New Beneteau First 36

rasher

The simple answer is not enough demand to make a good business case.  For every one sailboat sold in the US, a couple hundred powerboats sell.  You wanna make money, you gotta build what folk are buying.

Next comes the fact that most sailboat building took place along the coasts, esp in the NE and California.  Not trying to comment in any way on politics here, but most of those states are more left leaning, and more aggressive on environmental regulations that exceed the federal ones...

The bigger question is why is there not enough demand for sailboats (as power boats are not necessarily any cheaper)? And that's multi-faceted.  Less free time and income relative to cost of activity - though again, lots of big motor boats still sell, but storage is generally cheaper (trailer or boatel) compared to wet slips...

Racing has gotten more expensive and more competitive (ie. less family casual racer friendly).  courses require greater team work, etc.   And if your racing in the less casual family mode, an older PHRF boat does just fine...so why pay for a new boat?

US Sailing in general has marketed sailing as a "lifestyle" activity - see almost any sailboat ad.  Older guy, younger wife, glass of wine, 12knot breeze on a sunny day.  Baskets and flowers in the main cabin.  Furling this, and Furling that, and powered winches, and refrigeration and a/c, and full enclosures have sucked all the upwind performance out of most "cruising" boats anyway.  I think we'd be better off marketing sailing as an adventure sport that the whole family can participate in, like backpacking or skiing...but nobody is asking my opinion

Bottom line?  We're to spoiled here in the US to buy the equivalent of a Ranger 26 or C&C 27 anymore...go to a boat show and the smallest "real" boat will be 32 feet with a in mast furling mainsail, full galley, refrigeration, etc, etc, etc...

It's sad really...
I agree on all points. The way sailing is marketed in the US is IMO embarrassing and detrimental to the SPORT. Most people I know think of sailing as "yachting" and are not interested. But it's the videos of Melges 15s and Seascape 27s (for instance) that spark interest.

I have one memory that stands out as THE ONE that changed my future sailing plans:
My friends and I were anchored in Coral Bay St John on a charter Beneteau 48- nice, big, luxury cruiser with all the goodies and toys, and sailed like a dog. Next to us was a young couple (maybe early 30s) on a newish Elan E3 with a hailing port in Europe (I can't recall where) and no cruising crap. They hand hoisted the sails, pulled up the anchor, and SAILED out of the mooring field. The idea that a a couple younger than me could take a small fast boat across the Atlantic and enjoy cruising the Virgin Islands just as much (and maybe more than) me - it was a game changer.

This First 36 checks every box for me. I would love to take one with my race friends up to Bayfield Race Week, then load all the cruising crap back on for a week or two with non-sailing pals around the Apostle Islands, then maybe think about giving the Chi-Mac a try. This is the type of boat that is (almost) affordable and that will let me do everything I want with big-boat sailing.

If I had one or two partners as fired up as me, in a similar financial position (comfortable, not rich) and I'd order one today. Maybe next year if 2022 business is good.

as they say, if you make them love sailing, they will never have money for drugs...

IMG-32e15a552a59c9e748dbe31c1f3b458d-V.jpg IMG-a7c6909190d2132cdb5afd6d056ddd93-V.jpg

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal

canstead

Anarchist
So I had the pleasure of a test sail this weekend. My summary:

The designs and build quality of this boat is something else. Everything is coherent. The pictures don’t do justice to how simple and clean this boat is.

it’s big. You need to stop thinking this as a 36 and think of it as a short 40.

im trying to place it and it’s a strange one. It’s using top end race boat design and construction to create a cruising boat. It’s not really a race boat, although it’s definitely fast. There’s a full length toe rail, and the factory sails are panel cuts and frankly looked like a sack of spuds.

It was really nice to talk to a team so invested in what they’ve produced.

all in all a great boat.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
20220420_124920_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress.gif

So the first large magazine review is in, as far as I can see.

Rave review regarding sailing, as expected, planing from 8 knots in 12 knots wind, 4 knots speed in 5 knots wind, goes like a train, very easy to steer.

OK'ish regarding the rest (nice finish, lacking storage (for YACHT, there is almost never enough), engine a bit too noisy and the infamous tiny toilet are basically the remarks.

Calculated price is 317,000 € per their definition (ca. 343,000 USD), carbon mast another 33,000 €. That is enough for them to call it pricey, but mid-field when compared to other options.

A comparison to other 36ft yachts was announced, will come soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-sailor

PNW
View attachment 505889

Rave review regarding sailing, as expected, planing from 8 knots in 12 knots wind, 4 knots speed in 5 knots wind, goes like a train, very easy to steer.

OK'ish regarding the rest (nice finish, lacking storage (for YACHT, there is almost never enough), engine a bit too noisy and the infamous tiny toilet are basically the remarks.

Calculated price is 317,000 € per their definition (ca. 343,000 USD), carbon mast another 33,000 €. That is enough for them to call it pricey, but mid-field when compared to other options.

Only reason I work on my very limited German is to read/understand this mags/ video content info.  And I love when they get hug up on some quirky average detail and club the baby seal over and over again.  Regardless some of the better retail consumer facing sail content available.  

Movable Ballast

Anarchist
San Diego
View attachment 505889

That's a fair bit more than the price listed ($198,000 USD) in earlier publications. Is that all up? sails and electronics and such? 

canstead

Anarchist
Re the toilet: my wife sat on the loo, shoved her foot against the bottom of the bulkhead and braced as if mid ocean, then announced it as the perfect space.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
that's kind of the thing. they are supposed to be small enough to wedge yourself in.

speaking of, I wonder if they tested the sink at the boats normal degree of heel..

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
That's a fair bit more than the price listed ($198,000 USD) in earlier publications. Is that all up? sails and electronics and such? 
Always the way! It's safe to add at least 50% to most manufacturers' quoted prices when you include tax, transportation and a reasonable level of options.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Yeah, that's far more concerning to me than the fact it folds up.
Don't know about you guys, but who has ever trusted or tried to use the sink in the head underway while heeled?  Every boat I ever owned would slop/spill if you ran water into it when heeled.  That's what the sink in the galley is for :lol:

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
see? you're still thinking crude plastic boat. this is new shiny new boat. so what about that "engineered" sink. anybody who has been aboard a typical plastic 30ish' whatever understands exactly what you are talking about. but, for example, take the Dehler 34. has anyone but me witnessed that revolutionary disaster - a sliding sink in the head? that eventually just won't slide. just makes a big mess and, well. doesn't end well. from what I can tell.

PS: this is what happens when big B doesn't feed the animals enough fresh steak. they start beating baby seals..