moorings with a very light regulatory touch. Live that libertarian dream, brother. :whistle: Just you, some howler monkeys, and 200 miles to the nearest reliable shore power.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I hear Honduras has lots of quiet river mouths and mangrove moorings with a very light regulatory touch. Live that libertarian dream, brother. :whistle: Just you, some howler monkeys, and 200 miles to the nearest reliable shore power.

He may have decided that the boat's ammo storage capacity was too low for this kind of scenario

Out West

Portland, OR
This boat is 50 years old and beyond the age limit accepted by most U.S. marinas, hence my parking it in Ensenada. I was rejected by four marinas in San Diego so do your research

I understood it was getting very hard to insure golden age boats, but not that Marinas were outright refusing them a slip due to an “age limit” - rather than the years-long waiting lists. Seems suspect.

My experience with marinas in SoCal was even if they have a lot of zombies floating in slips already, they definitely put hurdles up on accepting older boats. Liveaboard is hard to get generally, and on an old boat...not happening. All marinas wanted photos along with proof of insurance, and a couple said they would have to see the boat before considering it. 1 month security + 1 month of slip rent is less than cost of disposal and marinas know it. I was moving a boat (old woody) to San Diego down from LA, so "dropping by for an inspection" was not happening - meeting in person w. photos worked, pretty clear the boat and the owner were under inspection.

The Mariner in the ad looks not terrible for the age if you are into that old school cruiser type, minimal crap aboard, hard money into an oceanvolt. However "The head has been removed but has a porta-potty if needed, and bucket and pee jug" So...there's that. The marinas may not have liked the owner or his nautical theology.

herzogone

I figure either:

1) The marinas wanted an easy way to keep from having to rent to this guy

Or,

2) The marinas may require a survey on really old boats and the guy knows his boat would fail.
I wonder if he really means the marinas simply won't accept the insurer he has, and none of the approved insurers will cover a boat that old? I've seen these issues independently at least. My current boat is a 1974 and I had to search around a bit for insurance. Geico, Progressive, and Allstate wouldn't cover a boat that old. My previous boat (still owned by family and friends) has been insured through Allstate for 25 years, but this past year New England Boatworks, where they previously hauled out, got bought up by Safe Harbor who does not accept Allstate so the boat wintered in the water instead.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
I wonder if he really means the marinas simply won't accept the insurer he has, and none of the approved insurers will cover a boat that old? I've seen these issues independently at least. My current boat is a 1974 and I had to search around a bit for insurance. Geico, Progressive, and Allstate wouldn't cover a boat that old. My previous boat (still owned by family and friends) has been insured through Allstate for 25 years, but this past year New England Boatworks, where they previously hauled out, got bought up by Safe Harbor who does not accept Allstate so the boat wintered in the water instead.
I wonder why they wont accept Allstate?

I don't like to make fun of someone's efforts to learn something. My first attempt to build a boat was a kayak, without plans. If you have seen Homer Simpson build a doghouse, later revised to dog platform, well...that was my kayak. So maybe the aluminum sailboat is step one. Something tells me not (the Hillbilly Voice in my ear that speaks only banjo, and no one else can hear).