Modified Columbia 30 info?

Pongs - come sail on my boat. You are always welcome. This is what works for me to maintain height and speed to weather:

1. In light airs, what is the limit you can pull the traveler up to? For twist, I pull up to the moulded foot brace. is there such a thing as too high on this boat? Yes - depends on the cut and how full your mainsail is. does this boat still need some vang in light airs? Once the hiking starts, the vang starts to come on.

2. How many more degrees should one be able to squeeze out of the boat using an inhauler? This is governed by wind strength, sea state, and driver ability. Flat sea and below 10 knots, I'm in but never max in. It's easy to loose your groove if chocked off. As it gets windier and/or wavier, the in-hauler is eased progressively.

3. in 15 knots plus, what is the best way to de power? 15-18: Dump the in-hauler 3/4 to all the way out. Hike hard with at least 5 on the rail. Runner on to remove headstay sag - very important. Traveler all the way down and sheet/vang accordingly or traveler in the middle and ease sheet? Traveler down in puffs and to keep boat flatter. Vang on. Cunno on. Tighten outhaul. Tighten your main and jib halyards between tacks. Play the fine tune of the mainsheet and adjust gross if it gets overwhelming. After 18, you''ll need a smaller jib, or a tuck in the main. After 22, you'll need both.

4. Any suggestions on squeezing more height out of this boat? Use your runners. First thing to improve point, is to remove headstay sag. Start pulling on runner when crew starts hiking.

crashtack

Looks like a clean standard C30 available in SA Classifieds. Don't know the boat but looks cared for.

https://sailinganarchy.com/advert/2006-columbia-30-sport/
So how much work needs to be done to make this into a decent racer? Getting rid of the inboard, new rudder/rudder attachment, carbon mast? Has anyone sailed these under ORC and know how they do? Considering buying but I've heard bad things in the past as to their predominantly-cruising nature.

I'd ditch the cassette and tiller. Upgrade to full carbon on both with a stiffer/deeper blade.

I'd check if this one has the REV 2 keel (cast iron w/larger bulb). If not, you'd want that. It would swap right in pretty easily.

I'd keep the inboard but that's just me (nice unit). You'd gain a bunch in performance and drag loss without the sail drive but outboards suck in all aspects IMO.

It already has a Carbon Southern Spars mast on it.

Ask Ryley about his. I think he is ORC/ORR.

I wouldn't say it's cruisey but it's no Farr 30 either. You can however stand up inside and spend a weekend on the hook glamping. The boat gets wife points for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I'd ditch the cassette and tiller. Upgrade to full carbon on both with a stiffer/deeper blade.

I'd check if this one has the REV 2 keel (cast iron w/larger bulb). If not, you'd want that. It would swap right in pretty easily.

I'd keep the inboard but that's just me (nice unit). You'd gain a bunch in performance and drag loss without the sail drive but outboards suck in all aspects IMO.

It already has a Carbon Southern Spars mast on it.

Ask Ryley about his. I think he is ORC/ORR.

I wouldn't say it's cruisey but it's no Farr 30 either. You can however stand up inside and spend a weekend on the hook glamping. The boat gets wife points for that.
It's funny.  I showed a friend a Columbia 30 that's for sale on SailingTexas and he said that it rates not as well as the Farr 30, which he owns.  I was pointing out that his wife might like the C30 better than the Farr30 and the trailering would be loads easier.  

By the way, the one here on SA Classifieds is $50k cheaper than the one on SailingTexas.  Oh wait, that's a 32' on ST.  I didn't realize there are two different models so close...or are they different?

https://sailingtexas.com/202101/scolumbia32104.html

It's funny.  I showed a friend a Columbia 30 that's for sale on SailingTexas and he said that it rates not as well as the Farr 30, which he owns.  I was pointing out that his wife might like the C30 better than the Farr30 and the trailering would be loads easier.  

By the way, the one here on SA Classifieds is $50k cheaper than the one on SailingTexas.  Oh wait, that's a 32' on ST.  I didn't realize there are two different models so close...or are they different?

https://sailingtexas.com/202101/scolumbia32104.html
This boat is sold and I believe its in Marina Del Rey. It instantly won the first race it entered earlier this month in a good fleet. I'm glad the new owners are enjoying it.

Yes, its the Carbon 32.

There are (3) Lumbo versions in order of production:

1. The Original 30 Sport

2. The Optimized 32 (aka 30-32)- basically lengthened 2', heavier bulb and keel fin, longer rudder. Some have an outboard, some have an inboard sail drive. Some have a carbon rig, some don't. Rates the same downwind as the Carbon 32.

3. The Carbon 32 - the 30 mold was widened, completely redesigned deck/cabin/cockpit. Carbon hull, inboard rudder, retractable drive. A bit quicker upwind than the Optimized 32.

crashtack

This boat is sold and I believe its in Marina Del Rey. It instantly won the first race it entered earlier this month in a good fleet. I'm glad the new owners are enjoying it.

Yes, its the Carbon 32.

1. The Original 30 Sport

2. The Optimized 32 (aka 30-32)- basically lengthened 2', heavier bulb and keel fin, longer rudder. Some have an outboard, some have an inboard sail drive. Some have a carbon rig, some don't. Rates the same downwind as the Carbon 32.

