Navy Luders 44 - Alert

Rvatrundler

Well it's time to ask the group for help-

Back in March I traded two motorcycles and a handle of rum half finished to two pirates for a 47' sailboat that had been heavily modified.

After haulout, sanding and new paint it was realized it is the 1963 Luders 44 yawl named the Alert that served as an Academy trainer and racer for years. I am working on getting pictures posted to imgur and will include the link with more pics once finished but here is a start.

Traded Rum and Motorcycles for a US Navy Academy Yawl https://imgur.com/gallery/KiGJ6

My crew and I busted it back to the fiberglass base and started the work. After pulling around 500 deck screws out of the boat there was a lot of little holes to fill. With the help.of youtube sailing forums like this one we finished rebuilding the Westerbeke and we motored around and felt salt in the bow for the first time in at least 2 years. 

Now comes the help. We need sails. Bacons up in annapolis has some but I'm in need of a mizzen and main. As I am new to the site and area I would love feedback to some sail makers or even some tips on used sails to get us running until new ones can be ordered and made.

The Yawl is in deltaville, Virginia I am in Richmond, virginia...the world is the oyster.

The recent history of Alert is it was sold by the navy sailing club at pax river in auction and bought by two ex navy programmers who put thier own twist on it. After restoring their twist the Alert is back in her red, white, and blue...ready for the Bermuda race in June..well will be ready to at least spectate.....Below is some data pulled from navy operating manual, still need mizzen measurements. Thanks for reading.

pyi_placeholdertop.gif

pyi_placeholdertop.gif

LUDERS 44

Hull Type:

Long Keel

Rig Type:

Masthead Yawl

LOA:

44.00' / 13.41m

LWL:

30.10' / 9.17m

Beam:

11.00' / 3.35m

Listed SA:

900 ft2 / 83.61 m2

Draft (max.)

6.00' / 1.83m

Draft (min.)

Displacement:

2340 lbs./ 1061 kgs.

Ballast:

Sail Area/Disp.1:

Bal./Disp.:

Disp./Len.:

Designer:

A. E. Luders

Builder:

Luders Marine Construction/Uniflite Corp.

Construction:

Wood/FG

Bal. type:

First Built:

Last Built:

# Built:

RIG AND SAIL PARTICULARS  KEY

I(IG):

52.50' / 16.00m

J:

16.50' / 5.03m

P:

46.50' / 14.17m

E:

18.00' / 5.49m

PY:

EY:

ISP:

SPL/TPS:

SA(Fore.):

433.13 ft2 / 40.24 m2

SA(Main):

418.50 ft2 / 38.88 m2

Sail Area (100% fore+main triangles):

851.63 ft2 / 79.12 m2

Sail Area/Disp.2:

Est. Forestay Length.:

55.03' / 16.77m

DESIGNER

More about & boats designed by: 

Alfred E. Luders

SEE ALSO:

Related Boat: 

ANNAPOLIS 44

NOTES

Built for the US Naval Academy by Luders Marine Construction. (AKA NAVAL ACADEMY YAWL/NA 44) Originally of wood planked construction (1939). Replaced with a fiberglass version (by Uniflite) in 1963 with a slightly different hull/rig design and different interior layout. (4 went to the US Coast Guard)
A few of the FG version were sold to individuals as sloops/cutters. (See ANNAPOLIS 44). Naval Academy boats were passed on to the US Coast Guard Academy for a few years before being sold off to individuals. 
(Replaced in 1985 with the NAVY 44/DEFIANCE CLASS by McGurdy & Rhodes and again, in 2000, with a Dave Pedrick designed 44 footer.)
The layout shown here is for the original wood version.
Thanks to Mainbrace 76, and several 

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Photos look good. The rum must have worked in your favor. I knew a couple that bought one of the last of the glass NA Luders at auction from the Merchant Marine Academy who got them when the Navy got the newer boats. Wierd donation deal where they didn't actually take possession of the boat for two years during which time they had done a lot of work but it all worked out. They won lots of races in the Caribbean and know all the quirks about bringing one of these back from whatever state they declined. How on earth did the programmers put that much wood on the boat?

