New Beneteau First 36

sawyer

Look at here go!

ASF36-4490.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DingDong

UK
A great combination of performance, looks and comfort - I'd suspect it will be a roaring sales success. (I'm a bit of a fanboy as my co-skipper's 36 arrives in June)

Flaming

Anarchist
UK
I do love the look of this boat.  But I have 1 minor question...

Given that all the blurb on the website is about it having the interior volume being the same as the previous generation 40 footer...  Was the fold up sink really necessary?

Flaming, this is actually a very good question. We played different options for several iterations. When living on board you need cabins and functional living space for majority of time. You spend minimal time in the toilet/shower... doing the necessary things. So, a compromise worth taking is to reduce area to minimal but very functional space, while maximizing salon and cabin area. Folding sink is a simple but very useful feature to free space as you very rarely need both of them  (sink and a toilet) at the same time...

Antti AjolaYachts

Flaming, this is actually a very good question. We played different options for several iterations. When living on board you need cabins and functional living space for majority of time. You spend minimal time in the toilet/shower... doing the necessary things. So, a compromise worth taking is to reduce area to minimal but very functional space, while maximizing salon and cabin area. Folding sink is a simple but very useful feature to free space as you very rarely need both of them  (sink and a toilet) at the same time...
I already had to answer this question when showing the drawings of the toilet. They said that a boat like this there may surprisingly often be situations where there is stuff coming out from the both ends! ;)

But still I do prefer this one you did in Slovenia!

fractional on a furler? (apparently an option - although I don't see the furler on this one).

but, there may also be a masthead kite. for a little more acreage. 
there is a (9/10)  masthead, a furler based Code 5 and a full fractional kite.  This one on a picture is fractional kite from the ClubSwan 36 and it fits well... So, we may not be a swan, but at least we are a duck....

Last edited by a moderator:

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
I already had to answer this question when showing the drawings of the toilet. They said that a boat like this there may surprisingly often be situations where there is stuff coming out from the both ends! ;)

But still I do prefer this one you did in Slovenia!
My Dad use to call that condition the Whirling Death, it's when you don't know which end to put down on the toilet. Ugh!

42 South

Anarchist
Some minor observations:-

• The grab rail on the helm position will end up with the main sheet caught around if not correctly gybed
  • The fourules/rope guides on the barber hauler for the jib sheet will end up damaging the deck - needs some protection
  • No jib tracks? What about sheeting for #3 and #4's? 

Any update on the 27 sinking in China?
They think they have found the source of the leak but won't know till they try and float her again. I will report back somewhere else and leave the First 36 to its glory. I really hope lessons have been learnt for the sake of all the new excited owners. That's how I felt last year this time! 

Will1073

Anarchist
They think they have found the source of the leak but won't know till they try and float her again. I will report back somewhere else and leave the First 36 to its glory. I really hope lessons have been learnt for the sake of all the new excited owners. That's how I felt last year this time! 
I’m glad there’s some progress on your situation!

HolUp

"SPEED MADE EASY - when you boat can do 14 knots on jib alone..."

So maybe get the copywriters to fix that you/your typo. 

Otherwise under what conditions TWS/TWA is it living up to this claim?

Any SE edition in the works?

Maybe one with a tiller option?