New Beneteau First 36

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
Clearly I've not been on enough modern 36ft boats, because I'd have said that's seriously optimistic marketing talk. 

But if you've done it you've done it. 

Kudos. 
We were three up one day under white sails heading for home when the wind built from low 20's to 30, a nice lazy TWA of 110. One on deck helming , the other two of us below after putting in the first reef. As we cleared the wind shadow of an island, the boat heeled till the chine planted and just accelerated away. A glance at the numbers at the nav station, 15-16 knots over water.

We nipped back upstairs to ease the mainsheet and to enquire if the 60yr old lady on the helm would like someone to take over? No chance, she was crouched over the wheel, windward leg bent to offset the heel and hollering like a teenager. 

She flatly refused to relinquish the helm till we were reached the leads and had to down sails. There is a great photo of her on her fridge at home, all alone on deck, one gloved hand holding the lifeline to offset the 20 degree heel of the deck and one resting on the helm, wet hair plastered over her jacket and the biggest smile you could wish for.

It sure is a fun way to sail. 

Last edited by a moderator:

NitrousVic

Greece
Hi Kristian, 

I have a few questions please..

1. Is this simply a locker for stuff?

image.png

2. Are the sea cocks (thru hulls), from brass or plastic (Tru design type)?

3. Are the sea cocks under the hull, flash (recessed) or protruding?

4. On the removable cockpit bench extensions, is this opening direction correct? and if yes, why was it done this way?

image.png

HolUp

We were three up one day under white sails heading for home when the wind built from low 20's to 30, a nice lazy TWA of 110. One on deck helming , the other two of us below after putting in the first reef. As we cleared the wind shadow of an island, the boat heeled till the chine planted and just accelerated away. A glance at the numbers at the nav station, 15-16 knots over water.

We nipped back upstairs to ease the mainsheet and to enquire if the 60yr old lady on the helm would like someone to take over? No chance, she was crouched over the wheel, windward leg bent to offset the heel and hollering like a teenager. 

She flatly refused to relinquish the helm till we were reached the leads and had to down sails. There is a great photo of her on her fridge at home, all alone on deck, one gloved hand holding the lifeline to offset the 20 degree heel of the deck and one resting on the helm, wet hair plastered over her jacket and the biggest smile you could wish for.

It sure is a fun way to sail. 
If someone asked me what sort of boat with a proper interior could do it - with zero experience on them, Pogo would have been my go to.  

I don't doubt you did it on yours Shaggy, but you're also talking 40ft not 36ft and very different sail area to displacement ratios. Not to mention beam, chines etc. 

'high score' coming down a wave with the right wind, right sea state and planets in perfect alignment aren't really representative of the actual/typical - so if it's being advertised as such, feels a little slick to me. 

Early days yet, lets see how she goes once all the testers and YouTube get their hands on it. 

Maybe it's more than reasonable/doable and it's high 5's and beers all round to the design team for a stellar job and Beneteau have got something real special on their hands here. 

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
the boat heeled till the chine planted and just accelerated away.
I suspect the doubters have never witnessed this. tell me if I'm wrong - but my thought is that it's a fundamentally different mode of sailing a boat.

typical boats with canoe hulls get up and surge away with a wave. but going after that heel. and then just blasting off. that's a different beast.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
If someone asked me what sort of boat with a proper interior could do it - with zero experience on them, Pogo would have been my go to.  

I don't doubt you did it on yours Shaggy, but you're also talking 40ft not 36ft and very different sail area to displacement ratios. Not to mention beam, chines etc. 

'high score' coming down a wave with the right wind, right sea state and planets in perfect alignment aren't really representative of the actual/typical - so if it's being advertised as such, feels a little slick to me. 

Early days yet, lets see how she goes once all the testers and YouTube get their hands on it. 

Maybe it's more than reasonable/doable and it's high 5's and beers all round to the design team for a stellar job and Beneteau have got something real special on their hands here. 
Agree mate, a few extra feet make a lot of difference. Included for reference and informational purposes only. 

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
I suspect the doubters have never witnessed this. tell me if I'm wrong - but my thought is that it's a fundamentally different mode of sailing a boat.

typical boats with canoe hulls get up and surge away with a wave. but going after that heel. and then just blasting off. that's a different beast.
Yes it is a different 'mode' , the biggest tell is everything just gets easier. In fact, this can sometimes be a negative when racing. We often found the higher speed masks you doing a shit helming job. You can still punt along making good averages thinking your shit doesn't stink but you're not optimal in trim or angles. This is where the electronics came in, to try and help me keep sight of those few degrees of groove where you are really start to push the optimal VMC numbers. 

It makes for great fun helming, the boat gets very responsive to keel and rudder inputs and the hull just snakes along for the ride.   

Last edited by a moderator:

HolUp

Put it in the wrong damn thread earlier, but for those looking at price - just seen it listed up on YachtHub for $490k without any fancy options. 

Makes a base Sunfast 3600 or JPK 1080 look good value at $100k less. 

jack jones

australia
The forward esky hand who sets spinakers and serves drinks on our boat fully approved the central fridge for drinks and kite drops and she also approved the handbasin in the head.    WE also fully approved the curved fiddle edges on the cabinetry as we are getting tired of bruised hips from all these production boats with sharp corners.

Hi Kristian, 

I have a few questions please..

1. Is this simply a locker for stuff? It is actually access point for all the electric related stuff. Batteries are central and the switchboard is on starboard, so it passes this point.

2. Are the sea cocks (thru hulls), from brass or plastic (Tru design type)? Brass - they are less problematic to leaking and cracking on the long run.

3. Are the sea cocks under the hull, flash (recessed) or protruding? Protruding ... (for now).  Otherwise we need to go plastic.

4. On the removable cockpit bench extensions, is this opening direction correct? and if yes, why was it done this way?
The covers open centrally because they are also used as a rope storage. It might seem counterintuitive on a first glance but it works really well to keep cruising cockpit clear of ropes...
image.png

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
I suspect some of the skeptics may be underestimating the market for this type of boat. A mid 30 foot performance cruiser without an extreme design and a nod toward comfort tends to do well overall. J sold over 375 109s, and C&C something like 100 99s. The net reports 800 First 36.7s, although that seems unlikely. These are boats with standing headroom, comfortable cockpits, wheels for helms, and anchors. They are fun to sail, but make great couples and small family cruisers that you can spend a week on coastal sailing.

If done right people are willing to pay a premium for this type of boat. Seascape needed to update the concept with dual wheels, fixed sprit, and things like a cockpit table to attract a wide range of buyers. I look forward to seeing a few on the water soon.

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
I suspect some of the skeptics may be underestimating the market for this type of boat. A mid 30 foot performance cruiser without an extreme design and a nod toward comfort tends to do well overall. J sold over 375 109s, and C&C something like 100 99s. The net reports 800 First 36.7s, although that seems unlikely. These are boats with standing headroom, comfortable cockpits, wheels for helms, and anchors. They are fun to sail, but make great couples and small family cruisers that you can spend a week on coastal sailing.
I agree.

They've hit quite a nice comfort / performance balance I think, pricing wise I have no idea what's good & bad for a new boat. 
But I could say local club racing something like this, but being happy to jump onboard for 6 weeks over summer.