Moth Wing #2 Bora

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Yeah I got one too. And Bora's story is late, but it'll be here by Wednesday morning's front page, and you won't find it on Sail-World ;)

Anyone wanna try a guess at why it looks so familiar?

10_29257_Moth_Wing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Windy6327

Clean,

this isn't a pissing contest, no need to get defensive. They just had it up before you had shots of yours and i thought it to be in the interest of the anarchy masses to see a photo of the beast.

Looks clean, 2 element? and yeh Magnus Clark designed it so should prove to be powerful and "light" (hopefully more robust than the C Class stuff).

Other images I've seen of it make it look like a 3 element job...

Would like to know it's rough weight, and most importantly if Object2 would consider going into wing production, seeming as it took them with bora and kotoun's help a little over a week to make this one...

Windy6327

I wondered whether it was 3 element as well. Though from the sail-world photo it looks more like a 2 element.

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
It needs to be a two element to comply with the July IMCA exec rule interpretation which goes something like:

The bit which is held up with the stays is measured as the mast, the bit which attaches to the mast is measured as the sail and the class only allows one sail.

What might be there is an attached flap on the mast trailing edge, so long as there is no gap then its not an extra sail.

Its early days of moth wings and how the rules will be interpretted, and how they will be measured will undoubtably mature with time.

There is some serious planning underway in Aust, so Adam and Bora may not be alone in wing land come Belmont. Some of the ideas are quite different.

Apologies to Bora/whoever took the photo - this one shows the wing details a little bit better.

It does look like a flap on the 1st element, no slot. Still, does this make it a sail because last time I checked it's pretty hard to have a mast that can change it's section shape...

/monthly_10_2010/post-7689-095741800%201286863102_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• borawing.jpg
    borawing.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 11

morrisre

Super Anarchist
There is no gap between a mast and an ordinary bolt rope sail either. Wouldn't of said having a gap was the issue, just separately trimable should be enough to consider it the sail? Then what ever the thing off the back is becomes the problem.

Cant wait to see it on the water though. Very cool.

teknologika

Anarchist
Apologies to Bora/whoever took the photo - this one shows the wing details a little bit better.

It does look like a flap on the 1st element, no slot. Still, does this make it a sail because last time I checked it's pretty hard to have a mast that can change it's section shape...
There are not any rules that state that a mast is not allowed to bend for the specific task of changing the shape of the sail.

teknologika

Anarchist
There is no gap between a mast and an ordinary bolt rope sail either. Wouldn't of said having a gap was the issue, just separately trimable should be enough to consider it the sail? Then what ever the thing off the back is becomes the problem.

Cant wait to see it on the water though. Very cool.

The gap is a non-issue, under the moth rules you could sail with a jib or spinnaker if you wanted, as long as you only had one sail and one mast.

Giles

Anarchist
Yeah I got one too. And Bora's story is late, but it'll be here by Wednesday morning's front page, and you won't find it on Sail-World ;)

Anyone wanna try a guess at why it looks so familiar?
Since I have inside info I'll abstain from answering. But I will say I laughed when told about the design process and how simple it was and was also told that the stays are there to both hold the mast upright and because it is lighter than air and would float away otherwise.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
It would also look familiar because it's essentially the top piece of Canaan's rig with some modifications.

Full piece from Bora tonight, along with another huge surprise from the Canaan program, on the front page.

And it's 3 element AFAIK...it goes swimming today...