New Beneteau First 36

freewheelin

Anarchist
WLIS
I dunno. On any boat under 40ft, you gotta give up a lot of space to get a separate shower stall. I’ve owned 2 boats with showers (35 & 31) and through 8 years, we never once used the shower in the head. Aft cockpit shower? Absolutely! But never the one in the head. Who wants all that moisture down below?

Wet locker on the other hand is well worth it!
We use a sunshower currently with our 30fter. Most days we run the hose down into the head and shower in the head. It offers easy privacy, and makes the experience much more pleasant in cooler/windier conditions. The head dries out surprisingly fast, and the soapy water gives the bilge a wash down and the boat a nice clean smell. On a 36fter, I would prefer a more elegant solution (in addition to the dual purpose wet locker).

Monkey

Super Anarchist
We use a sunshower currently with our 30fter. Most days we run the hose down into the head and shower in the head. It offers easy privacy, and makes the experience much more pleasant in cooler/windier conditions. The head dries out surprisingly fast, and the soapy water gives the bilge a wash down and the boat a nice clean smell. On a 36fter, I would prefer a more elegant solution (in addition to the dual purpose wet locker).
What kind of boat though? I think we all understand the 36 is a race boat with rating accommodations.

Bill E Goat

Super Anarchist
Sydney
A topping lift satisfies that requirement. Nothing about rigid vang.
That it does but they are a pain as you need 2 sheaves at the top of the mast (I presume the standard mast has only 1 sheave), another hole at the bottom, turning block, cleat/jammer as well as the weight and windage of the rope. Rigid vang is easier.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
T/l doesn't have to go down spar. Many boats use a line fixed to masthead crane, down to block just above boom, (2:1) line led inside boom forwards to cleat.
Rigid vangs can leave boom bouncing at anchor, making squeaking noises. T/l prevents that. Many will just take main halyard back to boom end to serve.

10thTonner

Hazard to Navigation
South of Spandau
T/l doesn't have to go down spar. Many boats use a line fixed to masthead crane, down to block just above boom, (2:1) line led inside boom forwards to cleat.
Rigid vangs can leave boom bouncing at anchor, making squeaking noises. T/l prevents that. Many will just take main halyard back to boom end to serve.
^This. My slim 34 footer has a rigid vang with a boingy spring in it. It keeps the boom from crashing into the cockpit but it still sits quite low. At anchor or in the slip, I therefore use the main halyard to pull up the boom fairly high so I have lots of headroom in the cockpit.

jerseyguy

Super Anarchist
^This. My slim 34 footer has a rigid vang with a boingy spring in it. It keeps the boom from crashing into the cockpit but it still sits quite low. At anchor or in the slip, I therefore use the main halyard to pull up the boom fairly high so I have lots of headroom in the cockpit.
Did the same thing. I replaced the rope/block and tackle vang that came with the boat with a Hall Quik-Vang. But kept the original topping lift to keep the boom from smacking heads during party time.

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Mine is the same and I use the main halyard in the same way. I do wonder why the vang cannot be set higher than it is, does anyone know? I get that you don't want to break the boom if someone gets crazy with the mainsheet but the leech of the main stops it probably 18"-24" above where the vang stops it now.

10thTonner

Hazard to Navigation
South of Spandau
Mine is the same and I use the main halyard in the same way. I do wonder why the vang cannot be set higher than it is, does anyone know? I get that you don't want to break the boom if someone gets crazy with the mainsheet but the leech of the main stops it probably 18"-24" above where the vang stops it now.
For working on the sail (furling, reefing, fiddling with the battens, putting on a sail cover) I find it rather convenient to have the boom sitting low-ish on the vang. I just use the halyard to get it out of the way permanently.

I did not want to say the First 36 is a bad boat, Kristian.
It is probably a great product.

I just thought it will have probably have a hard time in the area where I am sailing (Western Baltic).
It is not a coincidence that the boat was tested by the german "Yacht" magazine against classically styled CRs.
That is what DINKS (double income no kids) and many others here like.

There are only a few men of maybe 50 years up dreaming of adventure before it's too late.
I know - I am one of them. ;)
Those with enough money buy boats like Dehler 30od, JPK or Sun Fasts.
I could be totally wrong of course.

In a way we should be the target customers for the First 36.
But we are not.

Holger

Sounds legit, after all, as a customer, you are always looking to find the right product for your own needs. As said before many times, it was a compromise based on a market research and having a Beneau insight of what their typical customer wants we ended up with the layout we have.

DingDong

UK
It has been a long wait but Santa has finally arrived - we must have been very good...

Many, many thanks to all of the Seascape boys and girls for a fantastic build.

Quality and attention to detail are quite simply superb.

d6c49483-248e-45e0-a814-ed6a1f955ac9.JPG

IMG_6853.jpg