My even newer project for The Man In The Moon

DDW

Super Anarchist
What is the diameter of your mizzen? I'm guessing at 4" dia. That would look right. Have to see what is available in NZ as a stock tube.
My mizzen is about 7" dia at the partners, tapering to about 3" at the truck (wall thickness tapers too). Tube is about 38' long. It was intended to support a 260 sq ft mizzen and a 290 sq ft staysail.

It is quite a useful sail.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
DDW:

that 's a bigger mizzen than I have by about 100%. I have about 10' less stick length than you have.

I may be moving my mizzen aft to make it easier for a tiller. We'll see.

Thanks so much for the data. I know your boat so I can relate to what you are saying. It's useful.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Can you say Fort ************ on CA?

Apparently, no. What happened in that city north of Naples?
It's what happened from a person with the same name who sued SA for being mean to him and won. Now if you type in sreyM naD it ends up as asterix. **********.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasal

Super Anarchist
Denver
Can you say Fort ************ on CA?

Apparently, no. What happened in that city north of Naples?
It's what happened from a person with the same name who sued SA for being mean to him and won. Now if you type in sreyM naD it ends up as asterix. **********.
I see. Thanks! That's hilariously dumb. But I won't even think about phirt my hers to be safe.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
DDW:

that 's a bigger mizzen than I have by about 100%. I have about 10' less stick length than you have.

I may be moving my mizzen aft to make it easier for a tiller. We'll see.

Thanks so much for the data. I know your boat so I can relate to what you are saying. It's useful.
Have you ever designed a tiller with an offset arm to get around an obstruction?

42 South

Anarchist
Here is a newer drawing:

If you look at both the profile and the section I think it will make sense. It will come down to evaluating the impact of the well on the layout forward. Not sure where we will end up yet.

Bob - looks pretty much like a range of boats that have been built down here in Tassie for the past 25 years..... it's a Kauffman design. There would be about 20+ built.

Huon 33.JPG

Huon 36.jpg

Ishmael

Fuctifino
Here is a newer drawing:

If you look at both the profile and the section I think it will make sense. It will come down to evaluating the impact of the well on the layout forward. Not sure where we will end up yet.

Bob - looks pretty much like a range of boats that have been built down here in Tassie for the past 25 years..... it's a Kauffman design. There would be about 20+ built.

Huon 33.JPG

Huon 36.jpg
I don't mind the blue one. The white one looks startled.

Mr. Ed

Super Anarchist
From a few years' practical experience with a big mizzen, our breakthrough was rigging guys on either side of the boom so we could pull it back up to the centerline to go to windward and to help with steering. It's become a critical tool, and has a very pronounced effect on the helm. "Give me a hoik" has become a standard phrase. Going very deep in a breeze it makes steering a bear and we sometimes drop it altogether

Omer

Anarchist
That line on profile drawing connecting the sprit to the bow knuckle (ı do not know what it is called) distracts my vision so terribly that i keep seeing a motor boat with a very ugly bow profile.

zedboy

Eastern Med
In any breeze I suspect the mizzen will come down and the boat will sail on main and headsails. But I see no reason you couldn't wank along under headsail and mizzen.
Interesting. Maybe that's the definition: my ketch would not go to weather without the mizzen. But I could make (slow) progress in a blow without the main.

Could be an easy way to cut out weather helm. Mizzens are also good for steering - lock the tiller in the middle (I had a clutch) and helm with the mizzen sheet.

Main benefit to sailing a ketch: everyone in the marina likes you because they look awesome. Wait a minute, what did Bob say about schooners?

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
I love the rig. Excellent for a cruising boat. And engine centred makes for nice weight distribution.

However, I'm afraid there's not much else I like about the boat, apart from the hull shape: modest beam and a keel long enough to dry out on. The mastpit scares me, the foredeck looks too small, the pilothouse too big, the galley too small, and the interior very broken up.

But it's not my boat ... and the whole point of a custom design is that it meets someone else's needs, not mine.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Taking a look at mizz placement and rudder to make some room for a tiller without eating up too much cockpit.

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
Here's my Stupid Question for the day (I'm actually allotted more than one, but I try not to use them all...)

What is the purpose of a bowsprit?

I mean, yeah, I get what it does... but if you want to have a rig that has the headsail tack that far forward, why not... build the boat out to there?

Is it a style issue?

Is it a strength issue? (eg, solid structure at the stem for an inner forestay)?

Is it to allow more rig for a given waterline? Or more flexible sailing options?

Is it a materials/cost/build decision?

In the absence of a rating rule or other constraint, I'm having a hard time understanding the "why" of it. If the bow profile was extended to that point, you'd gain waterline, presumably gain bouyancy, undoubtedly improve tracking, probably gain some layout and/or stowage options, etc, all without requiring a larger slip.

I've had that question rolling around in the empty space within my skull for months with the carbon-cutter thread, and can't figure out how (other than personal preference and styling) a 42-foot cutter with a 4-foot sprit is "better" than a 46-foot cutter....

<O_O>

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Sled:

It's a LOA issue. Or maybe in this case an LOD issue. People usually buy boats buy LOA/LOD. In this case we needed a bowsprit to balance the rig and give us extra sail area in the fore triangle. Itys also an aesthetic element. With a mizzen way aft you are better off with a bowsprit to get the center of pressure forward to balance the boat. In our case the sprit will be retractable so the owner can save on slip fees. If I eliminated the bowsprit and just built the boat out to there we would have had a 50' LOA boat. Client wanted a smaller boat.

Latest posts