Motor Scooter Anarchy?

slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
Thought about getting another bike after not riding for 30 years.   But with all of the inattentive and/or angry drivers out there combined with the heavy and hot "all the gear all the time" safety gear that would make you melt on a summer day around here I bought a Miata instead.  Where the safety gear is a baseball cap and suntan lotion and a hot day means turning on the AC even when the top is down.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Retiring very soon, and would like a Vespa scooter, or something similar to go to the store of Post Office.  It appears there are dozens and dozens of different choices, and Vespa's are pricey, compared to many.  I would love to get a motorcycle again but haven't ridden in 40 years, and with so many distracted drivers texting and other stuff, I think it's possibly not a good idea.  :(  Good friend of ours who is 4 years younger than my 66, started riding a few years back, as her SO is an afficianado, owning restored Nortons, a newer Ducati and BMW.  So naturally she wanted to ride with him and his friends.  In the last 5 or so years, she has twice been hit by aging guys who probably should not be stilll driving.  Broke her Femur the first time, and shoulder the 2nd time.  I think that a 50cc Scooter and a bicycle helmet, should be a safer way to get back into 2 wheel motoring.  Opinions from the SA Peanut Gallery, please?   :D
In my limited experience..  (Owned a couple bikes in college, neighbor had a vespa and best friends bro had a 50 cc Honda to get to school.  Grew up on a snow runner though, so I do have the skilz...)  Power is your friend if you are taking it anywhere near a major drag, so in your situation, I would 100% get a vespa if you can afford it.  If you are tooling around the retirement community dodging golf carts, well the 50cc honda will do.  You need the power to get away from the idiots.   I don't know the laws in your state about using bike lanes w a scooter, might make sense to get an electric bike??   

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
I bought a fat tire ebike a few years ago. Used it as a land dingy when I brought my trawler up the ditch. hung it on a rack on my RV when was wandering around out west Skiing a couple seasons ago, used it a lot in the snow. There is an aftermarket kit for this to convert to 2 wheel drive... tempting. 

Use it all the time around the house for short hops to neighbors or nearby friends houses. It'll do 20-25mph for about 30 miles on flat ground with a full charge. Most of my roundtrips on the thing are under 5 miles. This was the cheapest fat tire I could find online. $800. There are better bikes out there with better range and components, but all in all I've been pretty happy with this one. 

replacement batteries for these things are the killer... a little bit more than half the cost of the bike.

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
As a fellow motorist/commuting moto rider, I am not a big fan of a 30 MPH bike you don't have to pedal to get to get to that speed.

In my mind it inhabits a dangerous middle ground especially in 25 and 30 MPH neighborhood streets. It can pass regular bikes in the bike lane at over 20 MPH in some cases and its really difficult to determine what the people are going to do when approaching intersections and left turns etc. No turn signals, no brake lights.I think they should be speed limited to 15 MPH unless equipped with signal lights and motorcycle helmets are worn.

Also, I went on a mountain bike ride which took significant effort to reach vistas where you would previously see horse people and hikers. Now we are looking at the nice view with dickheads on e-bikes who pass you in a cloud of dust when you are in the lowest gear turning yourself inside out. Not a big fan of non-pedal assist e-bikes. Did you notice :)

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
As a fellow motorist/commuting moto rider, I am not a big fan of a 30 MPH bike you don't have to pedal to get to get to that speed.

In my mind it inhabits a dangerous middle ground especially in 25 and 30 MPH neighborhood streets. It can pass regular bikes in the bike lane at over 20 MPH in some cases and its really difficult to determine what the people are going to do when approaching intersections and left turns etc. No turn signals, no brake lights.I think they should be speed limited to 15 MPH unless equipped with signal lights and motorcycle helmets are worn.

Also, I went on a mountain bike ride which took significant effort to reach vistas where you would previously see horse people and hikers. Now we are looking at the nice view with dickheads on e-bikes who pass you in a cloud of dust when you are in the lowest gear turning yourself inside out. Not a big fan of non-pedal assist e-bikes. Did you notice :)
Motor = Motor imho especially on mtn biking trails that are not in a mtn bike park...  Ban em from the remote stuff otherwise you will get gaytor up there on his vespa... 

Last edited by a moderator:

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
What are the cycle lanes like where you live?

