My State Government Sucks

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois
I'm pissed and just need to vent. I live in the People's Republic of Illinois where the government is supposed to help us. Blue state all the way. My 87-yr old mom is totally stressed by all the BS and confusion about getting her vaccinations so I get to spend a couple of hours online each day trying to find her a shot. Her friends are getting the shots so she is going crazy listening to all of them planning to get out and finally socialize. Every day our government officials come on TV telling us about how things are going well but all I hear is that call from mom each night asking if I found her an appointment.  

Based on the metrics Illinois is 47th out of 50 states for vaccinating people so clearly my experience is not unique. I just want to line up all of those state politicians starting with the governor, mayor and the health puppets and have them explain why old people are not getting the health care they need. 

Don't make this into a Biden/Trump thing. This is really about the incompetence of local government leaders.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
I'm pissed and just need to vent. I live in the People's Republic of Illinois where the government is supposed to help us. Blue state all the way. My 87-yr old mom is totally stressed by all the BS and confusion about getting her vaccinations so I get to spend a couple of hours online each day trying to find her a shot. Her friends are getting the shots so she is going crazy listening to all of them planning to get out and finally socialize. Every day our government officials come on TV telling us about how things are going well but all I hear is that call from mom each night asking if I found her an appointment.  

Based on the metrics Illinois is 47th out of 50 states for vaccinating people so clearly my experience is not unique. I just want to line up all of those state politicians starting with the governor, mayor and the health puppets and have them explain why old people are not getting the health care they need. 

Don't make this into a Biden/Trump thing. This is really about the incompetence of local government leaders.

My parents are in IL, North suburbs.  Mom got one by using the "code" one of her friends got after she went to the DR for a cold.  The friend got an email with said "code" that let her go to a site and get an appointment for the shot.  Mom used code to get appointments for them, then passed code to another friend.  Code did not work for other friend.  This is so messed up.  The shitweasel really did  not do a damn thing...  Biden is getting 1 mm out while only being in charge for like 2 weeks.  This is dumb.  Hang in there, keep looking.  Wifie found a clinic wayyyyy across town to get her MIL one.  Depressed area, but the clinic had a bunch as the locals were not getting them.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Loose Cannon

Super Anarchist
Planet Earth
I'm pissed and just need to vent. I

I hear ya.  My mother in law died of covid last Tuesday after she was scheduled to get her first shot (in a memory care facility in NC) the prior friday.  

There is hope. Can't tell you the company but there was a major release last week of a scalable vaccine distribution platform that was trialled and proven in Singapore, RI and a number of other countries that will make all the pieces fit together.

Stay safe and hang in there.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I really do not understand this vaccine scramble. Surely there is a way to triage people and then send out invitations by snail mail for a vac appointment rather than ask the vulnerable (and often NOT internet connected or capable) to find their own way and scramble for a spot. The states must have access to records or a combination of records with simple age data to identify the over 65's.

Electoral enrolments, driver registration, even gun registration (in some states) all hold the age of the person.

I mean, when are we not asked to state our date of birth and address on anything we sign? It really is a pretty simple task to extrapolate that data.

If I can identify the date on which we catalogued a book on a library database  and thus identify all books in a library over 4 years old and their location, surely you can identify everyone over 65.

Similarly, hospitals do keep records of people with vulnerabilities, let them identify the vulnerable, call or send a letter inviting them and do those vaccinations.

It's not string theory.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
I really do not understand this vaccine scramble. Surely there is a way to triage people and then send out invitations by snail mail for a vac appointment rather than ask the vulnerable (and often NOT internet connected or capable) to find their own way and scramble for a spot. The states must have access to records or a combination of records with simple age data to identify the over 65's.

Electoral enrolments, driver registration, even gun registration (in some states) all hold the age of the person.

I mean, when are we not asked to state our date of birth and address on anything we sign? It really is a pretty simple task to extrapolate that data.
This will all happen eventually.  The Shitstain just did nothing.  Biden already has the big pharmacy companies on board and is actually leading by example.  Masks on etc.  That this shit should have happened a year ago is the point...  It's all on the orange Shitstain. 

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Cristoforo said:
  Finally a younger family member drove to a location and verbally asked the location manager ( Northwell Health) what what hell was going on?  He had no answer.   We offered him an immediate  'cash honorarium donation incentive gift' to get an appointment.  He said he would, but he couldn't even get an appointment for his own mother so he wouldn't feel right accepting the donation and then not delivering.     
WTF? It's reassuring that some folks are immune to bribery. 

