New Beneteau First 36

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
I get the feeling that most people on this thread dislike the boat, the people who have designed it and the people making it

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
I like it so far as well, and I appreciate Kristian jumping into the conversation. 

Part of me wants something somewhere in between the First version and the Seascape version though. I like to keep things complicated... not in the market for a new boat anytime soon though. 

J11J

I like it so far as well, and I appreciate Kristian jumping into the conversation. 

Part of me wants something somewhere in between the First version and the Seascape version though. I like to keep things complicated... not in the market for a new boat anytime soon though. 
They did this with the 27; You can put the cabon SE rig on the standard F27. Hopefully if the SE version of the 36 materializes, they will maintain some interchangeability.  Add one more to the like column. Solid specs so far and seems to be at the lower range of the price spectrum for its class.

inneedofadvice

Super Anarchist
Sarnia
Well, while MR. is looking at the steering position and sail controls, MRS. goes straight down to galley and toilet. If these two areas do not pass the  MRS. test, then boat becomes like a stripper club... you can watch, but you can't take home...
The fact that you feel comfortable saying this in a public forum while representing Beneteau and Seascape is fucked up. 

The fact that you feel comfortable saying this in a public forum while representing Beneteau and Seascape is fucked up. 
Really? And I thought it is sincere, go figure...
However, for a polished corporate talk, you have to visit Beneteau web page and access information there not expecting to find it on Sailing Anarchy forum.
I do not represent anybody, just doing these comments for fun in my free time for those who are interested in this quite exciting boat.

Regarding the OSR categories: boat is compliant regarding the toerails, stanchions, pulpit, etc. STIX, AWS and AGZ values should be there by design, but they must be checked and validated with weighted finished boat before I write them down in public.

Rigs and keels are designed for worst load case and interchangeable. Meaning carbon rig and ALU rig takes same geometry and same mast foot arrangement. Also the 3 planned keels ([email protected], standard and performance) will have same hull footprint and bolting pattern, while keel structure is designed for max load (stability & grounding) for performance keel.

Since you are mentioning the price of mast in USD, I think it is about right. Price of rig (exchange from EUR to USD)  + transport + dealer's margin on the option ...

nigel

Thanks for contributing so much to the conversation, Kristian. This is exactly the boat I've been looking for - fast and fun for me, with the right set of comforts and amenities for the family. Plus single handed-optimized do I can have my fun with the family onboard. I hope to lock in one of the first deliveries to North America. 

What is the headroom?

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Regarding the OSR categories: boat is compliant regarding the toerails, stanchions, pulpit, etc. STIX, AWS and AGZ values should be there by design, but they must be checked and validated with weighted finished boat before I write them down in public.

... Also the 3 planned keels ([email protected], standard and performance) will have same hull footprint and bolting pattern
Good deal on the offshore stuff.

Three keels? IIRC, the Bene 36.7 had two keels, shoal and standard. I'm told that lots of guys with the shoal keel in Annapolis were getting their asses handed to them, so they went out and bought the standard keel. I don't know if there will ever by a OD class for this boat, but three keels sure won't help that happen.  

At the moment there is only one keel design,  standard cast iron keel with cast iron bulb at 2.25m. There is strong initiative to have performance version with lead bulb at 2.55m (and -250kg) . We are keen to do it once the base options get sorted as this keel will - with carbon mast - reduce weight of the boat for another 300kg. 

As soon as we came out with specs there was some initiative to have a shallow draft version  for shallow venues. That could be easily done but is not really in the decision pipeline yet. If we get enough demand from certain customers, then we might consider it.

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
Not sure what women you're hanging out with, but to most of the women I sail with, his generalization would be insulting. Maybe it was different in 1975
I don't know mate, my wife is pretty progressive and a damn adventurous sailor and she insists our next boat have a decent head and a galley to make coffee in the morning.  Hanging her ass over the side to pee and using the Jetboil for instant coffee are getting old.

Last edited by a moderator:

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Not sure what women you're hanging out with, but to most of the women I sail with, his generalization would be insulting. Maybe it was different in 1975
Sure there are women for whom this would be insulting and some who are not concerned about the head. If we stepped back from the woke elements of this, I would guess the VAST majority of the women participating in the decision to purchase a boat like this would make these elements a big part of the decision. 

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Sure there are women for whom this would be insulting and some who are not concerned about the head. If we stepped back from the woke elements of this, I would guess the VAST majority of the women participating in the decision to purchase a boat like this would make these elements a big part of the decision. 
I think they clearly would and do, and I don't understand why someone should think that's a problem. Especially if you consider that most people shelling out ~ $300k US are not kids. While the 20 something young women I know are happy to rough it with the guys, many women I know in their mid 40's on up are not shy about being more concerned about the accommodations below. And while the men may be more focused on performance, some of us like our comforts too. We may not admit it as much, but the women do. 

Maybe what's sexist is disregarding the concerns of women while catering to just what the men want. Especially when it's a family budget.

At the moment there is only one keel design,  standard cast iron keel with cast iron bulb at 2.25m. There is strong initiative to have performance version with lead bulb at 2.55m (and -250kg) . We are keen to do it once the base options get sorted as this keel will - with carbon mast - reduce weight of the boat for another 300kg. 

As soon as we came out with specs there was some initiative to have a shallow draft version  for shallow venues. That could be easily done but is not really in the decision pipeline yet. If we get enough demand from certain customers, then we might consider 

Good deal on the offshore stuff.

Three keels? IIRC, the Bene 36.7 had two keels, shoal and standard. I'm told that lots of guys with the shoal keel in Annapolis were getting their asses handed to them, so they went out and bought the standard keel. I don't know if there will ever by a OD class for this boat, but three keels sure won't help that happen.  
+1

As in, I agree with you George.  

Not as in we need x +1 keels.  Three is already too many.

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
@Kristian Seascape The J/111 has an interesting (to me at least) keel design. It's basically a hollow shaft with the lead (I think its lead) at the bottom. When I saw that I realized that a solid cast iron or lead keel has a lot of weight within a short distance of the hull, and that weight is less effective than the weight lower. So it seemed clever to focus all the weight down low. Have you guys looked at that design?

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
Woke or not has nothing to do with this, its about selling boats.

The question is whether the statement is more likely to gain or lose a sale. Pissing off a potential customer (however woke they may be) is generally not a good strategy. There are several car salesmen near me that have lost a sale because they made dumb assumptions about who they were selling to, and what features would matter most to whom, when my wife and I were out looking for a new car.

Frankly the person who should care most about the head is whoever has to fix it when(not if) it gets blocked. I'm lucky, no head on my boat so nothing to fix.