N2E 2022. Too early to start the thread?

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
I wonder what the overnight low was

I can't wait to hear what happened in the Ensenada Race. Sounds like it blew and then the typical Ensenada shut off at the finish.
When I shut down and stretched out My friends on Chronic were 49 miles out and doing about 10 knts based on the tracker. Uhambo was about 12 miles behind and moving well too. 
Now I see Uhambo finished at 7am Sat the 23rd and Chronic is back in SD and has no time posted.
One of my crew was invited his  friend on Pendragon to go and I see they are approaching SD and no time posted.

I see another Ventucky boat still cruising in 2.4 miles out  doing 1.1 knts

Nothing lie fresh fish tacos for breakfast.

View attachment 463849

The YB tracker SUCKS for real time following of any boats v others

Gets a ping every 15+ min But the fleet does not all ping at the Sametime

So YB shows 1 boat 15 min further along than another 

Wish they had real time tracking

YB was useless for the run from N Coronado Island to the finish

The J-145 was going 1-2 K faster than Scot that was going about 6 K

That's Huge, but seeing the J-145 's position V where Scot was 15 min ago  made it look like Scot was getting walked

Yet Scot had Finished

That 2+ mile lead at the turn was the difference 

Both boats went about 1/2 the speed they did heading South

But Windy showed it a Reach to the finish, so what was the difference??

Less wind or heading into the seas ??

The J-145 was Much Faster when it no longer mattered.

It might have cost more too  but they might have had a nice dinner on the last leg

Who rates what between the 2

That M-32 that was chasing the Tail of the 2 leaders the whole way Must have been a Hate Mission for the crew

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
They must have some real problems with the results. So many in the N2E and N2SD race without finish times. It shows they started but no times yet?
Many show DNC or DNF. Where are the others?

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
woody, he may be your DOG but not mine.

Seems pretty odd he is faster than boats that owe that him time. I'm Sure PHRF will note this. 66 seems a bit lite for that boat.
Notice the wind direction, seems pretty far aft. This is why the OA and PRO need to wait till race day to choose the proper Course rating.

This business will get out of Control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
Fuck me. A Hunt for Red October quote!

USA275

One would think NOSA, who has no trouble emailing about their sailing seminars, could email the participants that the SI's have been amended the night before. Re: Change of finish line in DP race.  Bad Yelp review from me.

notme

Fast fun sprint down the coast. Lots of sail changes and hard reaching. We ended up 2nd in ULDB Maxi to Peligroso. Top corrected times appear to be ULDB A. 
Actually top corrected overall time was us in ULDB B. They had issues with the trackers luckily I took a photo as we crossed. It even has Chronic on the AIS behind us I think our photo also fixes their finish issues as well. Apparently they had like 30+ boats showing not crossing the line according to tracker some sort of pinging geo something or another.  But you can play it and see us go though again glad I took the photo though.   Finished at 11:19 First to finish in class, first corrected ULDB B and first monohull corrected overall. It was a fun race fought really hard to stay out and I called last Jibe in from 25+ miles offshore which was a nail bitter.  Crew was great was some tough driving with the sea state.

just noticed the account must be some old sock puppet account this is actually Fan

Last edited by a moderator:

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
One would think NOSA, who has no trouble emailing about their sailing seminars, could email the participants that the SI's have been amended the night before. Re: Change of finish line in DP race.  Bad Yelp review from me.
I'm not sure what they use for registration and notifications. Both Yacht Scoring and Regatta Network have tools to Email and Text groups of racers or the whole lot and you can add documents to the emails and texts.

If the Brick of a Tracker cannot be reliable, they will require AIS soon. Using Marine Traffic to watch a race is pretty cool. I watched the Cal 300 SB to SD last time and you could see all the real boats nicely. Pretty much real time.

