Motorcycle Threads

mikewof

mikewof
Owned a 1982 CBX for 15 years - sold it about 4 years ago. Loved it. My brother has restored dozens of CBXs and is a wizard at keeping those 6 carbs tuned. If you are in the market for a CBX I know of several for sale.

Once I managed to push my old CB750 to the edge of its envelope, I wanted to try the CBX, never got the chance, they were rare as hen's teeth when I was finally able to afford one.

I started this vid in the middle, but it's good enough to watch the whole thing. The idea was that the CBX was just too much of a bike for the market at the time. I remember clawing my way up the FDR in NYC one morning on the CB750, kind desolate, and that unmistakable fighter jet sound of the CBX screamed past, like I was standing still. It wasn't loud, it was closer to the sound of a sewing machine than an 11-some second quarter mile bike. Kinda remarkable that you can still source some, some guy in Denver has been looking for CBX components for a bit.

Tin Kicker

Maryland
You have a lot of stickers on panniers. How many miles have you racked up on her?
This is my "new" 2014 Super Tenere and has only 37,000+ after putting closer to 80,000-ish on the 2012. They are among the most reliable bikes ever built and despite the nay-sayers are pretty good off road for a nearly 600 lb machine.
Harrison%20in%20creek%20April%202017_zps3jeszj8q-M.jpg

With the Mini-Mate pop-up camper trailer:
20181007_094948-XL.jpg
20160602_201949_zpsbnm21k2y-M.jpg

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
There's absolutely no reason to change brake pads until they are down low, unless just setting out on a long trip. I run tyres down lower (in tread depth terms) during dry season than I do in the wet. I run hire a bikes fleet - which I ride myself as well - and to me the three critical areas are brake fluid - we replace it with top line fluid (usually Dot 5.1) at least annually - as we live in a humid environment and brake fluid is hygroscopic. We use the best pads we can source locally - in our case, EBC HH Sintered pads.... and we put sticky rubber on the wheels. Oh, and suspension - new oil in the forks and new shock absorbers as soon as they exhibit sloppiness. Re brake fluid - I recently had the brake fluid boil, causing loss of braking on a near new (less than 6,000 miles and under one year old) Honda - I probably posted a video showing that here earlier. I personally hate old tyres - the rubber loses its strength. Anything over 4 years old - ditch 'em.

Edit - when I say we run tyre treads lower.... they are the bikes I ride. I change 'em if I feel they're starting to slide. I ran this one down way past what I would send a customer out on - this was at the end of a two day very twisty mountain ride. No issues.... waaay past the wear marks... but still plenty of edge tread and no sliding issues whatsoever. Rear tyre.

View attachment 543062
That tire may be fine but the center is worn flat which leaves a crown transition to the shoulder of the tire. entering a turn aggresively has the bike squirming a bit until you get on the shoulder of the tire. That squirming happens just when you want maximum confidence in your bike and tires. When I get any crowning I change tires.

That tire may be fine but the center is worn flat which leaves a crown transition to the shoulder of the tire. entering a turn aggresively has the bike squirming a bit until you get on the shoulder of the tire. That squirming happens just when you want maximum confidence in your bike and tires. When I get any crowning I change tires.

You are seeing things I can't see there... and I certainly couldn't feel them. I certainly throw out a lot of crowned tyres.... but there's hardly any crowning on that one. I had a ball on that ride (started it with the tyre down to the wear marks... which were totally gone 700+km later). 700 km of, yes, sometimes
aggressive riding, on this road....

1664331151222.png

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
I may have posted this before but it's worth repeating. A serious oh shit moment.

Not me, don't know the people involved.

You can skip the first 5 minutes, or watch to see how unpleasant that "road" is.

Here is the recovery of the bike.

Well after a six months wait my new Indian Pursuit finally arrived at the dealer. After writing the check and filling out the paperwork I was out of there at 12:30 and managed to get 167 miles on her. The bike had 9 when I-picked her up. I’m naming her Čhō Hota which is Sioux for nice grey.
Time to rack up some miles!
80C7EB35-9042-46F1-A499-90D6D54961B3.jpeg
A580BE0A-C5A9-4B06-8AF8-16DCB8684976.jpeg
DBEB565E-7F17-4E16-A2EF-960057C07283.jpeg

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
Well after a six months wait my new Indian Pursuit finally arrived at the dealer. After writing the check and filling out the paperwork I was out of there at 12:30 and managed to get 167 miles on her. The bike had 9 when I-picked her up. I’m naming her Čhō Hota which is Sioux for nice grey.
Time to rack up some miles!
View attachment 549277 View attachment 549278 View attachment 549279
Congratulations! Good looking ride. Your moto and mine are about as polar opposite as there ever could be.