New Beneteau First 36

Blur

Super Anarchist
Sweden
Gentlemen, I apologize but I made a typo. A2 is 150m2, Code 5 is 90m2.

Standard alu rig is coming from Z-Spars while carbon mast is an option and is being built by Axxon.
Sounds resonable. Same setup we had on the J/111 before trying to get into the proper IRC class by getting under 1.100.

Looking forward to seeing this on the water.

A

Amati

Wow, an 8 foot 4 inch keel! That's going to limit owners a bit, and make over road transport a pain (at least here in the US). I couldn't tell from your description, but is the keel bolted and glued or just bolted? Being able to drop the keel for transport or repair would be handy. 
Having lived with an 8.5’ draft for 20 years, it can clear your sinuses at times, and lead to longer courses, but the sailing qualities are beguiling, upwind and down.

Moveable keels are fun until you get marine growth in them.  I’ve wondered about the Pogo style swing keel- are they designed and built to crunch growth with no damage?

A

Amati

Being a predominantly fresh-water sailor I've never had to consider this. How much of a problem is it really? 
Depends where you are, what design movable appendages, and what kind of anti fouling you’re allowed.  I move the tiller at least once a week, and even then, it can be crunchy. What with COVID, a diver is a good thing.

darth reapius

Super Anarchist
Straya
Depends where you are, what design movable appendages, and what kind of anti fouling you’re allowed.  I move the tiller at least once a week, and even then, it can be crunchy. What with COVID, a diver is a good thing.
Growth in rudder bearings god fucking damn that sucks. The growth happening here at the moment is insane, the guys racing I catch them cleaning their bottoms WEEKLY.

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Growth in rudder bearings god fucking damn that sucks. The growth happening here at the moment is insane, the guys racing I catch them cleaning their bottoms WEEKLY.
Oh I have always cleaned weekly. I don't have an articulating keel but the diver manages to keep the growth out of the folding prop gears without any trouble.  

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
Yacht.de is reporting that Beneteau Group (and many other big brands, Hanse/Dehler, X-Yachts, Dufour among them) will not participate in the upcoming boot Düsseldorf.

Will this affect you as well, Kristian?

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
FFS - Flights and hotel booked specifically to go and view the 36. That is something of a pain in the arse.
I guess there's no official word yet - but Ljubljana looks interesting..

big-a6f6878d6b484da47c4736c54dd57d93.jpg

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
some encouraging news from Pure on the First 36:

"Well, we certainly use the same tools, the same engineering analysis and calculations that go into America's cup, here on the First 36."

"We are managing to hit the target weight we are aiming for"

"I think the hull shape is quite new for a boat of this type and size. It's going to be a very lively, exciting boat to sail. You will feel alive in the boat. So I think it's hull shape, and to be honest, I am pretty happy with what we are doing. We're managing to keep it pretty light. It's going to be nice and light and rigid, much better than boats that size sold in production."

https://seascape-edition.com/stories/f36-interview-series-giovanni-belgrano-from-pure-design-engineering-10572

well, honestly I am happy with the decision. Boat shows are there to meet people, talk to them, show them the boat and generally forge contacts and relations. However, this year, this would not be possible. The organizers are not listening to exhibitors and are pushing their agenda. Among other the entrance will be allowed only to vaccinated or those who recovered from covid19 withing 6months. Access to the boat will be limited, basically, invited only, exhibitors will have to follow disinfection protocols, wearing FFP2 class mask will be mandatory for the whole duration. Thank you, but no, thank you. I do not see apoint in going there. Fortunately the entire Groupe Beneteau decided and cancelled participation. Among other brands that took same decision are Dragonfly, X-yachts, entire Hanse group (Hanse, Dehler, ...) Oyster. And that was just the beginning. Followed suit was Beneteau Group (Beneteau, Jeanneau, Lagoon, Prestige, etc), Fountain Pajot Group/Dufour as well as most of Italian brands - Solaris, Grand Soleil, Swan and Italia Yachts.
For us, this is good as we will launch the boat in Adriatic in second half of January, plus we can shift more resources in building the boat #2 and complete her too in mid February. 

T sailor

Chesapeake
So Kristian,

what are the odds of doing a 9500lbs, slightly stripped down SE version.  I like the boat but am a bit disappointed in the 10,500lbs displacement.  

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
well, honestly I am happy with the decision. Boat shows are there to meet people, talk to them, show them the boat and generally forge contacts and relations. However, this year, this would not be possible. The organizers are not listening to exhibitors and are pushing their agenda. Among other the entrance will be allowed only to vaccinated or those who recovered from covid19 withing 6months. Access to the boat will be limited, basically, invited only, exhibitors will have to follow disinfection protocols, wearing FFP2 class mask will be mandatory for the whole duration. Thank you, but no, thank you. I do not see apoint in going there. Fortunately the entire Groupe Beneteau decided and cancelled participation. Among other brands that took same decision are Dragonfly, X-yachts, entire Hanse group (Hanse, Dehler, ...) Oyster. And that was just the beginning. Followed suit was Beneteau Group (Beneteau, Jeanneau, Lagoon, Prestige, etc), Fountain Pajot Group/Dufour as well as most of Italian brands - Solaris, Grand Soleil, Swan and Italia Yachts.
For us, this is good as we will launch the boat in Adriatic in second half of January, plus we can shift more resources in building the boat #2 and complete her too in mid February. 
You all can bring your boats here to Charleston, we'll have none of that Covid restriction crap and it's an awesome place!

Last edited by a moderator:

parey

france
Ceux qui veulent un bateau vide, voir Ker, Melges, ou Black Pepper, Moi j'attends un couteau Suisse pour tout faire ,courrir ou croiser fun avec la famille... même tout petit plus lourd. 

Latest posts