Multi-State Protection Agreement

MR.CLEAN

Not here
The new 'Federal' philosophy is very obviously 'every state for itself,' and already several states have formed compacts for mutual protection.  It began as agreements between (i think) NJ/NY/CT/PA for coordinated shutdowns, and now that the Trumpies and Jared have abdicated on any federal responsibilities at all, it's time for the educated states to get together and sign a multi-state compact for pandemic preparedness.  I'm not sure what they are waiting for frankly - even 10 states together will have more purchasing power than individual states, and when there's no federal response, states that don't form this kind of compact will definitely be at a disadvantage to states that do.

The compact would form a framework for more states to agree on combined policies and responses to crises in the absence of federal action or leadership.  It would create a union of states to provide for the common welfare.  I'd guess it would start with something like NY/NJ/CT/CA/WA/OR/CO and grow from there. 

You might call it a Compact for the Defense of the United States but I'm not sure of any trademark issues.

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
The new 'Federal' philosophy is very obviously 'every state for itself,' and already several states have formed compacts for mutual protection.  It began as agreements between (i think) NJ/NY/CT/PA for coordinated shutdowns, and now that the Trumpies and Jared have abdicated on any federal responsibilities at all, it's time for the educated states to get together and sign a multi-state compact for pandemic preparedness.  I'm not sure what they are waiting for frankly - even 10 states together will have more purchasing power than individual states, and when there's no federal response, states that don't form this kind of compact will definitely be at a disadvantage to states that do.

The compact would form a framework for more states to agree on combined policies and responses to crises in the absence of federal action or leadership.  It would create a union of states to provide for the common welfare.  I'd guess it would start with something like NY/NJ/CT/CA/WA/OR/CO and grow from there. 

You might call it a Compact for the Defense of the United States but I'm not sure of any trademark issues.
How did they abdicate a responsibility that they never had?

MR.CLEAN

Not here
How did they abdicate a responsibility that they never had?
Great, so no objection to such a multi-state compact for the defense of those specifically united states?

You're cool with a coalition of wealthier states outbidding all the poorer states for medical equipment in the next pandemic, leaving the poorer states to fend for themselves, correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Great, so no objection to such a multi-state compact for the defense of those specifically united states?

You're cool with a coalition of wealthier states outbidding all the poorer states for medical equipment in the next pandemic, leaving the poorer states to fend for themselves, correct?
I think they see that as the preferred option.

Willin'

Super Anarchist
The Burg, Maine
Imagine what the power of a 50 state mutual aid compact might be. I'm surprised no one has thought of that in the last, ohhhh, 244 years or so.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
Imagine what the power of a 50 state mutual aid compact might be. I'm surprised no one has thought of that in the last, ohhhh, 244 years or so.
You'd better leave out the southern states, and flyover country. They will just complain and sabotage.

A guy in the Chesapeake

Super Anarchist
Virginia

That a collection of states has to even consider an approach like this is indicative of failure on the federal level.  FEMA should be out in front of this, leveraging the national volume purchasing power, emergency budgets, and established logistics paths to streamline acquisition and delivery of vital equipment/supplies to where it is critically needed. 

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth

Free markets, free people!  

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Will someone please stand by the trolls like SoreAss (and Jared "The Oleagenous Oyster "Kushner) while they slowly read out the words: "The. United. States. of. America."  and General. Welfare". 

And then ask them to define those words to mean what the House of Orange wants them to mean.  

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Will someone please stand by the trolls like SoreAss (and Jared "The Oleagenous Oyster "Kushner) while they slowly read out the words: "The. United. States. of. America."  and General. Welfare". 

And then ask them to define those words to mean what the House of Orange wants them to mean.  
That would be "States that voted for Trump in 2016 and/or states with governors from the American party." 

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
That a collection of states has to even consider an approach like this is indicative of failure on the federal level.  FEMA should be out in front of this, leveraging the national volume purchasing power, emergency budgets, and established logistics paths to streamline acquisition and delivery of vital equipment/supplies to where it is critically needed. 
Well consider it a promise Trump made that he kept - reducing the size of government. #winning.

jerseyguy

Super Anarchist
you mean like NY/NJ/CT/CA/WA ?

I would think the poorer states are the ones who need a coalition in order to fight against the northerners

wait a minute - didn't they try that already?
One might argue that after the War of Northern Aggression the poorer states had an opportunity to mend their ways.  But they chose to stick to their traditions (cue Tevye and Traditions from Fiddler on the Roof) and way of life.  Despite the loss of union and industrial jobs, the blue states are still carrying the red states.  As we used to say back in the old neighborhood, screw ‘em.

*And me a retired Catholic with this being Holy Week.  The nuns would be ashamed of me.