money wins!

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
Nobody is fooling anybody here - Money, plain and simple, won the Melges 20 Miami Winter Regatta. Our guesstimate at the combined daily rate paid to the pros on the first and second place Kilroy boats is something around $6,000. Per day. Every day. That is every race day, practice day (of which there are way, way, way more than actual race days). That is what is paid to the pros. Just to go sailing. Every day. $6,000 between two Kilroy Melges 20's. Every. Fucking. Day.

And we haven't even talked about the rest of the program - the exclusive North Sail sail agreement they have, or the untouchable boat preparation, or the accommodations, physical therapists, etc., etc., etc.. Money rules. Every. Fucking. Time.

No one isn't saying the Kilroy kid isn't any good, but what kid wouldn't be with such an incredible advantage? You could plug in about 100 junior sailors from virtually anwahere in the world and they'd be doing exactly this. Maybe even better.

You can't beat this. You will never beat this. Money wins. Every. Fucking. Time. Way to go, winners. You really played an even field - you must be so proud.

Shouldn't you sue us now?

money wins.jpg

unfix8r

Anarchist
Washington
And my dog's breath smells like dog food.

Just another obvious statement there.

Seriously undermines your cred, Ed, if you are just now figuring this out.

I like to say it takes gold to take silver.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
Does it matter though? It obviously matters to other Melges 20 racers but this isn't an Olympic where the giant budget might be crushing others on the way to the national team in what is ostensibly a youth/amateur activity. This looks like a whole lot of money got spent to achieve something that can't actually be worth that amount of money. Or perhaps these people are so rich, that $6000 x 7 days or whatever is comparable to the faction of income the rest of us spend on gas trailering to the race. In which case it's about wealth inequality and the .01%, which is a pretty serious challenge.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
What is the world coming to when a rich guy can excel in yachting competition ?

My God. This Just Won't Do.

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
yes, rich guy wins. but isn't it time to start to have transparency about how much is really being spent?

douglas

Super Anarchist
vancouver bc
yes, rich guy wins. but isn't it time to start to have transparency about how much is really being spent?
why not just have rules saying you can't hire pros? or pros can only make minimum wage? quite frankly, it would be none of your fucking business what i paid my employees of the moment.

if someone wants to spend a suitcase full of money on a race, big deal. there are bigger fish to fry.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
What is the world coming to when a rich guy can excel in yachting competition ?

My God. This Just Won't Do.
+1

There are two reasons to race in a class dominated by pros.

1- they really are -that- good and you can learn a lot.

2- You are really -that- good and can show them up... maybe only occasionally, but enough to satisfy

The third reason, of course, is that you're DELUDED into thinking #2 is the case but it isn't even close; when that happens and you walk away mad... whose fault is that?

FB- Doug

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Money wins!
You are stating the obvious.

Should we take a bunch of money from the Kilroys and spread it around the Melges-20 fleet?

Or re-write the Melges-20 class rules?

Or... what, exactly?

Reminds me of Philippe Kahn a decade or so ago and little Shark, his son.