3. The Carbon 32 - the 30 mold was widened, completely redesigned deck/cabin/cockpit. Carbon hull, inboard rudder, retractable drive. A bit quicker upwind than the Optimized 32.
what is the "30-2" that @ryley owns? Just a modified 30 sport?

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
what is the "30-2" that @ryley owns? Just a modified 30 sport?
thanks to the geniuses at Columbia, there is the "original" Columbia 30, the extended 32, and the Carbon 32. To make it clear that it's a first-gen extended boat, some organizations refer to it as the Columbia 30-2 or Columbia 30-2 sport, to differentiate from the unextended 30s and the Carbon 32.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT

Yes, its the Carbon 32.

1. The Original 30 Sport

Thanks for the explanation...quite the history

Just to add, the first few original hulls were built by Morrelli/Melvin in their shop at the time.

Yes, that Morelli/Melvin - famous for AC72's, Gunboat, HH, Foiling Nacras, etc. They were the ones leading the charge locally with the Resin Infusion Tech. After that, Columbia took over.

how different is the 30-2 from the original 30? The hull shape is the same, right?
The 30-2 was designed as an optimized boat (Version 2). Hull shape is unchanged except for transom extension.

The Original 30 was quick but tippy and a bit short on waterline for it's sail plan. It lacked a proper rudder which was not kind to new crews. This is the most popular version of all 3. Get one with good bones and you may a good platform to build on.

I believe the 30-2 was born with a need for Offshore and Coastal Racing in mind. With the 30-2, they extended the transom. Not a sugar scoop, the whole cockpit floor and transom. The Carbon keel fin and little bulb was binned and a heavier iron keel fin and larger bulb was installed. They also binned the factory rudder and cassette. A stand alone deeper carbon rudder was added. Same issues as the FT10. In some cases the inboard was not installed. In some cases it was. Some boats got an aluminum mast installed with a longer headstay. Basically whatever the owner wanted, the boats were bespoke at that point.

After that, they redesigned the existing mold and the Carbon 32 was made. Morelli/Melvin affiliation was over at that point.

I wouldn’t say it’s essential. Easier yes.

The aluminum ballenger rig is easy to tune and only a single backstay to deal with. You get the power you need in light air with the taller jib.

The southern spars Carbon rig (same tube as Farr 30) requires you to get the most out of your mainsail a la square top and runners. So the setup needs to be played well to work right. We’ve had some interesting upwind legs alongside the Carbon 32 with the taller jib. Even though both boats are different, speed was close to equal on separate occasions light and medium upwind on very long legs (12 miles?). No idea on heavy air but my guess would be the the Carbon boat would start pulling away.

crashtack

Wow, never realized that the mast on the c30 in the advert was carbon. Who paints a carbon mast?

Anyways, is the ¾ rig a liability? Seems like the jib is very small compared to the main - is ordering a genoa necessary to be competitive upwind?

MPongs

Wow, never realized that the mast on the c30 in the advert was carbon. Who paints a carbon mast?

Anyways, is the ¾ rig a liability? Seems like the jib is very small compared to the main - is ordering a genoa necessary to be competitive upwind?
you're not going to be able to fly a Genoa off the jib tack because the spreaders run all the way out to the end. You could tack off the end of the spin pole, but you'll take the rating hit across the full wind range. 

The C30 is really light for its size, so on my boat, it's fully powered up with 4 onboard in 8 knots-10knots. So I think the weak spot for the boat is sub 5 knots. It seems like maybe the way to go is to have a big squarehead main. 

As Pongs has stated, the boat is designed to have non overlapping jibs. Shroud base goes to full beam. Very long carbon spreaders with a stiff carbon rig. A bit heavy by today's standards (before high modulus) but stiff and light enough to support a modern sail plan and make it all work well.

Overall. I'd say there are many similarities to the Seascape 27 except the Columbia was designed and built roughly 15 years earlier. It is obviously larger, roomier inside and out, and much much less $$$.

We power ours up with a modern square top main. I wouldn't call it aggressively large but it's pretty powered up. When the boat first came out, Squaretops were still in their infancy. It was all about maximizing roach, with a tiny head and long foot. We went thru all of these variations before with the Skiffs and learned what worked and what didn't. Now we drive a larger head with straight leech, shorter foot and flatter cut. The sails are powerful and you control the twist pretty easily. This also meant upgrading the purchases on Vang/Mainsheet/Cunno.

We basically put the power where it's needed. In fact, the new main is actually less area than the previous large roach sail it was rated with. Our main has 2 reef points so we can de-power for double-handing and also for racing Coastal/Offshore if we want. We don't use any furling for the jib, mainly to maximize luff length and end plate the foot area. She powers up fine. More importantly, we can de-power it.

All boats shine in their particular moment. I'd say this one does it best downwind through the full range. It goes upwind great but like any smaller sprit boat that's capable of planing, you are rated among 40 footers under handicap. A well sailed First 40.7 will steam roll you to weather in a fresh breeze. You suck it up and gain it all back with more once the kite goes up. If you sail in a predominantly light breeze, a J0 could work well but I'm not sure what the rating hit would be.

crashtack

Thanks for the answers. A couple more questions: has anyone here drysailed these? Stock, C30s don't have a single-point attachment system, but it seems fairly simple to cut an opening in the deck above the keel to create one. Also - any attempts to race one with a symmetrical?