Moonshot Artemis

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Well, back to the moon. The test flight will circle the moon. NBC "The journey is intended to put the SLS vehicle, considered the world’s most complex and powerful rocketship, through a rigorous stress test of its systems during an actual flight before it is deemed ready to carry astronauts."

For sure but I hafta wonder if this is a fly by to see what the Chinese are up to and maybe even leave a spy sat behind. The Chinese and Rooskies are planning a joint base right now. That can't be a good combo ... for us.

"2021-2026:
Reconnaissance, featuring three manned missions to the Moon by Russia and China.
2026-2035: Build, which will involve creating the autonomously operating station.
2036 onwards: Occupance, meaning crews can live and work at the station and use it as a stop on the way to other space-based mission destinations ... China and Russia plan to build five structures on the Moon’s surface. The first will be built for resource extraction to help power the rest of the station. The two countries also issued an invitation for international partners like Saudi Arabia, Thailand, and the European Space Agency to pitch into the effort." ILRS

Resource extraction ... yeah.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Russia can't afford a space program any more.

I hope we can gain by hiring a bunch of their former space engineers, they have more experience than anybody else although with far less sophisticated equipment.

WhoaTed

Antichrist
Holland, MI
Hey hey…
F672DAE3-BBE1-4AB0-A452-CF82E17AF735.jpeg

mikewof

mikewof
Russia can't afford a space program any more.

I hope we can gain by hiring a bunch of their former space engineers, they have more experience than anybody else although with far less sophisticated equipment.

Russia doesn't need to afford a space program anymore. China is going to pay for it. And those "space engineers" as you call them, do you think they are being recruited into the USA much these day? They are being funded by China. In my old physics program there were two Russians compared to about thirty Asians. The "less sophisticated equipment" was in many ways more advanced than anything we have, because they have the ability to handle stuff for which we have little expertise, like nonlinear fluid dynamics, vacuum physics, field emissions and below-ground-state effects.

Russia is now persona non grata, in the USA, their scientists won't be headed here anytime soon unless we can find a way to de-escalate this war in The Ukraine. They even pulled out of the ISS, with great fanfare from the usual suspects in the PA.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
If the USA really needed any of the Russian scientists, we'd just use the same machinations we used to get all the German rocket & nuclear scientists at the end of WW2. Werner Von Braun led the team developing the V2, but that was OK, he was the best rocket scientist of the day.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Forgive my Debbi Downer attitude!!

The technology is very cool, but I don't think anyone really wants to live on Mars or a Moon colony?

I think of all the good those billions of dollars could do, and it seems wasteful.

RANT OFF..
People said the same thing about Apollo - "why waste money on that when there are problems here on Earth".

That attitude simply means nothing adventurous would ever happen - there are always and will always be problems here on Earth.

We can do both.

Last edited:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
If the USA really needed any of the Russian scientists, we'd just use the same machinations we used to get all the German rocket & nuclear scientists at the end of WW2. Werner Von Braun led the team developing the V2, but that was OK, he was the best rocket scientist of the day.
What?

Kidnap them?

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
People said the same thing about Apollo - "why waste money on that when there are problems here on Earth".

That attitude simply means nothing adventurous would ever happen - the are always and will always be problems here on Earth.

We can do both.[/b{

Canada has a space program?

Ishmael

Fuctifino
I'm rather fond of breathing myself.

How is a moon base a good pit stop planet? It seems like staying at your neighbor's house for the night before you leave on a non-stop cross country drive...

Are we going to refine the moon into rocket fuel?

If you live in a deep valley and your neighbour is on a high mountain top...
The earth has a much deeper gravity well than the moon. Most fuel resources are spent getting off the ground here. There are signs that there are things that could be mined or refined on the moon and that would make sense to start from there. Oxygen, water, metals...

MaxHeadroom

Super Anarchist
Mining for oxygen on the moon...

You're funny!
Work with me here -

They have found ice on the N & S pole of the moon.

Ice is frozen water. Water is 2 parts Hydrogen and 1 part Oxygen, ie: H2O

In addition to breathing, want to make a guess what can propel rockets?

And as mentioned by the poster above, the moon has a much easier gravity well to escape than the earth does.

Any questions?