moore 33

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
moore-33-1.jpg

The new Moore 33.  A pretty conventional looking Alan Andrews design, light weight – 3,700 pounds, retractable keel. But why not a retractable sprit? It seems ridiculous not to have one. Can you say Melges 32?

Check it out.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
In areas where the overall boat length is measured for slip rent, a retracting pole will save you a large amount of money

IMR

Anarchist
SF Bay Area
its hard to fly screeches/MHG and Code 0 on retractable sprits there is just a lot of load to deal with.   We had a MHG on the 125 last year and we had issues with the bobstay and pole out line, oh and it all leaked.   

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
@Editor on insta you called it boring and dated. What would you change? Seems like fun to me, just curious how you’d improve.

I like the more modern rig than the Melges and it appears that it will have a larger cabin without more weight. There was definitely not an option for a real head on the Melges 32 that I’m aware of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
UT
I like the design.  I like that it's simple and conventional looking.  I think the French shorthanded boats are fugly and the systems required for twin rudders, retracting sprits and such just add to complexity and opportunities for breakdown and water ingress.  It's spec'ed much sportier than the J/99 as well. I hope they sell a ton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I like it. Talked to a guy working at the shop. they are making tooling.

I'm not in the market. I hope they sell lots of em.

I think it is silly to have a bow like that today. A fuller bow which means the knuckle is well above the waterline is proven faster in all fleets: from skiffs and planing dinghies, reaching back to FDs and 5o5 but certainly including Aussie 18s and 49ers, and of course so undeniably demonstrated by the mini 650 class and Class 40.

Such bows do not need to be ugly. Sure, the recent examples are not just ugly, but ugly. However, the 5o5 is one of the prettiest boats on the bay. That 5o5 bow is beautiful and very, very fast upwind and down.

I think it is silly to have a bolt on short sprit as shown. Short is stupid, I mean retarded. There is no excuse. Bolt on is also a dumb, dumb choice. A bolt on sprit where the sideways load is carried by the laminations on the sides of that sprit and the bow, is HEAVY and weak. The sprit should be like on a Mini 650: easily stowed, with side stays and bobstay, with vertical support (just the weight of the sprit) carried by a line(s) to the top of the bow pulpit. A Min 650 style sprit is dramatically cheaper and lighter, and can then be of an appropriate length, something like 12 to 15 feet. If you want to plane, you need the bow lift that comes from a long sprit. And of course, the longer the sprit, the faster and more fun. And cheaper!!!! And lighter!!!

I am glad it has a single rudder. Double rudders suck so severely.

It does not seem to have a lifting keel, so the keel and draft makes a lot of sense. Personally, I would keep the keel simple, as is.

But to ease trailering, and to make the boat more widely useful on lakes, the Gulf Coast, the East Coast, a lifting keel can have several big advantages. Structurally more efficient:

1) A win for reducing materials and therefore cost;

2) A win for safety, as impact loads get spread throughout the entire structure. With ramp or small hoist launches especially at lakes, groundings will be common;

3) A win for market, in that the boat might be 12' deep keel down in the Pacific, 7' keel down along the East Coast, and 5' keel down in lakes. Maybe make the bulb interchangeable to three different length foils.