Most Evil

Grabbler

Grabbler
All amateurs compared to the "Chicken wing cartel"...seen the price of bone and gristle lately?...

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
If I'm at the car dealer and get treated with even a whiff of the disrespect that's "normal" at the airport I can raise holy hell, scare the shit out of everybody, file a formal complaint and leave. The airport has complete and utter control of you once you enter. Any sign of non-compliance and you are immediately a "security threat" and your ability to function is shut down. When I mentioned to a stewardess that I had paid a lot for a different seat she shrugged and said I should contact the airline. Everybody in earshot laughed.

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
We bought a new car a couple months ago. We got mostly what we wanted but the inventory……even nationally……had pretty slim pickings. In keeping with the screw everybody as much as possible there was an extra entry on the sticker price related to the “shortage” of inventory. I don’t remember what it was called but I just shook my head. I negotiated most of it away before the purchase, but what a racket……
Yep, it seems the dealers are advertising as usual but pulling from the same inventory pool, when a sale is made the vehicle is shipped ASAP to wherever. Maybe they will find this business model more profitable than the traditional floor plan where the customer can walk the lot and kick tires. I fear this as it takes buyers negotiating leverage away.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Re airlines.
You get what you pay for even in economy class.
In 1986, one paid about $2000au for a Melbourne to London flight economy class.
Food was good even great depending on where it was loaded, wine flowed, blankets and pillows plentiful, hosties looked after you. They'd block off the seats on non full flights to give parents room for their kids to have an extra couple of seats
skip ahead 30 years, ticket Melb to london is around $1800, food is awful, you get one pillow, hosties are brusque and wine is one glass of horrid red with dinner.
Interstate flights, you're lucky to gat a stale cheese roll or a pie.

That 1986 flight was saved up for, now we shuttle back and fourth without blinking.
If you want good service on international flights, pay more and travel less.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
The airlines are what the public want - a race to the bottom. Enough people are willing to put up with shit service in order to save a buck or two.
Airlines in the USA have a monopoly on travel, and we gave it to them,
Other countries have High speed trains 200 mph (Canada is even working one that does 600) in Florida "Brightlines" does 80, and when done from Miami to Orlando avg speed will be 30, if it doesn't hit any cars (which is about 1 a week) and car traffic with all the big SUV's is a nightmare.
With so little vacation time and people need to fly for a weekday for some kids (grandchild) thing. We get what we want, at what cost?

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
If I'm at the car dealer and get treated with even a whiff of the disrespect that's "normal" at the airport I can raise holy hell, scare the shit out of everybody, file a formal complaint and leave. The airport has complete and utter control of you once you enter. Any sign of non-compliance and you are immediately a "security threat" and your ability to function is shut down. When I mentioned to a stewardess that I had paid a lot for a different seat she shrugged and said I should contact the airline. Everybody in earshot laughed.

Why don't you do their job for a few weeks and see what it is like? How many videos have been posted here of assholes being assholes on flights?

And the gate and ticketing agents... they have heard it all and don't have time for bullshit when they are doing their best to accommodate you and the 150 people behind you.

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
Yep, it seems the dealers are advertising as usual but pulling from the same inventory pool, when a sale is made the vehicle is shipped ASAP to wherever. Maybe they will find this business model more profitable than the traditional floor plan where the customer can walk the lot and kick tires. I fear this as it takes buyers negotiating leverage away.

They know what is hot, and what is not, what options and colors, and so on - the days if the knock-down drag-out negotiations are done.

munt

Super Anarchist
The belt
Obviously not the fault of front line airline workers. It's the corporate scum who design an impossible situation for both workers and customers.

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
Airlines in the USA have a monopoly on travel, and we gave it to them,
Other countries have High speed trains 200 mph (Canada is even working one that does 600) in Florida "Brightlines" does 80, and when done from Miami to Orlando avg speed will be 30, if it doesn't hit any cars (which is about 1 a week) and car traffic with all the big SUV's is a nightmare.
With so little vacation time and people need to fly for a weekday for some kids (grandchild) thing. We get what we want, at what cost?

It is cheaper and faster for me to fly from Paris to Munich than to take the train... Unless you're getting a first-class ticket (very costly) on the train, don't expect much of anything.

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
Obviously not the fault of front line airline workers. It's the corporate scum who design an impossible situation for both workers and customers.
Get the airline app and use that; even though your results may vary, at least your not jerking off on the phone.

I get it; airline travel is not fun anymore... I have been doing this grind since 1985 and have seen the decline to a rapid decline in the past few years. I am getting ready to be stuck in a tube for 12 hours for a trip to Amsterdam in a few weeks. The worst part of this trip... fighting the 101 and the 405, then the Tom Bradley terminal... what a clusterphuck...

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
Hello Mr. Ventucky This is Dewey Scremenandhow from Toyota service.. Yea we just looked at your car, and you'll need to remortgage your house to pay for what services we're recommending.

Me.. that's nice, I'll take it under advisement... when are you going to be done with the free oil change?

To my fortune, I have a pretty decent local shop I have been working with for years. Got upset with me one time because I had him do the breaks - which he knows I can do..
i can pretty much do everything they have on their standard service... but I only save $15 or so on the oil change and I can't be bothered with finding where they hide the oil filter and drain plug, opening the hood, it's pretty darn tight in there... and I don't have to go to the recycling center to get rid of the oil... i was just astonished that they were recommending oil additives to fresh synthetic oil.. i have to call Mobil tech support and tell them that toyota thinks their syn oil isn't good enough..

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Later dudes
As for the airline industry, personal I say no. I would pop that up a level. The airlines bad service are a symptom of late stage capitalism. They do exactly what they are told to do by McKinsey and the corporate raider activist shareholder private equity hedge fund assholes: cut the shit out of everything, abuse the employees, squeeze the customers, move the jobs to India, max out the debt, shut down investment in innovation. It’s every American industry that isn’t dead already.

Putin can win this sweepstakes and retire the title if he pops off a nuke. I feel like there’s a 30% chance of that. Scary.

Failing that, Hitler is # 1.
# 2 is the US a private equity industry
# 3 is serial killers who eat people

After that its the list of dictators and dictatorships, in whatever order. They are all the same, and there will be more of them, that humanity, people!

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
i can pretty much do everything they have on their standard service... but I only save $15 or so on the oil change and I can't be bothered with finding where they hide the oil filter and drain plug, opening the hood, it's pretty darn tight in there... and I don't have to go to the recycling center to get rid of the oil... i was just astonished that they were recommending oil additives to fresh synthetic oil.. i have to call Mobil tech support and tell them that toyota thinks their syn oil isn't good enough..

Around here, all the top mechanics swear by the German-made Liqui Moly synthetic oil, also their transmission fluid, and other lubricants.