Actually top corrected overall time was us in ULDB B. They had issues with the trackers luckily I took a photo as we crossed. It even has Chronic on the AIS behind us I think our photo also fixes their finish issues as well. Apparently they had like 30+ boats showing not crossing the line according to tracker some sort of pinging geo something or another.  But you can play it and see us go though again glad I took the photo though.   Finished at 11:19 First to finish in class, first corrected ULDB B and first monohull corrected overall. It was a fun race fought really hard to stay out and I called last Jibe in from 25+ miles offshore which was a nail bitter.  Crew was great was some tough driving with the sea state.

just noticed the account must be some old sock puppet account this is actually Fan
11:47 corrected that is impressive, but Spin Doctor and Chronic were 14 sec apart after 135 miles WOW, what a nail biter finish

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
SHAMELESS* SELF PROMOTION...we really do like to artwork for this year's N2E apparel. 

We think it might have been our original artwork for the N2E 75 year celebration/regatta that might have won the most trophies!
Do you have an upcoming regatta that needs art for promotion and apparel? That's what we do! DM me or email [email protected] for more information.

Newport to Ensenada Race artwork-2.jpg

saboteer

The YB tracker SUCKS for real time following of any boats v others

Gets a ping every 15+ min But the fleet does not all ping at the Sametime

So YB shows 1 boat 15 min further along than another 

Wish they had real time tracking

YB was useless for the run from N Coronado Island to the finish

The J-145 was going 1-2 K faster than Scot that was going about 6 K

That's Huge, but seeing the J-145 's position V where Scot was 15 min ago  made it look like Scot was getting walked

Yet Scot had Finished

That 2+ mile lead at the turn was the difference 

Both boats went about 1/2 the speed they did heading South

But Windy showed it a Reach to the finish, so what was the difference??

Less wind or heading into the seas ??

The J-145 was Much Faster when it no longer mattered.

It might have cost more too  but they might have had a nice dinner on the last leg

Who rates what between the 2

That M-32 that was chasing the Tail of the 2 leaders the whole way Must have been a Hate Mission for the crew
Being one of the 5 on the Melges 32 yes it was wet and wild.  Top speed we saw was 17.2, and 15.4 with Jib/Main alone.  The boat handled it like a champ.  Our run to the island was cut short by a sunfish collision followed by a torn kite.  Still made it around before dusk and finished before 10 so not bad overall.  Congratulations to all the winners.  Skipper says next year we head further south as it should be.  

fan

Super Anarchist
San Diego
Being one of the 5 on the Melges 32 yes it was wet and wild.  Top speed we saw was 17.2, and 15.4 with Jib/Main alone.  The boat handled it like a champ.  Our run to the island was cut short by a sunfish collision followed by a torn kite.  Still made it around before dusk and finished before 10 so not bad overall.  Congratulations to all the winners.  Skipper says next year we head further south as it should be.  
THere was quite a few sunfish strikes this race this is the third I heard about personally.  We hit one at 17 hard stop to like 4 knots.  Luckily everyone was sitting at the time but we did crack the mast partner a bit other then that all was well.  But we hit hard enought we scoped the boat and checked all the keel bolts etc.  I also heard a boat sailed behind a fishing boat that was towing something and ripped the rudder off!

saboteer

THere was quite a few sunfish strikes this race this is the third I heard about personally.  We hit one at 17 hard stop to like 4 knots.  Luckily everyone was sitting at the time but we did crack the mast partner a bit other then that all was well.  But we hit hard enought we scoped the boat and checked all the keel bolts etc.  I also heard a boat sailed behind a fishing boat that was towing something and ripped the rudder off!
Ya we had a similar "immediate" stop.  14/15kts to 3/4kts.  Had the keel checked once in SD and everything looks good.  Luckily for us as well everyone was seated, driver lost all steerage for a moment.  Quick kite douse and clearing, saw the poor thing float off, and it was back to racing.

Crazy about the fishing boat if true. 

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
SHAMELESS* SELF PROMOTION...we really do like to artwork for this year's N2E apparel. 

We think it might have been our original artwork for the N2E 75 year celebration/regatta that might have won the most trophies!
Do you have an upcoming regatta that needs art for promotion and apparel? That's what we do! DM me or email [email protected] for more information.

View attachment 506850
That your graphics work Mark?? Nice