Multihull with foot steering.

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
From the 1st thread OP started in SA (emphasis mine):
I own a 17' Windrider and love the configuration of the cockpit and the fact that all the ropes are right there and I can steer with my feet. My wife and I go for daysails and we generally take it easy, have a sandwich and drinks and cruise along. I like to be in control of things and that cockpit gives me that without having to rely on her to do anything but sit there, look pretty and hand me a sandwich, munchies or drink. Yes, I do command her to get on the tramps when we've got a good breeze so we can get moving but most of the time we're just having fun critiquing the houses along the shore. Is there another boat that has a cockpit where you can steer with your feet and the ropes are close-by so it's easy to single-hand but that's a little larger...20-24'? Has anyone tried modifying another make of Trimaran to have the Windrider-like cockpit? Thanks!

TBW

I converted the foot pedal steering to push pull tiller on my Windrider. Annoying to dock, reef, sail on/off beach with foot pedals.

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
I converted the foot pedal steering to push pull tiller on my Windrider. Annoying to dock, reef, sail on/off beach with foot pedals.
I like to be able to move around to help balance the boat and it is really a pain in the arse when one of the steering cables break or the rudder pops up and you can't get back there to fix it. Pedal steering also has very little feel/feedback. I can see where it would be useful for someone with limited mobility (e.g., handicapped person).

Reactions: TBW

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I think this young lass is doing her best to steer this old Wharram with her feet...

1658870397488.png

I do worry about the tail on that safety bowline being too short though...

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
the problem i envision with converting a 20'-24' try to foot steering is: where do you put the helm position? If you situate it the same as the small boats, you won't be able to see over the cabin. Do you put it up higher to increase vision? Fugly. Buy an auto-pilot and sit where you want with both hands free.

TBW

I like to be able to move around to help balance the boat and it is really a pain in the arse when one of the steering cables break or the rudder pops up and you can't get back there to fix it. Pedal steering also has very little feel/feedback. I can see where it would be useful for someone with limited mobility (e.g., handicapped person).

What does a panic fuckup look like with foot steering?
My Windrider rounds up when things get squirlly. Its a super well behaved boat. My 8 year old was sailing it a few days ago in 35 kmh wind (19 knots) at about 8 knots of boat speed, no reefs, main sheet cleated. I have never sailed a more chilled boat.

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
The Vortex Podracer looks awesome to me. However, I will never own one for two reasons:
1. over $40k is way out of my price range for a daysailing toy.
2. I am terrified of capsizing in that thing.

Other concerns: I assume I could work it out, but, how does one leave or land at a dock while single handing? Beach launching singlehanded looks to be difficult, too. Does one always have to have a land crew to sail it?

I know I lack imagination, however to me, the actual sailing looks to be great, but all the other details to get one out and/or back from sailing seem unreasonable.