Motor Scooter Anarchy?

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Thanks Warbird!  100cc knee dragger; that's the kind of scooter I want to go to the post office, bank and grocery store on.  No parcel basket, but I have a backpack!  Do I have to go to Italy to get one?

dave-j

Just seeing this.  I have two thoughts...

First, I ride road bikes a lot and I HATE, HATE, HATE e-bikes, especially the way most idiots ride them.  They are technically bikes, but the sped differential with most regular riders makes them hazardous when sharing a space with regular riders.

Second, scooters are motor vehicles and should only be ridden where you would drive a car.

I have a Vespa 50S, a great little 50 cc four stroke scooter that I only dive locally, top speed about 40MPH. I love this thing.  I bungied a milk crate to the rack on the back for duffles, groceries, etc.  I use it all the time going to my yacht club where parking is tight.  Also, with a 50cc scooter, get a DOT helmet, not a bike helmet. I also wear light weight leather work gloves, both of which live in the crate on the back when not in use.

Another point is that the Vespa is quite a bit bigger than the Honda mentioned earlier.  I'm 6'4", so would look like a trained bear riding the Honda!

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
if you're going to be gay, might as well do it with style

minimoto-header-2400x1457.jpg

Hello unresorcful generation willing to finance a $3K+ moped

When I was a kid we would grab sub tubing a couple tires and a lawnmower and make a minibike for nearly nothing.

Today gas lawnmowers are set out at curb for free

Build a mini bike or lawnmower/power a bicycle w suspension 

Or just get an old Honda 100, 150, 200 or 250 and get on with it

There Will come a time when you shall wish you had better than moped/scooter suspension/brakes

More Power gives the option to Cross or Duck in traffic situations

With little power you spend all yer time Ducking and often that's Not the best choice

250 - 400cc is a good small bike range that is safer than a scooter

Speaking of scooters... I had a couple of interesting rides today... rode up to the servo with the needle pegged on empty - rode without a helmet as I was just out of the shower... plod pulled in on his police bike whilst I was refueling and politely looked the other way, because I was being a good boy and wearing a mask....  Anyhow, on the way out to get stabbed with Pfizer #2, a dickhead food delivery rider changed lanes into me without looking.  My shoulder banged his mirror... breaking it loose and my handlebars and left hand hit his brake lever.  A mate was behind us and he thought the Food Panda guy was toast... but he recovered it.  I'd done what we train ---- GRIP the hand grips, like fuck.  I didn't even waver, whilst he almost went down.  A mate of mine died like this about 6 months ago (overtaking and a scooter pulled out to overtake too, they tangled handlebars... sending my mate into the front of a parked truck.... killed him).  Part of it all is weight.  My Forza and I weigh about 315kg.  The fuckwit on the food scooter would be less than half that.  Neither of us stopped... but I turned around, pointed to his eyes and told him to fucking use 'em.  And then, coming home - the heavens opened.  I went through multiple flooded road sections... over a foot deep, pushing out a bow wave.  Faaark.

Anyhow... all this talk of toy scooters... 50cc etc.  It's bullshit.  Get something that gets up to speed in a hurry, isn't embarrassed by the other traffic... and most importantly, has good brakes and tyres.  I hated my Forza (it was just a shitbox in my hire fleet)... until I fitted sintered brake pads and Pirelli scooter tyres.  That transformed it.  I love it... and unlike all the Vespas I've seen, it's reliable.

Anyhow... all this talk of toy scooters... 50cc etc.  It's bullshit.  Get something that gets up to speed in a hurry, isn't embarrassed by the other traffic... and most importantly, has good brakes and tyres.  I hated my Forza (it was just a shitbox in my hire fleet)... until I fitted sintered brake pads and Pirelli scooter tyres.  That transformed it.  I love it... and unlike all the Vespas I've seen, it's reliable.
yup, Stupid

Latest posts