My Wife HATES my Olson 30

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
30/30 GP also fails the OP's headroom requirement.

Also he doesn't need pure light air performance...he wants a boat within a given rating band that can sail to or above its rating in light air...there is a difference

slip knot

Anarchist
Ontario
She likes bringing a girlfriend.

They run down below after, drink, music, gossip whatever.
Sounds to me like you need something with a really big bed, and to stop giving a shit about racing so much. At least as long as she still brings a girlfriend for whatever.
Yes, this is what I was thinking. Why do you need 5'10" headroom if the wife and girlfriend are on their backs?

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse

slip knot

Anarchist
Ontario

Sounds to me like you need something with a really big bed, and to stop giving a shit about racing so much. At least as long as she still brings a girlfriend for whatever.
Yes, this is what I was thinking. Why do you need 5'10" headroom if the wife and girlfriend are on their backs?
Bothe?
That's the preferred method, no?

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Get a Hinckley 42 or 51 as a mothership, the wife can cook, drink, entertain and sleep on her, you can race the O30, then you and the sweety can canoodle on the varnish hog to celebrate your victories in style, with your racing steed rafted alongside. Probably much cheaper than a divorce, and more fun.

A

Amati

Buy a Viper and some sort of motorboat. Used Cobalt?

Edit- big Bayliner?

Last edited:

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Get a Hinckley 42 or 51 as a mothership, the wife can cook, drink, entertain and sleep on her, you can race the O30, then you and the sweety can canoodle on the varnish hog to celebrate your victories in style, with your racing steed rafted alongside. Probably much cheaper than a divorce, and more fun.
The voise of reasone. :)

G

So the cameraman doesn't have to hunch over.

Movable Ballast

Anarchist
San Diego
Turd Sandwich said:
If you like the performance of the O30 you gotta go with the Capri 30. I've had mine for 3 years now and got it for the same reasons. Wife wanted a little more below decks and I wanted fast. We fitted ours with a fixed sprit and Asyms to make using the chute childs play. We now use the chute cruising, would never have done that with a sym. Capri 30 is a light air KILLAH!
Thats one hell of a blow out repair on the kite. What did you do drive a buss through that thing
It was free and we repaired it for the sprit experiment. funny thing is we have several much newer chutes now but still like that one...

wolverine1094

The 30/30 that just got listed...Project Mayhem, is worth a look....it hangs with the J-29 MHOB...sometimes beats them over the line in 4 mile W/L. If you can get past the ugly lines (she has a real fast ass and dopey freeboards) this particular one is turn key and has had a lot of extra structural work recently done....newer mast section, good sails, lots of upgrades...

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
How about a Olson 911? I believe the Ericsons (this is one of those) are heavier than the others, but should be good light air, and wife friendly.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/Ericson-Olson-911-SE-2748929/Waukegan/IL/United-States#.Vg2QKniH2TA
They don't usually go for the OP's budget. Usually $30k or more in good condition. For lighter air, the Pacific Boats built ones are lighter than the Ericson built ones (cored vs solid glass), but typically sell very quickly. The Ericson ones that go for under 30k, can need a lot of tlc, and may need a new bottom.

Otherwise, they should tick all of the boxes and are nice boats. I'm a fan of ours.

We ended up buying a J33.

Hope she likes it... I really really hope she likes it.

She is 5'11" and there is no way there is more than 5'9" down there no matter what anyone says...