My hospital is so fucked right now (RN)

Clove Hitch

Super Anarchist
around and about
All the sick and dieing I've seen are unvaxxed.  I know there are sick vaxxed people out there, I just haven't seen them. Not many nurses have.

Taking care of a few critically sick COVID the other day boss comes to me and says "ED is boarding [LOTS] and more coming.  We gonna divide your [ x ] and you go to med-surge floor and take 6."   It was so bad high level hospital admins were transporting patients from ED to floors.  Elevator in the basement opened and the Big Big Boss and the Big Boss were rolling out a dead COVID.   Nurses that have been through the first wave with PTSD or just sick of the shit calling in.  ED should have had 10 nurses. Had 4 that day.  

So today would be better, right?  We have more and more COVID and I'm taking care of a very sick person in for other stuff that causes respiratory distress and who is vaccinated. COVID-  Condition worsens and needs a machine called a BIPAP.  This machine is basically the last step before intubation.   Doctor in the room and respiratory therapist shows up to say the hospital is out of BIPAPS.   That's right, the unvaxxed are fixing to kill the vaxxed who have the bad luck to need oxygen stuff right now. 

I thought Jan '20 to Dec '21 were the Dark Days. But even then we were never out of BIPAP.  Vents yes.   

There are going to be people dieing in the hallways of my hospital on regular non-rebreathers within 10 days, if not 7.  

Ease the sheet.

ease the sheet
You need to change countries.

I hear that the wonderful state of Victoria in Australia would be glad to have your skills and knowledge in one of their hospitals.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willin'

Super Anarchist
The Burg, Maine
Respect, sympathy, support and hope to you. I got nothing substantial that works against stupidity, but you, sir, have whatever I can muster!

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
  I can confirm that many healthcare workers are burnt out. Nurses from specialties who went to help in the wards during the first two waves are fatigued and just do not want to go through it again.  Doctors on staff who contributed despite not being bhospitalists are finding it harder to take the risks they did before.

I honor the work you guys do. I hope more can rally round and help.

Clove Hitch

Super Anarchist
around and about
  I can confirm that many healthcare workers are burnt out. Nurses from specialties who went to help in the wards during the first two waves are fatigued and just do not want to go through it again.  Doctors on staff who contributed despite not being bhospitalists are finding it harder to take the risks they did before.

I honor the work you guys do. I hope more can rally round and help.
Sadly nurses are just done. Not worth it for $23 to $30 an hour. I think civic duty sustained us during the 1st wave but now..... our staffing is horrific. Nobody wants to risk license for someone who has made the choice to be unvaxxed and some OT.  Hospitals offering 300 to 1000 just to show up for a shift on top of OT  and nurses saying no thanks. I've already leveraged my year of covid critical care for a better job. 

Clove Hitch

Super Anarchist
around and about
I painted a scene from my floor in Dec of '20 that shook me up.  Things are going to be worse than this in a week. Sorry if the painting is sideways.  I'm not tech savy enough to turn it right side up. I tried. 

1745161351_dec2020(1).jpg

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Pity you can't  take a few of the louder unvaxxed on a tour. I'm betting if you gave them a choice of being vaxxed after the tour most would take it.

The ones that turn it down, well they are too dumb to live,  they shouldn't even get the choice to go into hospital and place Healthcare workers under more pressure and strain not forgetting the potential for exposure because of ignorance.

In fact perhaps they need to be given a piece of paper when they refuse to vaccinate acknowledging they have literally signed their lives away. 

Good luck and my thoughts and respect to all of those on the Frontline, its a tragedy that its due to gross stupidity.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
As the husband of a RN forced out (spinal fusion) of the profession, I have particular empathy for our medical front line staff. And that was before Covid. 

Respect.

If Clove's post doesn't make one turn introspective and wonder how you could do more, you're simply not human. 

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
No one reasonable would blame front line health care workers if they walked away.

Thankfully you don't.

You are national heroes and should be officially recognized as such. 

Triage should soon sort the vaccinated from the non vaccinated.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
All the sick and dieing I've seen are unvaxxed.  I know there are sick vaxxed people out there, I just haven't seen them. Not many nurses have.

Taking care of a few critically sick COVID the other day boss comes to me and says "ED is boarding [LOTS] and more coming.  We gonna divide your [ x ] and you go to med-surge floor and take 6."   It was so bad high level hospital admins were transporting patients from ED to floors.  Elevator in the basement opened and the Big Big Boss and the Big Boss were rolling out a dead COVID.   Nurses that have been through the first wave with PTSD or just sick of the shit calling in.  ED should have had 10 nurses. Had 4 that day.  

