New Beneteau First 36

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
Why no pictures of the leak around the prop shaft “fixed” with an entire tube of Sikaflex and a spatula?  I mean, that’s a standard on all new Bene’s, right?
That's under NDA, or everyone will want one. Sika doesn't grow on trees you know, and those with the skills to apply it like that are busy fucking other stuff up.

Fintho

Tasmania
Does this really fill any kind of niche in the market? What box does this tick that a J99 or J111, or a 3300 or 3600 doesn't?  

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
I've seen three broken 'windows' on Pogos. I broke one of them.
Do you mean 'broken' or just damaged? 

It's hard to believe that a jib lead ring weighing just grams could break the window, even if it was flailing about. Perspex is pretty tough stuff. 

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
Do you mean 'broken' or just damaged? 

It's hard to believe that a jib lead ring weighing just grams could break the window, even if it was flailing about. Perspex is pretty tough stuff. 

Cracked. Its why you often see these rings suspended by a loop of strong shock cord from the lower Ds. Keep them away from the windows.

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
Does this really fill any kind of niche in the market? What box does this tick that a J99 or J111, or a 3300 or 3600 doesn't?  
Hah?

Would not be surprised to find that a similar J would cost 2x as much. Disappointed yes, but not surprised.

Doubt you'll find many families cruising in a SF. Day racing together? Yes. Occaional point to point racing together, maybe. Cruising? Doubt it.

Not saying there is not some others similar boat (some point to the D36P) but a comp vs a J or SF is valueless.

I'm optimistic, and impatiently waiting for the published light displacement. At or below 9000 lbs and it has my FULL attention.
communication about this boat is under full control of marketing department so until they spill the beans, we can't publish  or say anything. However, few things to consider... Working with Sam Manuard and Giovanni Belgrano/Pure Engineering is really something special. Surely will talk about that latter, but we designed the 36  between Sam's new IMOCA and PURE's support to Team New Zealand during AC. Sorry guys, we will send drawings tomorrow, we have a(n urgent) meeting with TNZ now. Being in this position,  I really appreciate for the opportunity to work with these guys. 
Boat is being built in Slovenia in Seascape shipyard. It will have fully cored hull deck and structure (Corecell). There will be no structural wood inside, meaning all bulkheads will be molded in cored GRP. There will be exactly 4 pieces of furniture + floorboards in wood + some wooden grabrails. Where will this lead us? Hopefully where we wanted to place this boat. Not as a super mass market product but having something that will redefine what a modern performance cruiser should be capable of...

"We will see..." the Zen master says.

A

Amati

But 14,100 lbs?? That's 1k over my old 36.7, a boat that would not plane if you sailed it off the edge of the earth.
:lol:

D/L should be around 90 (?) for planing, maybe, but the consensus these days seems to be pile on gobs of sail area, make the stern wide and flattish, put a chine aft, get the D/L under 130 and maybe that’ll work…

but really, the Ultimate sailboats, (U20, U27) were doing a lot better than that in the 90’s.  The 210 was doing it 60 years ago?  And the sq meters boats (although it was wobble wobble downwind)

Last edited:

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
what happens when Sam designs the interior.

image.jpeg

oioi

Super Anarchist
communication about this boat is under full control of marketing department so until they spill the beans, we can't publish  or say anything. However, few things to consider... Working with Sam Manuard and Giovanni Belgrano/Pure Engineering is really something special. Surely will talk about that latter, but we designed the 36  between Sam's new IMOCA and PURE's support to Team New Zealand during AC. Sorry guys, we will send drawings tomorrow, we have a(n urgent) meeting with TNZ now. Being in this position,  I really appreciate for the opportunity to work with these guys. 
Boat is being built in Slovenia in Seascape shipyard. It will have fully cored hull deck and structure (Corecell). There will be no structural wood inside, meaning all bulkheads will be molded in cored GRP. There will be exactly 4 pieces of furniture + floorboards in wood + some wooden grabrails. Where will this lead us? Hopefully where we wanted to place this boat. Not as a super mass market product but having something that will redefine what a modern performance cruiser should be capable of...

"We will see..." the Zen master says.

Sounds promising! Hope to see it at Das Boot

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
:lol:

D/L should be around 90 (?) for planing, maybe, but the consensus these days seems to be pile on gobs of sail area, make the stern wide and flattish, put a chine aft, get the D/L under 130 and maybe that’ll work…

but really, the Ultimate sailboats, (U20, U27) were doing a lot better than that in the 90’s.  The 210 was doing it 60 years ago?  And the sq meters boats (although it was wobble wobble downwind)
Funny you mention the U20.... its our 'fun boat', and the one we jump on for simple sailing pleasure and speed. 

I've owned 4 racy/cruisy boats in the 30s, and the next one has to plane, and do so under non-hero conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting two rudders on it was a huge mistake.  That makes it a non-starter in any light-wind venue - the extra drag will make it really hard to sail to its numbers and it’ll have zero feel.  And I agree that the two dwarf wheels look ridiculous.  They should rethink the whole back third.

coyotepup

Anarchist
Michigan
Another in a rapidly growing line of incredibly nice, incredibly expensive boats that will never be raced one-design, if raced at all.

A

Amati

Funny you mention the U20.... its our 'fun boat', and the one we jump on for simple sailing pleasure and speed. 

I've owned 4 racy/cruisy boats in the 30s, and the next one has to plane, and do so under non-hero conditions.
It’s too bad they couldn’t get the U34 built.  Although there’s a sketch on the Antrim site….

07AFD7B8-9C4E-4622-B50E-C998FCF0BFD9.jpeg

B8D9F784-F8C2-4971-8667-16B4344C3558.jpeg

C40C7279-ED6D-4C72-A0AA-771DF9758813.jpeg

Last edited:
Putting two rudders on it was a huge mistake.  That makes it a non-starter in any light-wind venue - the extra drag will make it really hard to sail to its numbers and it’ll have zero feel.  And I agree that the two dwarf wheels look ridiculous.  They should rethink the whole back third.
you are right about the drag .... but two rudders keep the helmsman with the crowd instead of blocking him off in the back, you can sit outside and see the sails , its easy to get onto the boat ( as long as its parked backwards in the slip ) with like 13 feet wide? the single wheel would touch the boom, being ridiculous large 

no feel ? I call BS I have a jeanneau 379 and the feel at the helm is very light, very responsive and super direct. 

Yes I am coming from a 33 ft Tri with no wheel, which was also super responsive ....and yes my "cruiser" will never see 24 knots, and yes it needs a little more wind to get going, but thats because of small sails and 15000 lbs...   not because of the double rudders

Monkey

Super Anarchist
you are right about the drag .... but two rudders keep the helmsman with the crowd instead of blocking him off in the back, you can sit outside and see the sails , its easy to get onto the boat ( as long as its parked backwards in the slip ) with like 13 feet wide? the single wheel would touch the boom, being ridiculous large 

no feel ? I call BS I have a jeanneau 379 and the feel at the helm is very light, very responsive and super direct. 

Yes I am coming from a 33 ft Tri with no wheel, which was also super responsive ....and yes my "cruiser" will never see 24 knots, and yes it needs a little more wind to get going, but thats because of small sails and 15000 lbs...   not because of the double rudders
You’re confusing two rudders with two wheels. 

bissona

Muppet
Looks like they're trying to appeal to those that can't decide between a 3600 and something a little more cruisey.

Sincerely hope it'll rate under IRC or it can face the same limited sale pattern as the SS 24/27. Personally I love the SS24, and pretty much all of Sam M's designs, but I bought a 3600 as it's pointless racing (and impossible to sell) if it don't rate.

maxstaylock

Anarchist
Looking forward to this boat, Beneteau have been languishing in the performance gutter for too long, hopefully this will be a turnaround boat for them, I remember when First was a name to aspire to.  Any chance of epoxy construction?