New Beneteau First 36

Some minor observations:-

• The grab rail on the helm position will end up with the main sheet caught around if not correctly gybed
  • The fourules/rope guides on the barber hauler for the jib sheet will end up damaging the deck - needs some protection
  • No jib tracks? What about sheeting for #3 and #4's? 
ad 1: it caught around the wheel pedestals if you did the beam reach to beam reach when the mainsheet was slack. We moved the sheet point on the boom 150mm forward and did not happen ever since.  Grab rails on the helm are great - first as a deflectors for the sheet and second for something to grab instead of grabbing the wheel or  mainsheet.

ad 2. we are aware of this and are observing the wear. So far (2 months of intense sailing) there is no damage. Jib clew shoudl be higher and the friction ring should be on bungee connected to lower diagonal. But so far no damage.

ad 3. it should work with proper sail cut/clew position.

Talk about the 14kts on two sails... we did that on 26kts TWS, beam reaching.

A

Amati

"SPEED MADE EASY - when you boat can do 14 knots on jib alone..."

So maybe get the copywriters to fix that you/your typo. 

Otherwise under what conditions TWS/TWA is it living up to this claim?

Any SE edition in the works?

Maybe one with a tiller option?
The wheel action did look a bit white knuckled (but we have a 40er with a tiller, so there you go…)- white 2 sail planing is really fun.

Last edited:

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
lol. apparently Kristian still getting badgered about unauthorized marketing.. 

image.png

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
yes. for those that missed it: half was going to weather. half was reaching (with - I think - the Swan 36 assym).

to weather the boat appears a Pogo like wedge, although not quite as extreme perhaps, and apparently likes to heel - the leeward rudder almost completely clear of the water. cool. really interesting shape. powerful hull forward.

off the breeze it did break loose. and yes. just like a pogo - the videographer became entranced with the smooth wake exiting the transom. and the rooster tail emerging about a boat-length aft the stern..

perhaps the video pulled because non-specific sails? idk. or perhaps the bikini clad models and throw pillows were absent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey

Super Anarchist
yes. for those that missed it: half was going to weather. half was reaching (with - I think - the Swan 36 assym).

to weather the boat appears a Pogo like wedge, although not quite as extreme perhaps, and apparently likes to heel - the leeward rudder almost completely clear of the water. cool. really interesting shape. powerful hull forward.

off the breeze it did break loose. and yes. just like a pogo - the videographer became entranced with the smooth wake exiting the transom. and the rooster tail emerging about a boat-length aft the stern..

perhaps the video pulled because non-specific sails? idk. or perhaps the bikini clad models and throw pillows were absent.
That’s a serious bummer if the leeward rudder is almost completely clear of the water!   :D

Craxy

I agree the foldable sink in the toilet is a good compromise to prioritize interior space where it is best needed, even if it would've been nice to have a fixed.

What I would have liked to see is a retractable bowsprit, like on the Elan E5.

And on the somewhat more unorthodox wishlist is the possibility to easily swap between wheels and tiller, with easy to remove and refit wheels and tiller. I really enjoy the tiller in racing, and I really enjoy the wheels when cruising. Just taking the adaptable cockpit concept one step further :)

Also, for us in the Nordic countries with our archipelago and thousands of natural harbours, an optional 1,8m draft keel. If Grand Soleil can do it, so can Beneteau ;)

The only thing the First 36 has really going against it, is the price. I'm afraid it will be what prevents this boat from being a true success in the market.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craxy

€350k +/- including taxes, depending on options you'll easily get to €400k

Even with a minimum of options you will end up well above €300k for a ready to sail boat.

Latest posts