A diverse fleet of boats set to the seas for the 24th annual
Coral Bay Thanksgiving Regatta, sailed out of
St. John, November 25 and 26.

With 66 vessels competing in one of 16 classes over the two
day event, regatta director, Dick Burks, said, “It was hard to decide
which class would be the overall winner and the big prize winner of a haul-out
at Independent Boatyard. So, we let the winners in each class pick from a
hat.”

St. John’s Larry and
Lee Best aboard their Luders 44, Osprey, an old
Navel Academy
yawl designed in 1937 and built in 1966, won the PHRF 1 Class and the haul-out.

“We had a great crew and some great racing with
another boat in our class, Tempest, from St.
John,” says Larry Best. “We broke our spinnaker
halyard right before the start and they blew their spinnaker just before the
finish. It maybe saved us a half-minute, but it was really close. Ratings
aside, the close racing to me counted more than the final result. It was loads
of fun.”

Best, who lives aboard Osprey, added, “We were really
lucky to win the haul-out. We really needed it.
There’s no bottom paint left on the boat. I need to scrub it every time I
want to sail.”

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
We visiting regatta collegians used to race the same (as I recall) Luders yawls at the Coast Guard Academy back in the early '70s

Very nice plastic classic.  I'm presently able to borrow a Luders 34 Sea Sprite from a friend in exchange for some brightwork work and occasional bottom scrubbing.  Very nice old-school boat(s).

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
Nice boat. Masthead Enterprises in St Petersburg has a large inventory of used sails. Caveat: low aspect mains are hard to come by. And mizzens also,...plenty of small sails but not so many in weight needed for a mizzen.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Check any and all used-sail listings you can find,  but shop carefully - and modification to the sail for fit is usually ill-advised - you'd be better-off investing in new - which,  if you are going to keep the boat for a while,  you'd be better off doing anyway because it'll likely sail much better with proper sails - but you probably already know that.

Neat boat - a real classic hull shape.  Do good work on it and it should last approximately forever.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
I've got a lot of miles on some of her sisterships, Vigilant (NA-12), Dandy (NA-10) and Fearless NA-8).  Alert was NA-2.  The hulls are built like tanks, the decks were balsa cored.  I think at one time, the Navy Pax River Sailing club recored the decks of both of the two yawls they had, sometime maybe in the late 90s/early 2000s timeframe.

With their low freeboard, you want at least 2 reefs in the main, and you want the mizzen cut on the flat side...which might make finding used sails tougher.  We never used the mizzen's going upwind, but mizzen staysails and mizzen spinnakers were well worth carrying off the wind...

Great boats, if a little wet when the wind and seas get up...

Innocent Bystander

Super Anarchist
Lower Southern MD
Well mannered sea boat that carried literally thousands of midshipmen on their first overnight sail. Given the full keel and form, she won’t exceed hull speed but will truck along for months on a sweet reach and heads will turn each time she enters a harbor. Tons of memories but no real advice on where to find used sails. As mentioned above, not many low aspect sails on the market. On the plus side, the LA means you can skip the laminates and build in Dacron. 

Glad you picked her up and saved her. I may PM you and drive down to DV one weekend and listen to some ghosts. 

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
There were some smaller Luders sloops that had the hot molded wood hulls. Nice boats if taken care of. A friend in the Islands had one and he did a wondrous job of saving that one.

Here is NA 3 one of the FG 44's I mentioned earlier. 

843749_570322129664281_93792960_o.jpg

GTim

Anarchist
Erie, PA
Well it's time to ask the group for help-

Back in March I traded two motorcycles and a handle of rum half finished to two pirates for a 47' sailboat that had been heavily modified.

After haulout, sanding and new paint it was realized it is the 1963 Luders 44 yawl named the Alert that served as an Academy trainer and racer for years. I am working on getting pictures posted to imgur and will include the link with more pics once finished but here is a start.

