Musical Sailboats

A

Amati

This thread is starting to come around.

Could you post a photo of Amati's tiller?  I was telling someone about it and couldn't find a photo.

821261BB-3F3E-4907-A426-42B6A08E3A39.jpeg

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Uh, those are called ears, and a striking mechanism…. :lol:

Fourier analysis is one of those intuitive thangs, like surfing….  Intense fun……. Think about how just the shape of a hammer hitting a string influences the sound.  Although the ratio of the uppers to the lowers could be a weird twist- luckily, Amati  is a wood boat- I’ll have to put my ear to the boat while my beautiful assistant strikes the rod rigging shrouds with a Renner Blue #1 hammer on a Bosendorfer shank and hear what there is to hear.  Never thought of that before.  But she is named Amati…..  how could I be so dense?

Egads
There is a long line of Amati violinmakers. Which one :)

I can usually tell you within 5 hz what the bhd plate's fundamental is when I strike it with something. Then I look at the FFT, "42 Hz--just as I thought."

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I was a piano tuner for about 3 hours before I hired a professional.  I’ll stick to tuning my six string by ear…
It’s a strange way to make a living.  It took me years to wrap my head around why anyone would actually pay money for the effort…
Because great music is worth the effort, and great music cannot be played on an out-of-tune instrument.

FB- Doug

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
It’s a strange way to make a living.  It took me years to wrap my head around why anyone would actually pay money for the effort…
Play a Henry Miller Upright that moved from the inner city to the waterfront after 40 years and it becomes apparent why the skill set is important and profitable.

A

Amati

There is a long line of Amati violinmakers. Which one :)

I can usually tell you within 5 hz what the bhd plate's fundamental is when I strike it with something. Then I look at the FFT, "42 Hz--just as I thought."
Excellent!  Amati the Elder.

A

Amati

If you have a strong local sailing culture, like the SF Bay then there should still be some good hidden gems available for those who are willing to look. There were at least two Santa Cruz 27s on Craigslist yesterday - perfect boats to double hand in the Bay.

When reality finally drags me kicking and screaming from this utterly insane place, J/Boats and Beneteau will be at the top of my list simply because they are built and sold in volume. A Pogo or JPK would be fun. Much more realistic would be a J/99, SF3300 or even a Seascape First 27SE.

My working assumption is that it will take time for COVID to be brought under control globally. More pandemics will emerge as well. So I'm using the time I have to get better at heavy wind sailing in semi-protected areas like SF. Maybe my next boat is a J/120 that I sail out into the middle of the ocean and then back home? Maybe a J/120 and a Laser? The future is unknown.
Once you have 2, they multiply like rabbits….

A

Amati

Boats, or out-of-tune instruments??

- DSK
Depends on where you score boats and instruments on the entropy scale?  (Sailors and tuners kind of fight entropy as a matter of course- musicians who don’t tune their own instruments tend to nudge entropy along?)

Although now the Quantum Quants are thinking it’s all about entanglement, which is a strange metaphor.  In that case, some boats and instruments are in different universes altogether? Plastic boats and plastic instruments aren’t as affected?  Wood boats and wood instruments though are a different matter.  Fecundity vs tuning stability…..  boats are entangling with all sort of things $simultaneously, instruments not so much?  I’m befuddled now… B)

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Depends on where you score boats and instruments on the entropy scale?  (Sailors and tuners kind of fight entropy as a matter of course- musicians who don’t tune their own instruments tend to nudge entropy along?)

Although now the Quantum Quants are thinking it’s all about entanglement, which is a strange metaphor.  In that case, some boats and instruments are in different universes altogether? Plastic boats and plastic instruments aren’t as affected?  Wood boats and wood instruments though are a different matter.  Fecundity vs tuning stability…..  boats are entangling with all sort of things $simultaneously, instruments not so much?  I’m befuddled now… B)
I think that if you score on a log scale, it might become more clear. OTOH it may also be more of a paradox. After all, you don't know if an instrument is out of tune until you play a note. An unplayed instrument cannot be out of tune. Similarly, a sailboat is self-entangling but only if you pull one of the strings, and unsailed boat cannot be entangled ... although it can certainly become an unholy mass of entropy.

Surely there is an equation for this

- DSK

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Which is more out of tune? An unplayed viola, or an unplayed banjo? I think you have to cite Schroedinger for the correct answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Amati

Which is more out of tune? An unplayed viola, or an unplayed banjo? I think you have to cite Schroedinger for the correct answer.
Keep cats out of this, please..

ok, you’re driving down the road, and you see a conductor and a violist, which do you run over first?  

Last edited: