New Beneteau First 36

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
The news release touting the combination of a family cruiser with the largest living accommodations in it's class, combined with planing in medium winds, seems a bit optimistic. Perhaps the the interior will be huge and light because it is almost empty, just a portapotty and a few yoga mats to sleep on.
Hopefully this. The Pogo 12.5 is an absolute rocket off the wind, but also vey large. The secret? Empty volume weights nothing.

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
I'm optimistic, and impatiently waiting for the published light displacement. At or below 9000 lbs and it has my FULL attention.
:blink:

I mean, it is DOable. 

This is what roughly 9000 lbs can look like in a 36ft boat:

Pogo_36_Interiors.jpg

Pogo 36

On the other hand, these boats never sail to their rating, regardless if IRC or ORC.

But both hints -the chines and Sam Manuard as Naval Architect- to me point more towards the Pogo / Fun side than the J/111 side.

I think it's going to target a market that can be described as 'Dehler 30 OD - but larger'. 

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Yes, but it's not good at boatshows, so I doubt they went with that option. Not really their target market.
Perhaps. But the last (non-planing) First 35 sold what, 10 hulls? That's certainly not anybody's market. This is really a Seascape, and more along the lines of Pogo than Oceanis. If they keep it light I'm guessing it will do just fine. Bloat it like the old First 30 JK, and they'll sit.

slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
Hmm. I had a First 36.7 That weighed 11500, and it was made out of solid glass with a fully kitted interior. The stated design goal for the First 36 was:
According to sailboatdata.com, the displacement is listed at 12,941 lbs.  Is the 11,500 lbs from a 36.7 actually being weighed?

HypnoToad

Anarchist
Reminds me of the SC37. The wheels look cool on paper. But when you see a normal size dude standing there, he looks like a circus bear on a tricycle. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
The problem with most cruiser/racers is cockpit ergonomics. I see all assholes and elbows when short-tacking and during mark roundings. And when the main trimmer has to pull someone off the weather rail and use words to trim traveler/cunningham/outhaul/vang/backstay instead just reaching down and adjusting a little fine tune, it makes for a chattery cockpit filled with miscommunication. At my advanced age I want need a more ergonomic cockpit.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Ass end view. Lots of clever touches, but I would not look forward to breaking the long window with a flailing floating jib lead ring...

View attachment 459541
I see no provision for a sprayhood, unlike the Pogo range.

That omission will be fine for those in warm and climates, but a big negative for those in Northern Europe or in areas like Maine, Canada, or the PNW.

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
I see no provision for a sprayhood, unlike the Pogo range.

That omission will be fine for those in warm and climates, but a big negative for those in Northern Europe or in areas like Maine, Canada, or the PNW.
A sprayhood would be an easy add on surely?

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
A sprayhood would be an easy add on surely?
Look at the arrangement of lines and decklights either side of the companionway.  Hard to secure the bottom of the sprayhood onto that, let alone do that in a way which impedes spray or green water from coming under the sprayhood

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
UT
Ass end view. Lots of clever touches, but I would not look forward to breaking the long window with a flailing floating jib lead ring...

View attachment 459541
Seats in front of the traveler look removable.  Although the J/111 seems to set the ergonomic standard in this size.

And yes, it's very similar to the Italia, Elan, GS, Dufor, etc.  But there is brand awareness with Beneteau in the USA that I think will help it sell better here than the other Euros.  

The Italia 9.98 LOOKS better IMHO but if I dip my toe into this price range, this looks like something to consider.