Traded Rum and Motorcycles for a US Navy Academy Yawl https://imgur.com/gallery/KiGJ6

My crew and I busted it back to the fiberglass base and started the work. After pulling around 500 deck screws out of the boat there was a lot of little holes to fill. With the help.of youtube sailing forums like this one we finished rebuilding the Westerbeke and we motored around and felt salt in the bow for the first time in at least 2 years. 

Now comes the help. We need sails. Bacons up in annapolis has some but I'm in need of a mizzen and main. As I am new to the site and area I would love feedback to some sail makers or even some tips on used sails to get us running until new ones can be ordered and made.

The Yawl is in deltaville, Virginia I am in Richmond, virginia...the world is the oyster.

The recent history of Alert is it was sold by the navy sailing club at pax river in auction and bought by two ex navy programmers who put thier own twist on it. After restoring their twist the Alert is back in her red, white, and blue...ready for the Bermuda race in June..well will be ready to at least spectate.....Below is some data pulled from navy operating manual, still need mizzen measurements. Thanks for reading.

pyi_placeholdertop.gif

pyi_placeholdertop.gif

LUDERS 44

Hull Type:

Long Keel

Rig Type:

Masthead Yawl

LOA:

44.00' / 13.41m

LWL:

30.10' / 9.17m

Beam:

11.00' / 3.35m

Listed SA:

900 ft2 / 83.61 m2

Draft (max.)

6.00' / 1.83m

Draft (min.)

Displacement:

2340 lbs./ 1061 kgs.

Ballast:

Sail Area/Disp.1:

Bal./Disp.:

Disp./Len.:

Designer:

A. E. Luders

Builder:

Luders Marine Construction/Uniflite Corp.

Construction:

Wood/FG

Bal. type:

First Built:

Last Built:

# Built:

RIG AND SAIL PARTICULARS  KEY

I(IG):

52.50' / 16.00m

J:

16.50' / 5.03m

P:

46.50' / 14.17m

E:

18.00' / 5.49m

PY:

EY:

ISP:

SPL/TPS:

SA(Fore.):

433.13 ft2 / 40.24 m2

SA(Main):

418.50 ft2 / 38.88 m2

Sail Area (100% fore+main triangles):

851.63 ft2 / 79.12 m2

Sail Area/Disp.2:

Est. Forestay Length.:

55.03' / 16.77m

DESIGNER

More about & boats designed by: 

Alfred E. Luders

SEE ALSO:

Related Boat: 

ANNAPOLIS 44

NOTES

Built for the US Naval Academy by Luders Marine Construction. (AKA NAVAL ACADEMY YAWL/NA 44) Originally of wood planked construction (1939). Replaced with a fiberglass version (by Uniflite) in 1963 with a slightly different hull/rig design and different interior layout. (4 went to the US Coast Guard)
A few of the FG version were sold to individuals as sloops/cutters. (See ANNAPOLIS 44). Naval Academy boats were passed on to the US Coast Guard Academy for a few years before being sold off to individuals. 
(Replaced in 1985 with the NAVY 44/DEFIANCE CLASS by McGurdy & Rhodes and again, in 2000, with a Dave Pedrick designed 44 footer.)
The layout shown here is for the original wood version.
Thanks to Mainbrace 76, and several 
SA/D = 81.9 LOL.....The first wolf in sheep's clothing.

Rvatrundler

I will work on the rum keg, and uploading interior shots. I have run into many ex crew and logs. It's truly awe inspiring to hear some of the stories. Unfortunately some of the many modifications made were removal of the bowsprint, stern pulpit and stanchions. I will be welding up my own along with a bow anchor cradle, eventually. Ha. 

Thanks for the responses, ive got my eyes oUT for any and all used sails. Keeping the hank on. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Gorgeous boat - way better toy than a couple of bikes. You did well.

Re: sails, my inclination would be to pay for a new main & mizzen because they really need to be an exact fit. Also, they seldom get replaced until they are used up - foresails are sold off for a number of reasons and can be found near new for pennies on the dollar.

Jibs, staysails and spinnakers only need to be close, so good used ones will be just fine. The used sail places generally advise that for chutes anything + or - 10% will work.