Movie- Wind question

weagle251

What kind of boats are used in the dinghy race at the beginning when he and his lady are both strapped into trapezes? they flip in the end and lose the race.....but im just trying to see if anyone knows what type of boats those are? 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Yes, Aussie 14s in Perth. I ended up campaigning the boat that made the cameo later in the film in Cali for a couple years. One of the legends of the class had brought it to California to show the I14 guys what the Aussie14s were like. Tough boats to sail but a hellofa lotta fun.

Mike Hunt

Anarchist
Yup - Aussie 14's before the 14 classes merged their rules.

When this movie came out, I had been sailing 14's and was in university.  I remember that the headline in the university paper's movie review was, "Wind really really blows"

Amazing how far ahead this class has always been compared to most...

Oldest International Dinghy class at over 100 years now.

First Trapeze

First Boom Vang

First T-Foil

First Aluminum Mast

First Retractable Bowsprit

Carbon Rigs when hardly anyone else had them.

Probably more I don't know about. Look it up, the boats have always been so fun to sail in addition to the fleet racing.

Pure satisfaction in how much performance one can squeeze from a 14 foot boat. I'll be showcasing the Pre-War boat at SDYC's Opening Day this weekend.

If you're around, come say hi.

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/the-most-photographed-boat/

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Only realistic part of the whole shit show that is Wind.
I was going to say essentially the same thing, but you stated it so well...

I was going going to say "most interesting part of the whole movie..."

The most realistic was the depiction of the Oscar Delta.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Yeah but realism is over rated

I thought it was a great movie... " Set the WOMPER!"

FB- Doug
I thought roll tacking a 12 meter was spot on.   And of course a sea state go from dead calm to pretty big swells in the span of a couple hours.   But they do things different down under.  

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
I thought roll tacking a 12 meter was spot on.   And of course a sea state go from dead calm to pretty big swells in the span of a couple hours.   But they do things different down under.  
Well, the point was entertainment, using sailing as a backdrop... it was mostly bullshit, of course it was. That's baked into the cake, a feature not a bug.

How realistic were all those damn cowboy movies we used to watch?

FB- Doug

Well, the point was entertainment, using sailing as a backdrop... it was mostly bullshit, of course it was. That's baked into the cake, a feature not a bug.

FB- Doug
I really enjoyed it. Like you said,  it IS  a MOVIE after all,  not a documentary. Ever watch a cop show with a cop? They pick 'em apart. Eventually you say, I get it, it's not real. Let's just enjoy the story. 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I really enjoyed it. Like you said,  it IS  a MOVIE after all,  not a documentary. Ever watch a cop show with a cop? They pick 'em apart. Eventually you say, I get it, it's not real. Let's just enjoy the story. 
Opened my eyes to 14ing, which I ended up doing for the last 25 years. So, influential?

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC

FB- Doug
Mindless entertainment.  But some scenes just wanna make you laugh.  

Sisu3360

Anarchist
Knock it all you want - it blew my friggin mind when I was a junior sailor that there was a movie about sailing, and I showed it to the crew I raced with last summer and they loved it.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
For some reason, this just pisses me off.
Agreed.  They could just have used the Dolly Parton spinnaker, which was an actual sail flown by S&S - and would have fit in better with that silly beetle wing narrative than simply hoisting a massively oversized kite.

Dolly Parton.jpg

krikkitman

Agreed.  They could just have used the Dolly Parton spinnaker, which was an actual sail flown by S&S - and would have fit in better with that silly beetle wing narrative than simply hoisting a massively oversized kite.

View attachment 442478
That thing looks more like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man than Dolly Parton. Or perhaps like John Candy in a down-filled Parka?

It kinda reminds me of how my old spinnaker looked just before I replaced it.