Modified Columbia 30 info?

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
So I really could replace my motor mounts myself… How'd you pull it??? Pix?
I'll upload some pictures in a while, but it was essentially a matter of taking off all the electricals, disconnecting the fuel lines and the water line (with the valve closed obviously) and 6 bolts around the saildrive housing. I had to pull the alternator to get at the starter wires. There was enough play in the engine mount studs to be able to slip the engine off the saildrive spline. We used a 4:1 cascade around the boom to lift the engine, then slide it aft past the lifelines, and then out over the dock onto a tarp. we were able to carry the engine up to the car on the tarp - it weighs around 150 lbs.

gullwinkle

MA
So collective hive, I've got a small problem. the head on my 1gm10 cracked, and a couple weeks ago I pulled the engine (1.5 hours and minimal swearing) for a rebuild. In the meantime we've been sailing in and out of our slip but it's clearly not ideal for any kind of race that starts more than a couple miles from the marina. The engine won't be ready for another couple weeks.

I have an 8hp 2 stroke that I could use, but I'd rather not have to drill any holes or make anything permanent to mount this thing. Or if I do have to, what is available that would fit the transom?

Any bright ideas out there?
DSQ. Sailing without an engine!

So collective hive, I've got a small problem. the head on my 1gm10 cracked, and a couple weeks ago I pulled the engine (1.5 hours and minimal swearing) for a rebuild. In the meantime we've been sailing in and out of our slip but it's clearly not ideal for any kind of race that starts more than a couple miles from the marina. The engine won't be ready for another couple weeks.

I have an 8hp 2 stroke that I could use, but I'd rather not have to drill any holes or make anything permanent to mount this thing. Or if I do have to, what is available that would fit the transom?

Any bright ideas out there?
The 32 has a slightly smaller transom than the 30 so options are limited. I always thought that the 32 had plenty of room in the back for a double track outboard motor mount on the cockpit floor, should one decide to ditch the diesel. It would be a custom setup but picture basically the motor mount sliding on two tracks to one side of the tiller/rudder. The big benefit is the outboard motor slides forward and not just out of the water. Saves you the hassle of removing it every time. The tracks and mount could also double as E-Rudder attachment point. Sailed a hot Formula 28 Trimaran with this setup, super slick. This does require a few holes to install. I've also seen one boat with a socket type mount pictured below, again some custom fabrication involved. Probably the cleanest of the bunch. 144320524.e6O0J0ZK.jpg

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Irrational, yeah that's eXigent's setup. I tried to buy that boat but he was asking way too much. he ended up selling it to a guy in NO I think for less than I paid for mine. I'll have to see if I still have the info around his motor mount, though he was also only using a 4-stroke 6hp on the back.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Agree your engine may be too heavy for this setup however 2-strokes are generally lighter than 4 strokes but it depends on mfg. 8hp is rather large.

Any idea why the head cracked on the Yanmar? Overheat due to pump failure?
the mechanic said there was definitely a major overheating incident, although I've always had good water through the exhaust and I don't think I've ever had an alarm.  so.. clearly the temp sensor needs replacing too ;)

c56602

Cayuga Lake
2 hours ago, Irrational 14 said:Replace one at a time using a wedge/wood block to temporarily support the engine while you swap the mounts. Use a small purchase to boom for safety and additional support.
I had that in mind when I bought the mounts. And then I looked at the engine again and went pale…

On some level you reassure me but I’ll have to look at it and think about it some more before I act. 

c56602

Cayuga Lake
Well, arg. Now I'm in the same boat as @ryley... My engine compartment is full of oil! I don't see a head gasket leak so maybe I'll be lucky and it will be something silly like some drain plug that rattled out or something... I'll have to get the oil out so that I can see. 

It's a bit unfortunate - we didn't get to race her yesterday and we have a big series race coming Saturday that we may miss - if it's more serious than a bolt...

95Terp

Baltimore, MD
Back to the outboard question - our bracket isn't very elegant, but it is simple and light.  Of course we have the added hurdle of an extra rudder and the associated linkage to deal with.  This obviously requires holes in the deck, but it works.  Incidentally, we recently switched from a 6hp to a 3.5hp for our short weeknight trips to and from the racecourse.  It's a good bit easier to wrestle with every week...

outboard bracket.PNG

c56602

Cayuga Lake
Perhaps hire a professional in your case.
Ok, ok. I went out and looked and took some videos. I could change those pipes if that’s the problem. There’s oil all over the engine above and behind the pipes… The easiest way to find the leak may be to add more oil and turn the engine over - to see where it’s coming out…

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
I'll upload some pictures in a while, but it was essentially a matter of taking off all the electricals, disconnecting the fuel lines and the water line (with the valve closed obviously) and 6 bolts around the saildrive housing. I had to pull the alternator to get at the starter wires. There was enough play in the engine mount studs to be able to slip the engine off the saildrive spline. We used a 4:1 cascade around the boom to lift the engine, then slide it aft past the lifelines, and then out over the dock onto a tarp. we were able to carry the engine up to the car on the tarp - it weighs around 150 lbs.
GRUNT!

Latest posts