NE WR2 for Life Lines - does it mildew in warm and humid locations

Soho

Bermuda..
Want to use some of NE Ropes WR2 for lifelines, but live in a warm humid environment where the boat is in the water 365. Does anybody know if WR2 mildews ?

Just spent some time Saturday on checking on my lifelines: Amsteel Blue, 5/16 uppers, 1/4 lowers, 7/64 lashing (8 parts) one end, eye splices wtih thimbles both ends. Checked splices, stanchion passthrough areas for chafe, slippage, salt build-up, mildew. Rinsed in fresh water (well water, no chlorine). No chafe, no slippage evident on splices (since initial settting), no significant salt inclusions, no signs of mildew. No problems found.

This is after 18 months in service with the only attention being a couple of sessions of tightening the lashings and hosing down when deck gets washed. I don't see any indications I can recognize as signs of uv deterioration, but I don't know if there are visible indications to be seen. I plan to replace in another year +/- based on service life.

I don't know of any way at the user level to evaluate uv deterioration other than pull testing to destruction. Any ideas?

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
^^ The UV damage is recognizable to a degree as surface 'fuzz', but you need prior experience with different levels of damage to be able to judge where you are on a particular sample.

If you do pull them off at some point, I would be interested in breaking them to measure the remaining strength and compare it to the MFG curves I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ The UV damage is recognizable to a degree as surface 'fuzz', but you need prior experience with different levels of damage to be able to judge where you are on a particular sample.

If you do pull them off at some point, I would be interested in breaking them to measure the remaining strength and compare it to the MFG curves I have.
Happy to oblige. (If they survive our cruising without other damage, of course.) About another year, as I said. I hope.

sailboatold

I have had WR2 lifelines for two seasons now, no signs of abrasion or mildew, some slight staining were lifeline goes through stanchions. Strangely the line always feels damp. I take life lines off when boat stored for winter, in water 5 months each year. Located Atlantic Canada.

thinwater

Super Anarchist
Deale, MD
Google 'dyneema lifeline starzinger us sailing.'. There is a good artcle that details bend radius and uv life. For 8 mm line, aboutb50% after 5 years. 5/16" should go nearly 10 years', not 3 years.

Latest posts