money wins!

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
It's all about the gear, choose the level you can afford and go out and play. Sailing against pros only makes you better and its lots of fun...if you can learn. Ultimately its up to the class association to control the gear through rules.

Clearly the OP cannot afford to play in the M20 class, perhaps he could try lasers which are probably the most popular racing boat on the planet because its NOT about the gear.

Last I looked there is only one winner no matter how big the fleet is, if winning was everything then very few would continue in our sport, as far as I can tell there is a lot more to racing than a podium finish every time.
Don't you kind of think your last statement was the point of the FP story? It is sad that a few folks with the money to do so and the attitude that winning isn't everything, it is the ONLY thing, kind of suck the fun out of it for the majority that don't feel that way?

oioi

Super Anarchist
Ed posts slightly controversial and trolling rant. Ed drives up traffic to his site. Ed gets increased advertising revenue. Ed buys a new (discounted from advertiser) sail. Ed wins a local yacht race. money wins

ateam

Money helps but is by far Not the Most important factor.,..it is determination, energy, Talent all of which Haß to lead to time on the water.....the more time the better u get. People who Rant about Money spoiling everything have probably Not enough dedication to spent enough time on the water...orsimply Lack Talent....

Hippie

Anarchist
Wayzata, MN
I think it is cool that another generation of is coming into the keelboat scene. We should see more of that. I hope to one day be able to compete with/against my own kids on the water.

The point about spending ungodly sums of money to prepare a 20 foot boat is really the only valid point I see being made. Some owners get a fair bad rap for this behavior but the Melges Classes allow this type of thing to go on. Owning 3 Melges 32's just so you can have extra sail buttons, buying 40 jibs to test out so that you can pick the 3 you wish to have measured but only after extensive recuts. These are things that not even the average rich guy can keep up with.

You have to ask yourself why. Why? What is so important about the Melges 20 or Melges 32 to warrant outspending every competitor? I personally don't get it.
Why? That's an easy one to answer. Because they can. And the class rules allow it.

I was up an Audi steal-er-ship a couple of weeks ago, looking at a used car, and was in the showroom. Several cars over the 100K mark and I asked the salesman why would anybody spend that kind of money on a car? Answer: "Because they can." Point taken...
I understand your point. I think the answer is should be more abstract.

Jono

Super Anarchist
Did the Kilroy family ever sail Etchells? Surely the original owner driver - paid crew class with small crew numbers

Matt B

Super Anarchist
It's all about the gear, choose the level you can afford and go out and play. Sailing against pros only makes you better and its lots of fun...if you can learn. Ultimately its up to the class association to control the gear through rules.

Clearly the OP cannot afford to play in the M20 class, perhaps he could try lasers which are probably the most popular racing boat on the planet because its NOT about the gear.

Last I looked there is only one winner no matter how big the fleet is, if winning was everything then very few would continue in our sport, as far as I can tell there is a lot more to racing than a podium finish every time.
Don't you kind of think your last statement was the point of the FP story? It is sad that a few folks with the money to do so and the attitude that winning isn't everything, it is the ONLY thing, kind of suck the fun out of it for the majority that don't feel that way?
I guess what the M-20 class is trying to say is that you should find another class. Rules are what they are. This kid not only got a lesson in making a boat fast, he learned about optimizing boat, sail shapes, etc... He will be very good at boat set up, and will not need to outspend for long. He probably still will though. Lucky sperm club. Doesn't make him a bad person. I for one hope he continues to pump money into our sport like his dad and grandad have done for a long time.

Dawg

Money helps but is by far Not the Most important factor.,..it is determination, energy, Talent all of which Haß to lead to time on the water.....the more time the better u get. People who Rant about Money spoiling everything have probably Not enough dedication to spent enough time on the water...orsimply Lack Talent....
Boat = $$$$$$$$

Time on the water = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

When you gotta work you gotta work.

G

You can't beat this. You will never beat this. Money wins. Every. Fucking. Time.
No you cant unless its a crappy hollywood movie, but that's life. Reality with a capital R, the only way you can stop money winning is through class rules.

Bsquared

Anarchist
RE horses; my sister used to show up at equestrian events (English saddles, not barrel racing) with an Indian pony in a POS wooden homemade horse trailer :) Not a common sight. She wouldn't trade that early experience for the world; now that she has money she spends way too much of it on fox hunting with real $$$ horses.

Rawhide

Super Anarchist
Pittwater
The owners decide on the rules in their sandpit. Most are probably happy to have high profile $$$$ programs come play. If not they would make it unattractive for these teams. I have always found big ego rich pricks tend to stick together see Farr 40,Swan 42 for instance, don't let them bring their pro's they will soon go elsewhere.