So today would be better, right?  We have more and more COVID and I'm taking care of a very sick person in for other stuff that causes respiratory distress and who is vaccinated. COVID-  Condition worsens and needs a machine called a BIPAP.  This machine is basically the last step before intubation.   Doctor in the room and respiratory therapist shows up to say the hospital is out of BIPAPS.   That's right, the unvaxxed are fixing to kill the vaxxed who have the bad luck to need oxygen stuff right now. 

I thought Jan '20 to Dec '21 were the Dark Days. But even then we were never out of BIPAP.  Vents yes.   

There are going to be people dieing in the hallways of my hospital on regular non-rebreathers within 10 days, if not 7.  
You have my full sympathy and support. It's a war.

After years of study and work, practice, difficult training, you get thrown into a meat grinder! But a soldier also knows that nothing lasts forever.... keep your head down and get through it! You're one of the heroes.

- DSK

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
It's bad in the Houston area, what the selfish self entitled pricks don't realize is once the system is overloaded anyone needing emergency care is fucked. Yesterday was announced that the EMS crews were waiting up to several hours to discharge at the ERs.  And the county just north (voted for Trump 71%) is now asking for millions in federal funds for staffing because the hospitals are full and the staff are overwhelmed.

A year and half into this, 6 months after vaccines became widely available and it's FUBAR.  Clove Hitch you have my deepest sympathies and wishing you all the best to get thru this.

Grog

Simple Anarchist
Germany
Damn. Take care and be safe. Thanks for all that you do, and that you have done already.
This.

And do try to keep your professional distance. Try to not get consumed by cases that should have been unnecessary.

All the best, take care!

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
It's bad in the Houston area, what the selfish self entitled pricks don't realize is once the system is overloaded anyone needing emergency care is fucked. Yesterday was announced that the EMS crews were waiting up to several hours to discharge at the ERs.  And the county just north (voted for Trump 71%) is now asking for millions in federal funds for staffing because the hospitals are full and the staff are overwhelmed.

A year and half into this, 6 months after vaccines became widely available and it's FUBAR.  Clove Hitch you have my deepest sympathies and wishing you all the best to get thru this.
There needs to be a start on triage. Un-vaccinated get dropped down the priority list when resources get scarce, no tech intervention.

It was their right to refuse vaccination, and it's their right to take the consequences when resources are insufficient.

Probably illegal to do that though and given the utter stupidity of some of your State leadership it wouldn't surprise me if they actually reversed that and insisted that the un-vaccinated got priority, seeing as they need it more right now.

At which point - walk away.

FKT

Ncik

Super Anarchist

But it's just the sniffles.

Sorry you're having to deal with this. Please remember that this is rated as a pandemic for a reason. The vaccination being available AT ALL is a miracle. The idiots that make it harder are still people, but you're allowed to speak firmly and directly to them and their family about vaccination.

Good luck.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
Trained medical staff are a finite commodity and they're human. Imagine going to work where a large percentage of your customers evident lack of regard for your health let alone theirs can kill you. Every. Single. Day. 

The scariest thing is not only are they finite, the level of training needed for front line nurses is not easy and nor is it trivial, they are highly skilled workers.

How will the battle against the pandemic fair when the experienced nurses burn out and are replaced with newbies? I've seen newly qualified nurses struggle on the floor even in quiet periods, let alone a busy Friday night. Add to that a full blown pandemic??

Maybe we'll end up with a bunch of semi-skilled workers that have completed a shortened training course specifically for Covid that doesn't have any of an RN's other credentials just so there are enough eyes on all the monitors and alarms. The compassion and empathy that typify nurses now will become 'not my job' from a bunch of paid labour hire min wage earners crammed through a basic course on how/when to push the panic button.

Or we could respect our front line health professionals and wear a mask.  

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
There needs to be a start on triage. Un-vaccinated get dropped down the priority list when resources get scarce, no tech intervention.

It was their right to refuse vaccination, and it's their right to take the consequences when resources are insufficient.

Probably illegal to do that though and given the utter stupidity of some of your State leadership it wouldn't surprise me if they actually reversed that and insisted that the un-vaccinated got priority, seeing as they need it more right now.

At which point - walk away.

FKT
You know that is not going to happen right?   Its not just the legality of the thing, it is a slippery path to go down. Might as well give up the job the day one changes course from the first principle.