New Beneteau First 36

42 South

Anarchist
But 14,100 lbs?? That's 1k over my old 36.7, a boat that would not plane if you sailed it off the edge of the earth.
13,452lbs (6102kg) and IRC 1.029 SPA 108m2.

IMG_4517.JPG

We regularly spar with a J112E and have done pretty well - have options of both sym and asym kites, but it runs really deep with the sym kites. The J is pretty much a copy except for the narrower stern:-

01-lead-j112e_1jml0068.jpg

This type is design is raced all over Europe.  The recent ORC world's is proof.
Absolute hogwash.

Look at the results.  None of the top 6 look even remotely like this.  The dufour 40 maybe, if you squint hard enough.  And do any of the entrants have two rudders?  Maybe one or two out of 62 boats in class c but none of the real protagonists.

https://data.orc.org/public/WEV.dll?action=series&eventid=WORLD21&classid=C

There are similar designs racing in the doublehanded/distance races and that is certainly booming with interest.  But the ORC worlds?  No.

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
UT
Absolute hogwash.

Look at the results.  None of the top 6 look even remotely like this.  The dufour 40 maybe, if you squint hard enough.  And do any of the entrants have two rudders?  Maybe one or two out of 62 boats in class c but none of the real protagonists.

https://data.orc.org/public/WEV.dll?action=series&eventid=WORLD21&classid=C

There are similar designs racing in the doublehanded/distance races and that is certainly booming with interest.  But the ORC worlds?  No.
Huh?

The top 6 are J/112's Italia 11.98's and First 36.7!  ALL production racer/cruisers.  Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh?

The top 6 are J/112's Italia 11.98's and First 36.7!  ALL production racer/cruisers.  Am I missing something?
Yes.  This boat is fundamentally different to all of those.  The lines, especially in the stern do not lend themselves to inshore buoy racing.  Power reaching yes, but 3 of 4 days of ORC worlds was buoy racing.  As said above by others, this is much more of a comfy SF3600 and will never touch a J/112 or an Italia on a short windward/leeward course.  I am not disputing that they will sell, but they won’t sell to people looking at an inshore ORC campaign.   

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
I’m so glad there’s a community of yacht designers on SA that can tell me if a boat is a shitter just from 2 renders 

Wright Way

The only place a Beneteau is ever going to be competitive is in a one design race against its sisters.

Built to a price everytime.

Take all the money that goes on marketing, there isn't much left to build a racer.

Build it heavy, much easier than engineering a strong design.

Make it comfortable and keep the speed down so it doesn't get too wet or shake you up too much.

Keep the keel fairly short, Bene owners seem to hit the bottom quite a lot.

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
UT
The only place a Beneteau is ever going to be competitive is in a one design race against its sisters.

Take all the money that goes on marketing, there isn't much left to build a racer.

Make it comfortable and keep the speed down so it doesn't get too wet or shake you up too much.

You know Beneteau's have won Sydney Hobart, right?

Why no pictures of the leak around the prop shaft “fixed” with an entire tube of Sikaflex and a spatula?  I mean, that’s a standard on all new Bene’s, right?
For the sake of the early owners of the First 36 I really hope lessons have been learnt from the introduction of the First 27 to the market.  Please get it really sorted including accurate assembly instructions and a manifest of all the parts before sending an edition to a customer's appointed Beneteau agent. 

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh

I don't like Benes that much either (at all, to be honest...), but that statment is not right.

In fact, the Bene 36.7 won its class in the ORC / IMS Worlds in 2003 and still managed to get a podium place in the 2021 Worlds just weeks ago:

E9VDsjLX0AczUT7.jpg

I think there are currently few cruiser / racer designs that offers this kind of results over such a long lifespan (maybe the Dehler 33).

Jackdaw

Super Anarchist
I don't like Benes that much either (at all, to be honest...), but that statment is not right.

In fact, the Bene 36.7 won its class in the ORC / IMS Worlds in 2003 and still managed to get a podium place in the 2021 Worlds just weeks ago:

I think there are currently few cruiser / racer designs that offers this kind of results over such a long lifespan (maybe the Dehler 33).

Indeed. In breeze with a non-overlapping headsail, the 367 goes to wind like a witch. I think it was two years back, in a breezy mostly upwind Chi-Mac; IIRC over half of the top-10 in ORC were 367s.

neuronz

Anarchist
europe

Only that this one is far from stock with regular updates from Farr etc.

neuronz

Anarchist
europe
Whereas anybody else at that level sails their boat like it came 'off-the-shelf'?

There is nothing wrong with some good old 'Kampfwertsteigerung' of your platform. It's still the 'platform'.
I do not have any issue with anyone updating their boat. However, we are not talking a little TLC here. My point is that it probably would not have placed so far forward if it would not have gotten a new keel and bulb etc. since the original argument was that the boat seems to have a long competitive life span.

maxstaylock

Anarchist

What is going on with the upper guardrail?  Is that where you put the lead?

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
What is going on with the upper guardrail?  Is that where you put the lead?
Yeah, I saw that too. Best guess is anti- chafe upwind or on a drop, maybe to get the sail skirted or help get the spin aboard more easily? Something like that.