money wins!

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
This is and has always been a money driven sport. You cannot cry when the biggest cheque book wins.
But you can walk away and the history of sailing is full of classes that thrived until one or two started outspending everyone else.

Not sure how much this applies to the M20 because it already seems to be a class where people with very big wallets go and play on little boats.

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
You might as well open a thread amazing money facts in sport.

Every grand slam tournament in tennis earns the winner between 2 and 3.3 mln$ every year every tournament.

So: Australian open, Wimbledon, Roland Garros, US open

Source: http://www.totalsportek.com/money/highest-prize-money-in-tennis-grand-slams/

Transfer wages in football.

Record holder Gareth Bale from Tottenham hotspurs to Real Madrid. 86 mln$

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_association_football_transfers

Price money in golf:

Jordan Spieth Fedex champion. 22 mln $ in 2015

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/28/golf/jordan-spieth-record-winnings/

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Cheer up. There's always golf.

Golf is hard and you can't pay anybody to hit the ball for you.
logo-header-fedex-express.png

Fedex pays golfers to hit their ball.

We have what's called Tall poppy syndrome in Australia Ed. What do you call a dickhead that rubbishes someone else's achievements.

Take it up with the event organisers if you don't like the rules.

Well done the winners. You played by the rules and won fair and square. You should be proud. If this lot don't like it... Fuckem.

Sailing is awesome. Not many sports where you can throw your hat in the ring with the pros. My kids have sailed against olympians, americas cup sailors and a few world champions. That's just at club level. They are all the better for it. You don't get to do that in tennis, golf, or football. I for one hope it never changes.

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
This is and has always been a money driven sport. You cannot cry when the biggest cheque book wins.
But you can walk away and the history of sailing is full of classes that thrived until one or two started outspending everyone else.

Not sure how much this applies to the M20 because it already seems to be a class where people with very big wallets go and play on little boats.
If it was happening in the vipers, or i550, then that would be a surprise. But the m20 has been about money and pros for a long while.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
EddyAllTime said:
So what, a father with the means to give his child the world at his fingertips is apparently a bad thing now? Get fucked.
Yes it is a bad thing actually. I know a few kids who were handed the world on a platter and continue to act like entitled adolescents into middle age,doing fuck all with their lives. At which point it has ceased to be cute.

Last edited by a moderator:

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
EddyAllTime said:
Yet here we have a young kid putting it on the podium... Is he doing fuck all?
When he wins something like the 29er worlds, we'll know he can actually sail. Jury's out until then.
Has Shark Kahn won anything major since his M24 worlds?

Last edited by a moderator:

FinnFish

Super Anarchist
You can't beat this. You will never beat this. Money wins. Every. Fucking. Time. Way to go, winners. You really played an even field - you must be so proud.

Shouldn't you sue us now?
Boo fucking hoo.

And what, you've just come to this conclusion?

Well stop the fucking the press.

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
must be why the america's cup is so expensive... except that Oracle was the biggest spender in the ACV5 valencia series, and didn't bring the cup home at that point...

I like sailing against people who are better than i am, teaches me a lot. The other thing is, if you set yourself a goal, for example win a world cup, one of the things you do as a good manager, is get the best team around you to get the job done. more resources = better team.

i don't think there is a point in discussing the "how much should have been reasonable to spend on events" question.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
i don't think there is a point in discussing the "how much should have been reasonable to spend on events" question.
It's exactly the kind of conversation class association committees I've been involved with do have. As they've seen other classes collapse. M20 isn't however the poster child for the benefits of cost control.

bgytr

Super Anarchist
Nobody is fooling anybody here - Money, plain and simple, won the Melges 20 Miami Winter Regatta. Our guesstimate at the combined daily rate paid to the pros on the first and second place Kilroy boats is something around $6,000. Per day. Every day. That is every race day, practice day (of which there are way, way, way more than actual race days). That is what is paid to the pros. Just to go sailing. Every day. $6,000 between two Kilroy Melges 20's. Every. Fucking. Day.

And we haven't even talked about the rest of the program - the exclusive North Sail sail agreement they have, or the untouchable boat preparation, or the accommodations, physical therapists, etc., etc., etc.. Money rules. Every. Fucking. Time.

No one isn't saying the Kilroy kid isn't any good, but what kid wouldn't be with such an incredible advantage? You could plug in about 100 junior sailors from virtually anwahere in the world and they'd be doing exactly this. Maybe even better.

You can't beat this. You will never beat this. Money wins. Every. Fucking. Time. Way to go, winners. You really played an even field - you must be so proud.

Shouldn't you sue us now?

waawaawaa

can't run with the big dogs, go the fuck home.

pussy.

Le Crabe

Geneva
I don't mind having my butt kicked on the water by people with money. Gives me a standard excuse to trot out every time in the bar afterwards. Rich people also have nice boats to crew on!

Latest posts