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
RR, where are you located? I'm in Champaign/Urbana and we have no such problems. Everyone 75+ who wanted the vaccine got their first shot three weeks ago. As 65+ and with co-morbidity I got it two weeks ago, last week as 65+, and this week is teachers and other frontline workers, a large category that will go on for two more weeks. See here

https://www.c-uphd.org/covid-vaccinations.html

From my perspective Illinois has performed very well.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide

And I see that the your state has administered  just 40 percent of its allotment compared to the Bureau of prisons which has achieved 98%

i suggest you send your mom to prison for a quick jab 

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois
And I see that the your state has administered  just 40 percent of its allotment compared to the Bureau of prisons which has achieved 98%

i suggest you send your mom to prison for a quick jab 
I hear West Virginia is leading the nation in vaccinating its people. Time to hitch up the truck and move there. 

If I can identify the date on which we catalogued a book on a library database  and thus identify all books in a library over 4 years old and their location, surely you can identify everyone over 65.

Similarly, hospitals do keep records of people with vulnerabilities, let them identify the vulnerable, call or send a letter inviting them and do those vaccinations.

It's not string theory.
Unfortunately local government incompetence is commonplace, regardless of where you live

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
This will all happen eventually.  The Shitstain just did nothing.  Biden already has the big pharmacy companies on board and is actually leading by example.  Masks on etc.  That this shit should have happened a year ago is the point...  It's all on the orange Shitstain. 
He specifically asked to avoid Trump vs Biden bullshit.

We all know that vaccines only started to become available in January .  We all know that the former administration made poor decisions in preparing for distribution.  We are blessed that someone in the hierarchy supported the decision to pre-order vaccines and subsidize/sponsor the manufacture of vaccines before they were even trialed. We are discovering that the USA did not make large enough bets on enough vaccines so there is a shortage.

But even Biden has not yet addressed the fundamental flaw of distribution that depends on states.

And a CDC booking program that is seemingly totally flawd.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Cristoforo said:
He’s not immune to bribery you moron. 
He said he would have been happy to but he said he couldn’t deliver.  Read much?
So, you try to bribe someone to get the vaccine and he refused. Good on him. he's probably got that explanation down pat by now.

You seriously think that someone who would accept a bribe would give a rats ring about being unable to deliver?

Congratulations for contributing to the fight against corruption. you've publicly announced that you tried and failed. 

I'm sure those patiently waiting their turn will thank you.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Cristoforo said:
How about this Zits, 

Cuomo said he may start putting Uber drivers at the head of the vaccine line soon.  That may be the only way New Yorkers may get it.  Sign up with Uber. 
What is clear is that some states  are doing a decent job , some states are run by fools 

the beauty of the US is that you get to choose which state you live in 

jerseyguy

Super Anarchist
Had an appointment with my cardiologist yesterday.  Over the years she has become a friend as well as part of the medical team keeping me alive and functioning.  So after making sure my heart was still working we had our usual conversation about spouses, kids, cars (we buy our from the same dealership).  Inevitably the conversation turned to CIVID. She was noticeably frustrated about how her medical group (one of the 2 largest in the area) was ha d,ing contacting people to make an appointment for a shot.  

Two of her former colleagues, both in their 80s, have still not been contacted by their former employer of 40ish years to make an appointment for a shot.

she reached out and asked me if I would like her to make a shot appointment for my wife and myself.  We are both in group 1B.  Second week of March for our first shot.

Moral to the story.  While governments at the federal, state and local levels may not be doing the best job possible, the same can be said about medical groups and other providers.  

accnick

Super Anarchist
What is clear is that some states  are doing a decent job , some states are run by fools 

the beauty of the US is that you get to choose which state you live in 
Virtually every state has had issues with distribution, getting shots in arms, and determining the order of priority for vaccinations. In Florida, bumping anyone over 65 to the top of the order was a purely political move, since seniors are a huge, reliable voting bloc in the state. We personally have benefitted from that change from the CDC priority guidelines, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do. It also opened a new category of coronavirus vaccine tourism, where people have flown and driven in from out of state to get vaccinated. They are now trying to shut that down.

The governor has turned the vaccination program in Florida largely over to the pharmacies at a single big supermarket chain, whose majority owner just happened to gave the governor a very large political contribution. She also, incidentally, was the primary funder of the now former President's big "stop the steal' rally in Washington on January 6, which resulted in the ransacking of the US capitol building and direct threats of physical violence against both the former vice president and the person second in the line of succession to the Presidency.

None of this is simple. States with large populations have large problems in ramping up vaccinations, and the path to date has been anything but smooth or free of political ramifications.

Didn't mean to get political about this, but if anyone thinks this whole thing is free from political influence, at least where I live, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.