money wins!

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
honestly -- who the fuck cares?

what a whiny rant. Apparently there's some 'right' level of money to be spent in a yacht regatta, and anything over that is 'wrong'. That level is somewhere around what the Ed can afford.

What do you reckon the average parents of a Euro/US/Asian opti kid at the top level spend when doing a big regatta? .. and that's on an 8ft shitbox.

If you don't like classes where the pro's play - go join a fleet where they're excluded.

forss

Anarchist
honestly -- who the fuck cares?

what a whiny rant. Apparently there's some 'right' level of money to be spent in a yacht regatta, and anything over that is 'wrong'. That level is somewhere around what the Ed can afford.

What do you reckon the average parents of a Euro/US/Asian opti kid at the top level spend when doing a big regatta? .. and that's on an 8ft shitbox.

If you don't like classes where the pro's play - go join a fleet where they're excluded.
+1

Who cares how much money people spend to have fun.

Melges 20 is pro class from the start.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
This is and has always been a money driven sport. You cannot cry when the biggest cheque book wins.

If you want a bit of perspective try and hang out at your local go-kart track and watch the piles of $$$ spent on little johnnies speeding around the race track. That makes our sport look like a bunch of amateurs when it comes to spending. I have personally seen $15000+ spent on a 3 day race meet for a 12 year old kid to win a state title, not national not world just a Queensland state title.
Are you bragging or complaining?

typical. shoot the messenger. yawn.
That wasn't a message.

That was a rant
Doesn't mean he might not have been right. Winning by massively outspending the opposition? Douche move. Utterly.
But not what happened here.75% of the Melges 20 fleet are spending the same or more.

Fourteen year old with fully funded program beat out twenty adult fully funded programs. It is pretty damn cool.

Step one, put together a good team with good chemistry.

Money can buy top pros. The fleet is laden with top pros. It takes skill leadership and enthusiasm to make the chemistry click. Putting a great team together with a talented 14 year old driver was an inspiring idea. I bet it got the team members stoked. I bet they loved sailing with the kid and it gave the team something extra.

Step two. Practice together. Practice a lot. They did. It showed. Teams with bad karma don't enjoyy practicing, see step one.

Step three. Have an outstanding driver. Ask any pro. The best pros can't put a mediocre driver on the podium.

Step four go to the regatta, competing against some of the best pros in the world and show em that a fourteen year old with that little something extra and a great team can win.

Hats off. I have this feeling that if I spent the same money, the kid would have beat me. I am pretty certain that if the Ed had spent the same money he would have had his arse kicked. That's why he hides in handicap racing. He has forgotten how hard it is to win in one design.

This just in.....Rich guy wins yacht race!

Jim Kilroy's mother dogsledded him and his siblings out of Alaska as a baby, alone.

He built an empire from nothing.

Old weak guys push you off of docks.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
Yo, Scooter, did you sail in this regatta? Were you somehow harmed by Kilory's efforts? Did you think AUDI Melges 20's were for cry babies who want a finishers medal? Holy fucking shit. Your rant is so stupid I can hardly believe I have wasted 10 minutes here reading about it. You are one jealous and bitter mother fucker. For someone who receives their fair of free shit, you sure do a lot of bitching about other's free shit.

Do you leave any stone unturned in your race preparations? If you had the means and the time why would you not do everything allowed to perform your best? If you're weak in one area would you not try to make up for it in another?

Sounds to me like you need to find a different sport.

Yo, Scooter, did you sail in this regatta? Were you somehow harmed by Kilory's efforts? Did you think AUDI Melges 20's were for cry babies who want a finishers medal? Holy fucking shit. Your rant is so stupid I can hardly believe I have wasted 10 minutes here reading about it. You are one jealous and bitter mother fucker. For someone who receives their fair of free shit, you sure do a lot of bitching about other's free shit.

Do you leave any stone unturned in your race preparations? If you had the means and the time why would you not do everything allowed to perform your best? If you're weak in one area would you not try to make up for it in another?

This is a guy who boasts about beating Beneteau cruisers with a M32 on beer can races.

I would imagine hes having a good laugh about the bait taking.

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA

This is a guy who boasts about beating Beneteau cruisers with a M32 on beer can races.

I would imagine hes having a good laugh about the bait taking.
He isn't baiting anyone. This is classic Scooter binky sucking bullshit. And he wants transparency? For a PRIVATE regatta using PRIVATE funds earned from a PRIVATE business? It's such a stupid premise. It's as stupid as trying to discuss chemtrails or alien coverups with someone.

sidmon

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Sure looks like Ed and Clean get all agitated when anything touching "Melges" doesn't fit their Fascist Fuck narrative...

Have to wonder what the money angle is in all that?

Giles

Anarchist
Bernie Sanders take over the front page or something?

Some classes have controls over pros and sail allowances, some don't. Rules are clear. Don't like the rules, change classes.

Go Fuck Yourself

Super Anarchist
Fuckoffville
Anyone care to flip the coin and tell us about all the good money thrown at losing? So, there aren't any rich guys out there spending a dump truck worth of cash into our sport (thanks all the same by the way) and getting their asses handed to them? Haven't any of you looked back off the transom and smiled at the rich fucker behind you? Fleeting at best, but it happens...

Young Kilroy, nice job. Oh, and thank your dad for dumping some tall dinero in to our sport and the local economy. Keep up the good work. don't chip your golden tooth on the cup at the bar ;) .

Inversely, we'd all have a big fucking laugh at the kid if he finished DFL. Oh wait, that would be mean too...

Speng

Super Anarchist
Cincinnati, OH
Come on, the M20 is a money pit anyway it's always been that way, it's the way it was setup. The guys running M20 "campaigns" think 3 pros is chump change compared to their M32 or TP52 campaigns kinda like how guys would think Mumm30s were chump change as trainers for big IMS boats or custom built 5.5m were for 12s back in the day. It's not like the geezer rocked up at a Viper 640 regatta with the pimp program a beat a bunch of "only" upper middle class folk, you can be sure that there were a bunch of other M20 teams with similar levels of spending run by other trust fund babies/captains of industry.

And who cares whether the kid ever does anything for the rest of his life, Dad bought him a meaningless trophy. Guess what? All the time and $ you spend schlepping your kids to football, baseball and cricket practice and tournaments and buying them all kinds of gear is going to be for naught because they'll almost certainly never play after graduating high school. Maybe they'll learn some interesting life lessons. Or something...

Latest posts