E Bike is an option
I rode an e-bike around downtown Vancouver (which has lots of bike lanes). I was comfortable around 30 km/h (20 mph). This is a faster pace than most recreational cyclists except the Sunday lycra boys.

Super easy and barely felt anything after pedalling about 20+ km at a fast pace. And you get some exercise.

Small tire gas scooters are a bit frightening at speed. I was doing about 110 km/h on Atutaki, one of the Cook Islands and realized if I hit a pothole at that speed it would not be good. Nearest small hospital was Rarotonga, nearest good hospital would be NZ...  If you do go that route, get a Honda not a Vespa. Vespas look cool but are not as reliable.

Depending on your jurisdiction's laws watch out for "e scooters". In BC they were calling them e-bikes and they had little fold in pedals so to pretend they were e-bikes. But nobody ever used the pedals. They were not licensed. And they easily exceeded the speed limits on e-bikes (probably push a button on the display to set max speed) They were existing in a legal grey area until the province cracked down. 

"The British Columbia Court of Appeal has upheld a B.C. Supreme Court ruling that e-bikes designed to look and function more like mopeds or scooters do not meet the province's definition of a motor-assisted cycle and therefore require a driver's licence, registration and insurance."

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Friend in Newport, RI commutes to/from work at Harken on his Honda.  Both he and his wife have them and love them.

That said...if it's not too far, get an ebike.  They're huge here in Park City.  Parents taking kids to school...people getting around town, doing their shopping.  Rad Power Bikes is pretty popular.  

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
I have been looking at one of these for putting around town.. I have used up all my motorcycle 9 lives four times over..   dare not get on another one...

I think I have a couple of my 9 lives left to give.  When I was 24, I was riding a friends BMW R75/6 home for lunch on a beautiful, sunny, very warm for February day.  A woman waiting to turn left  across my lane into a gas station didn't see me, in spite of headlight being always on.   She pulled in front of me before I had any time to react.  I was launched over top of her Capri and landed 40 or more feet away in front of a gas pump.  Cracked my Bell helmet near my left ear, and shattered my left wrist.  Later on in life I endo-d a bugeye Sprite without injury, and rolled a VW bug, breaking my collar bone.  The closest to meeting the grim reaper was a gale in the nor'east Atlantic in December taking a Gulfstar 40 to France from Florida for a 3M exec.  Amemometer cups blew off at 80 knots, and 40 foot waves topped with 10 feet of breaking waves hitting us on the port rear quarter.  We had chains, sea anchor and rodes trailing aft to keep her stern to, but the windage on the bare pole Mizzen kicked the stern to starboard. We couldn't steer, so tied off the helm, and brought the life raft below so it couldn't be swept off the deck, and drank rum.   Water from breaking waves flattened the stainless stern pulpit to the deck from water hitting the horseshoe MOB float, and blew out lexan aft cabin port holes, shattering teak doors to kindling.  Bent the rudder shaft and cracked some bulkhead to hull joints.  Rolled over so far one time, the condiment jars in the galley cabinets crashed on the ceiling above my main berth, and the shattered bottles fell on my sleeping bag when she righted.  Limped to the Azores and left her there.... 

I'm liking the idea of a cheap electric scooter or bike to start, and see how it goes.  

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
Retiring very soon, and would like a Vespa scooter, or something similar to go to the store of Post Office.  It appears there are dozens and dozens of different choices, and Vespa's are pricey, compared to many.  I would love to get a motorcycle again but haven't ridden in 40 years, and with so many distracted drivers texting and other stuff, I think it's possibly not a good idea.  :(  Good friend of ours who is 4 years younger than my 66, started riding a few years back, as her SO is an afficianado, owning restored Nortons, a newer Ducati and BMW.  So naturally she wanted to ride with him and his friends.  In the last 5 or so years, she has twice been hit by aging guys who probably should not be stilll driving.  Broke her Femur the first time, and shoulder the 2nd time.  I think that a 50cc Scooter and a bicycle helmet, should be a safer way to get back into 2 wheel motoring.  Opinions from the SA Peanut Gallery, please?   :D
Buy one of the restored Nortons.  I should never have gotten rid of mine back in the  70s after repairing it from a t-bone.  But wife at the time said we could not afford enough life insurance.  I think I found it again for sale in Vermont about 20 years ago.  Wife at that time said, "Sure, but buy more life insurance, too."  They'd never met.

