Mumby 48

toolbar

Kiel, Germany
Had anyone here sailed one of those?

At a claimed cruising weigh of slightly above 8 tons, relatively slender hulls, and with daggerboard they seem to be capable of equal or better performance than eg Catanas or others in the semi-performance range. 

The aluminium construction is certainly rather unique for a series built catamaran. I was just about to accept a balsa core sandwich as a compromise for my next boat, but aluminum? :) 

Paul 

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Good looking boat, especially for aluminum.

mumby-48-10.jpg

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
I've seen discussion of this on the other forum, CF, in years past, there is small "Google Custom Search" box in the middle of the drop down when you click the search button.  It can be an exceptionally helpful feature, (Take note forum admins).  Best search function ever, in my limited tech experience/capacity. 

The boat is from down under and there are a lot of those guys on the Farrier group, they seem helpful.  If you can decipher the logo on Rasp's pic, maybe that is a lead.  Especially if its a charter and you can go try it out.

Factor

Australia
Parked next to that one (Logic) right at the moment.  I have sailed a few of these and seen quite a few in build.  Great boats. 

IMG_1922.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

toolbar

Kiel, Germany
I guess they are all in Asia or Australia? Would love to see one in the flesh, without a 30+ hour flight from Europe... 

Paul 

toolbar

Kiel, Germany
Congratulations. 

I bought something different in the meantime, so my interest in Mumbys is only academic at this time...

However pictures of pretty boats are always appreciated. :)

Paul

Toolbar: Thank you. I totally missed this. I'll chuck a few photos below. :)

Soma: Unfortunately, I believe the Philippines yard has been shut down and not sure if it'll be back. Tim is still selling the plans, for anyone that would like to build one elsewhere. You could float out of the yard for a bit less than Jamie says in the vid above but I'll be a pretty basic build. Most will end up spending a good chunk more after launch to really bring them up to spec and finish them a bit better.....but that's no different to most boats. And still a cracking good deal. And the resale value is crazy high.

EarthBM: The central helm was only seen on the very early 48s like Mozart (currently for sale). Most of them, like Jupiter 2 and mine have a stbd side saloon bulk head mounted helm. In my opinion it's pretty good. You can sit in the seat and have full shelter from the sun and the elements, or stand on the step there and have sight lines to all four corners of the boat, which makes manoeuvring in tight confines really easy.

My example would have been seen in Jamie's video above nearing the end of the build when his was starting. It's had a bit of a rough life and is a work in progress. Definitely not a pretty as Jupiter 2, which I think is one of the nicest looking examples. That said, she's been an awesome boat. Fast, safe, very comfortable. It typically cruises up around 10 knots, with my top so far being 17.

org_b88a1ed0ae580cf1_1602904262000_DxO.jpg org_adba3cb25873d6c2_1602903678000_DxO.jpg org_63a031da00dd624e_1602901588000_DxO.jpg IMG_2552_DxO.jpg 101068657_10158705802529459_3626684356271013888_o.jpg 93373888_616957479035975_7599147570523851353_n.jpg 12.11.20 (3)_DxO.jpg 12.11.20 (1)_DxO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaGul

Super Anarchist
Oslo Norway
The vid about building; really facinated to see advanced boats like this is buildt on a shore and in a shed with basic tools (if you call mig-welding basic....) - for use here in the cold I think they get some things to solve - cold bridges etc. but good in the ice. 

They seem be pretty good in that respect with a few exceptions. I know of two of them that had some cracking around the prodder bobstay tangs, but not others. I found out that my boat in its earlier days had a crack around of the the little skegs/braces for the prop shaft in one hull. I haven't heard any issues with any of them other than that. As it turns out, the previous owner of my boat "found" a few reefs with the bottom of this boat.....and aside from a few sections that aren't quite perfectly straight, it's fine. It really is a testament to the strength and durability of the design.

boardhead

Anarchist
Sort of surprising that the French, with all their success with alloy monohulls and love of multihulls did not take this route.

Eric Taberly's Pen Duick 3, 4 and 5 were alloy and each ground breaking.

What is the plating thickness and alloy grade jmurph and love the name Twocan with her bare alloy topsides.