My dream boat is now a reality - Do you agree

I took delivery of my new boat late in the summer. It is a JPK 39 FC. I live in the US but the French shipyards have a lock on this type of boat.
I wanted:
1). Strong performance. Not just speed but also a well thought out deck plan. I am done with wonky rigging solutions on large catamarans or all encompassing cockpit enclosures on mono hulls. I wanted a boat that lets me trim. My lack of ability will be the only hurdle not the boats design. I chartered a mono with the main sheet attached mid boom. Horror show to weather. I also wanted the boat to have that feel that I was almost racing.
2). Folding or lifting keel was a must. When I get stateside it is no fun dealing with 6+ foot draft. Most of the French boats fold between 1.3 meters up to 2.7 meters down.
3). I wanted a proper nav station where I could look forward. When sailing solo I want to be able to do long watches in the cabin. By the way the use case is for some harbor hoping with two aboard and some multi day legs with just me. Eventually going for longer.
4). I wanted a basic interior but not one that was a Clorox bottle.

I dropped the x yachts early because of the fixed keel and a bit heavy. J boats also have fixed keel and I wanted a little more beam for stiffness (ie more beam within reason)
Pogo. 12.5 was too spartan an interior. Pogo 36 was sold out. No room on waitlist. Pogo 44 too big for me to solo. Too much beam for my taste. Super ship yard! pogo has a folding keel and view forward.
RM 1180. Way comfortable. A bit too big. They had some temporary problems that caused a pause on orders. They are a bit heavier. I like the concept of the wood for better insulation.
Bente 38. They made one. They stopped production. Very cool ideas but quality on hull one was not there yet.
JPK 39 FC. I bought this one.
Eager to hear your views and learn from this gang.
my most recent video (I am not trying to monetize. Just learn and share. )

Last edited:

eliboat

Super Anarchist
That’s the boat I would get if was looking. Great boat, and over the past few years has shredded the international offshore scene. Much respect.

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Any folding keels on Lake Ontario
Sure there are a few of different ilks. I am not in the Toronto scene so I am not sure how many JPK's and other high performance French boats there are. My boat only draws 6' 6" and lots of harbours are inaccessible to me so it would be an asset if you wanted to travel.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Ten posts in and no one has made the usual new member request!
Hear him! Cyclops should at least make a leg.

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 5.19.58 PM.png

accnick

Super Anarchist
What part is not your style. Eager to hear your view.
Look, if the boat works for you, that's all that matters.

I look for something that is both functional and pleases my eye. The boxy profile and reverse sheerline are not my style esthetically, but it isn't my boat. The boat looks to be functionally practical for its intended purpose.

It's a good thing that we all aren't looking for the same things in a boat.

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Look, if the boat works for you, that's all that matters.

I look for something that is both functional and pleases my eye. The boxy profile and reverse sheerline are not my style esthetically, but it isn't my boat. The boat looks to be functionally practical for its intended purpose.

It's a good thing that we all aren't looking for the same things in a boat.
Not to be critical of your response, but for what it is worth I don't think they were being sensitive just curious. Cyclops has obviously spent lots of time and effort to find their perfect boat among the myriad elements that exist in our perfect boat.

I, on the other hand, have a perfect boat in mind before I buy it and the goalposts seem to move the longer I own it....sigh.

Spokey Doke

Idaho, USA
Congrats!

Super jealous, particularly since I've been scoping out that segment of boats for some time now and they are really attractive to me...

But, for me, looking for something a bit smaller, am really attracted to the Django 9.8 and Mojito 8.88, along with that Pogo 30. RM's seem a bit porky but I certainly wouldn't mind one...

The one thing that I'm uncertain about in going in this direction is canvas...no room for a bimini, and dodgers often look fairly minimal. I'm all for spending time in the elements, and hate all the modern cats that are all roof so you can't even see your sails, but a bit of protection can be nice...just curious how you are thinking about that in the boat choice calculus