EDIT:  Injury rate link https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33139141/

But if not, dare to be different.  Different might get you seen.

uni scooter.png

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
USA
I think I have a couple of my 9 lives left to give.  When I was 24, I was riding a friends BMW R75/6 home for lunch on a beautiful, sunny, very warm for February day.  A woman waiting to turn left  across my lane into a gas station didn't see me, in spite of headlight being always on.   She pulled in front of me before I had any time to react.  I was launched over top of her Capri and landed 40 or more feet away in front of a gas pump.  Cracked my Bell helmet near my left ear, and shattered my left wrist.  Later on in life I endo-d a bugeye Sprite without injury, and rolled a VW bug, breaking my collar bone.  The closest to meeting the grim reaper was a gale in the nor'east Atlantic in December taking a Gulfstar 40 to France from Florida for a 3M exec.  Amemometer cups blew off at 80 knots, and 40 foot waves topped with 10 feet of breaking waves hitting us on the port rear quarter.  We had chains, sea anchor and rodes trailing aft to keep her stern to, but the windage on the bare pole Mizzen kicked the stern to starboard. We couldn't steer, so tied off the helm, and brought the life raft below so it couldn't be swept off the deck, and drank rum.   Water from breaking waves flattened the stainless stern pulpit to the deck from water hitting the horseshoe MOB float, and blew out lexan aft cabin port holes, shattering teak doors to kindling.  Bent the rudder shaft and cracked some bulkhead to hull joints.  Rolled over so far one time, the condiment jars in the galley cabinets crashed on the ceiling above my main berth, and the shattered bottles fell on my sleeping bag when she righted.  Limped to the Azores and left her there.... 
Holy fuck Billy, thats quite a tale of disaster at sea barely avoided!

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Holy fuck Billy, thats quite a tale of disaster at sea barely avoided!

Yeah, it was pretty hairy-scary!  I was around 24, I remember because I had a fiberglass cast on my arm to protect it, since I had recently had a plate screwed to my shattered forearm bone, from a boating accident trying to fend off a boat we were about to hit on the 20' Stonington tug we were on. I remember breaking out into a sweat and nearly fainting from the pain of the shattered bone.  Later, I ended up cutting the cast off with a hacksaw blade, during the journey, as the hot weather leaving Florida made it sweaty, itchy and very stinky!!

Yeah, it was pretty hairy-scary!  I was around 24, I remember because I had a fiberglass cast on my arm to protect it, since I had recently had a plate screwed to my shattered forearm bone, from a boating accident trying to fend off a boat we were about to hit on the 20' Stonington tug we were on. I remember breaking out into a sweat and nearly fainting from the pain of the shattered bone.  Later, I ended up cutting the cast off with a hacksaw blade, during the journey, as the hot weather leaving Florida made it sweaty, itchy and very stinky!!
Damn Billy you are one tough mfer I guess you have to be because you are so accident prone!  :p

None the less Chuck Norris tips his hat to ya.

06B647AF-4151-48D0-A663-7CE4CB03B617.png

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
With a 750big bore kit. :D   Note these are not about power per se, but about driveability/ powerband and an exhaust note.  I would be foolish to go dragging a knee again,  my eyesight is failing and I want to ride a little bit before I can not.
the engine looked familiar. I commuted on a 650 Special II for a few years. it was the road bike that handled the most like my DT400 enduro. classic lines, great exhaust note and a pretty smooth ride for a twin. and had a comfortable riding position. It was also light enough for me to pick up if I laid it down. 

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
the engine looked familiar. I commuted on a 650 Special II for a few years. it was the road bike that handled the most like my DT400 enduro. classic lines, great exhaust note and a pretty smooth ride for a twin. and had a comfortable riding position. It was also light enough for me to pick up if I laid it down. 
It is unfortunate that a lovely bike like this

http://www.xs650.com/attachments/1-1n-jpg.174024/http://www.xs650.com/attachments/1-1a-jpg.174020/

got bastardized into an abomination...

http://www.xs650.com/attachments/1-1a-jpg.174039/

Latest posts