Moth boat work: how much and what kind?

dohertpk

That's really interesting 

Waspz doesn't need much more wind than a moth, comes with a large sail that most people use (in my club everyone exclusively uses the large sail except one girl). Three years ago Minorca Sailing might have been the old foils, they were replaced by larger ones in 2018 or 2019 - made a big difference. It's also easier and faster to launch than a moth so if you found that difficult, you're unlikely to be able to launch a moth at all. 

I'm very surprised to hear your local fleet is exclusively kids - they are still an expensive boat. Also kids would be foiling in about 10 knots because they are light and the sail and foils are large so that sounds unlikely.

My local fleet is a really good mix of about 7 x 45-60 year olds (parents), about 10 of their kids (16-23 year olds) and about 10 x 30-something year olds. Close to 50-50 gender split. Most clubs are the same. Lot of parents share boats with their kids, and lots of 30 somethings that don't want the hassle of a moth. I am the last moth sailing in my harbour and will probably switch the waspz in the future. 
That's really interesting. I didn't realise that a new foil had been developed and I'm sure it does make all the difference. Yeah there are four yacht clubs (note I didn't say sailing clubs) in my local harbour where the good and great of Ireland's aristocracy like to flaunt their wealth. The kids are sent out to play on expensive toys while mummy and daddy motor about in their floating baubles. I always thought the moth looked a good deal easier to launch than the Waszp. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought you can just rig it on the slip, put it on your shoulder and walk it out. With a hull weight of 50kg, I suppose you could probably do that with a Waszp but it would want to be a short slip! Having said that, my only experience of launching the Waszp was at Minorca and I don't think they had the process quite dialled in yet. Interestingly, they got rid of the two Waszps they had and got Skeetas instead. Fiddling with split rings on an unstable boat on the water just seemed like a bad way to start the day. Given the insights shared above, I'm just going to stick with my IQ foil. It seems to be a bit faster than a Waszp and is considerably cheaper than a moth. It's also interesting to hear that you'd consider swapping the moth for a Waszp - I know at least one sailor who did the same here.

chris_wht

Insurance is dear for both, and currently not possible for the moths - very difficult to find insurance if at all. You may need to pay for rib support in the beginning (or in the case of some people, all the time) which isn't cheap either, and have a driver out. I found myself very quickly spending a lot of money on stuff like dyneema, carbon, buying tools like a Dremel, drill etc, expensive bits from china, replacement foils once (€2k - and wasn't able to claim on insurance), sail repairs, blocks etc etc. I love foiling, but it is also very frustrating, costly and time consuming and sometimes I think I'll just sell everything and get a wingfoil. 
Had to comment on a couple of half truths here... the insurance is admittedly not cheap for fully comp, but i dont understand this comment on not possible, Noble marine insure moths fully comp and third party, and actually sponsor the UK class association!  :ph34r:

they have also replaced one of my foils for me under insurance a few years back (before i switched to third party only for £46 a year)

some comments about launching from my experience... the moth is probably the easiest boat ive ever launched - sailed / owned 14's, 800s, rs600, admittedly not tried a waszp but i cant see how it would be easier than sling it on the shoulder and carry it into the water. light and easy to move on the shore, and no trying to call someone down to the water with your trolley if your sailing solo. it has got a fair bit worse with the high wing bars and low rigs though!

You've been reading too much SimonN. As a newbie to the class with a 12k production Moth that wasn't going to happen. Maybe 15 kn once you get the hang of it, 17 kn after a season or two.
think you probably could, but certainly not on the foils and rig the 12k moth came with..and not in your first few seasons. 

im saying nothing about boatwork, as ive just built my own moth.....

dohertpk

Currently sail a Musto Skiff...can't be any harder to launch than that. Moths look more like windsurfers to launch. 

guppy2

Had to comment on a couple of half truths here... the insurance is admittedly not cheap for fully comp, but i dont understand this comment on not possible, Noble marine insure moths fully comp and third party, and actually sponsor the UK class association!  :ph34r:

they have also replaced one of my foils for me under insurance a few years back (before i switched to third party only for £46 a year)

some comments about launching from my experience... the moth is probably the easiest boat ive ever launched - sailed / owned 14's, 800s, rs600, admittedly not tried a waszp but i cant see how it would be easier than sling it on the shoulder and carry it into the water. light and easy to move on the shore, and no trying to call someone down to the water with your trolley if your sailing solo. it has got a fair bit worse with the high wing bars and low rigs though!

think you probably could, but certainly not on the foils and rig the 12k moth came with..and not in your first few seasons. 

im saying nothing about boatwork, as ive just built my own moth.....
Last email I got from Noble verbatim: With reference to the above policy in respect of your International Moth which falls due for renewal on 9th June 2021. We are no longer able to offer terms to non UK residents. The policy will automatically expire at renewal date. If we can be of further assistance etc etc. 

As for launching, depends where you launch from. If you are launching off a pontoon it can be easy to drop the boat in the water (but difficult/awkward to get it out). Don't know about beaches. But if you're launching from a slip, the waspz is hands down the easier boat. Moth has to be carried down and depending on your size, whether you have a deck sweeper in the way or how many lasers and oppys are also trying to launch, this can be pretty tricky. Seen a few people (myself included) wreck the top of the luff pocket where it wears away going headfirst into the water/scraping the slip - a painful repair job that not all sailmakers will do. The waspz just wheels into the water, you pull the foils down and go. And when you come back in at low water, it's a lot less work that dragging a moth up. And while you won't need someone to bring your trolley down for the moth, there's a good chance you will need someone to guide you up and down the slip when you can't see anything from behind the tramps and there's oppy trolleys near your feet or walls close to your horizontal tips...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts