MU5735 chinese airlines crash

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
Awful.  I read it was a 737, but not the Maxx model.  Weather seems okay from what little we can see.  Appears something split off behind about halfway down.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Pretty rare for planes to go from 30,000 feet, right into the ground. Will be interesting to learn what happened.
Let's do our own analysis.

1.  Clearly a control surface malfunction, I'm guessing rear stabilizer (or the equivalent on airliners) and some sort of worm gear controller that failed.

Borax Johnson

Anarchist
Let's let the Chinese authorities complete their investigation. That being said, their top causes will be:

Russian Collusion

Donald Trump

Ukraine influence

Undetermined

weightless

Super Anarchist
image.png

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Speculation on PPRUNE is loss of vertical stabilizer or rudder hard-over.  While the angle in the video may be misleading, even a full trim runaway apparently only gives a 45 degree dive, assuming the pilots use full control deflection to resist.  The momentary recovery is a clue.  Yeah, the CVR and FDR might not help with this one.

There was another one like this at Rostov-on-Don a few years back - loss of control during a go-around.

RIP.

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Somewhat similar to the Egyptian pilot that suicided by crashing his airliner. If I remember correctly, the 767 broke Mach in a dive and came apart after a zoom climb as two pilots fought over the controls.

Or Covid.  Or Putin.  

Last edited by a moderator:

gptyk

Anarchist
California
This might be a dumb question but..

Does ground speed mean air speed?

what I mean is this if the plane it traveling vertically is could have a very high air speed but a vary low ground speed, or is this not how it works.
groundspeed != Airspeed. They're different. Think STW and SOG.  Yes, a plane travelling 600kts perfectly straight down will have a groundspeed of 0. A plane travelling 35kts into a 50kt headwind will be going "backwards" 15kts groundspeed. 

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
A guy on airliners.net noted the FR24 x-axis timescale was not linear and recharted the data (also calculated airspeed).  More granular but no less terrifying.  Looks like the pilots did an amazing job in almost recovering before the final plunge.

RIP

Screenshot 2022-03-22 at 20-54-25 China Eastern 737-800 crashes in Guangxi southern China - Pa...png