New Beneteau First 36

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Yes, but you only get half-credit!  On the plus side, your IRC rating will get better...
Hadn’t thought of that. We’re only rated for PHRF and ORC though. We’ll avoid running aground until IRC catches on around here. 

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
A gloriously, gloriously cunty reply - I sail an F40 double handed - love the big BOI telling us that Bene sailers can’t navigate! We aren’t winners but we love sailing. Sailing partner and I looking into an F36 but I now bow to your incomparable knowledge - such a near escape!!
Hey, relax!  I am sure that everyone is very pleased for you that your Bendytoy is one of those where the keel hasn't fallen off .... yet.

G

Personally I am so excited at this breakthrough design, in a sea of white production boats its stands out in the crowd. Any true sailing connoisseur will recognise it from a great distance.

HypnoToad

Anarchist
I for one applaud all the designers who make it their aim to allow more circus bears enjoy our sport.

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Does this really fill any kind of niche in the market? What box does this tick that a J99 or J111, or a 3300 or 3600 doesn't?  
I don't know much about the 3300 or 3600, but I moved from a 36.7 to a J/111. My guess would be that the answer to your question would be in how well this boat sails and how fast it is as a more cruisy racer. The 36.7 was 13,000+ pounds, and was fairly comfortable but the ginormous wheel and raised traveler made getting around the helm and cockpit difficult. The bunks below got too narrow at the forward half. It was too tender for both short handed cruising and ocean racing with a SI of about 112. And of course, overlapping headsails and sym spinns. It has some plusses, like the huge port quarter berth, but overall I think it cruises okay and races just okay, although it can be made to race well. It did win N2B one year and other big stuff.

The J/111, well there is nothing cruisy about it. I found that I was not cruising much and wanted asyms, non-overlapping headsails, a bigger cockpit and more speed / fun yet I do sometimes miss some of the comfort. If this boat can approach the performance of a J/111 but make the boat easier to sail as a shorthanded cruiser and more comfortable racer, they might have a winner. Hopefully it will tick the boxes to qualify as an ocean racer (things like the toe rail, stability, pulpit dimensions, all that kind of stuff). Also I think Benes tend to be more affordable than other boats, at least on initial purchase.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents, some details that needs to be taken into account. Beneteau put the 36 project in hibernation in 2019 after they realized they cannot make make it performant and lucrative enough to pass the corporate decision gate.  Fast forward to 2021... after the powers to be decided that Seascape must leave the Group, 36 project was part of divorce settlement. Seascape was allowed to do what it can to make it ... simpler, lighter, more ergonomic, while Beneteau was and still is helping with its accum,ulated expertise, from purhcase chain to hard earned lessons regarding safety. It is no surprise that they have some very strict rules regarding the keel attachment due to the past experiences.
Structure of the boat was completely redesigned by PURE Team New Zealand (Giovanni Belgrano & Co), with emphasis on making it lighter, simpler and less ... volume production adapted.  We took quite some effort to remove redundant parts and structure, limit the number of options and do whatever can be done in this limited time period to make the boat lighter. For a modern planning boat, I firmly believe that making a stiff an light boat is the key to performance.
Where will this take us? I hope we will be able to make a boat that looks classic but has a distinct wow factor once you have a chance to sail it. After all, a while ago, Scot wrote on these pages "bent over and from behind , they all look the same..."

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
I’m so glad there’s a community of yacht designers on SA that can tell me if a boat is a shitter just from 2 renders 
As evidence read the first page of the J/111 thread in J/Boat Anarchy.  To say the peanut gallery nailed it would be an understatement.  Oh, wait... Except they missed on the performance and sales.  Does anything else matter?  

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Gents, some details that needs to be taken into account. Beneteau put the 36 project in hibernation in 2019 after they realized they cannot make make it performant and lucrative enough to pass the corporate decision gate.  Fast forward to 2021... after the powers to be decided that Seascape must leave the Group, 36 project was part of divorce settlement. Seascape was allowed to do what it can to make it ... simpler, lighter, more ergonomic, while Beneteau was and still is helping with its accum,ulated expertise, from purhcase chain to hard earned lessons regarding safety. It is no surprise that they have some very strict rules regarding the keel attachment due to the past experiences.
Structure of the boat was completely redesigned by PURE Team New Zealand (Giovanni Belgrano & Co), with emphasis on making it lighter, simpler and less ... volume production adapted.  We took quite some effort to remove redundant parts and structure, limit the number of options and do whatever can be done in this limited time period to make the boat lighter. For a modern planning boat, I firmly believe that making a stiff an light boat is the key to performance.
Where will this take us? I hope we will be able to make a boat that looks classic but has a distinct wow factor once you have a chance to sail it. After all, a while ago, Scot wrote on these pages "bent over and from behind , they all look the same..."
Might sound like a basic question but are you happy with how the boat has turned out? I was fortunate to take a Seascape/First 24se out sailing a couple of times and it made me want one badly, even if half the feeling of the 24 has transferred to the 36 I would probably love it too

oioi

Super Anarchist
Hi Kristian

Have seascape and beneteau parted company? You talk about a divorce? Are there going to be new seascapes? I remember being in your offices outside Ljubljana looking at some of the prep work for this boat back in 2018. All the plans for what you saw as the competition were on the walls. 

Good luck with what you do next. 

freewheelin

Anarchist
WLIS
The only place a Beneteau is ever going to be competitive is in a one design race against its sisters.
Our little Bene did pretty well against these big budget boats in the Around Long Island Regatta. 2nd in the spinnaker fleet, and our keel stayed on the whole time image.png

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
So, I ran this through my de-jargonification software (its still in beta though, so expect flaws :)

"Beneteau put the 36 project in hibernation in 2019 after they realized they cannot make make it performant and lucrative enough to pass the corporate decision gate."

• corporate suits couldn't dumb it down enough to be profitable.

"Fast forward to 2021... after the powers to be decided that Seascape must leave the Group, 36 project was part of divorce settlement."

• same set of suits couldn't dumb down Seascape enough to be profitable. 

"Seascape was allowed to do what it can to make it ... simpler, lighter, more ergonomic, while Beneteau was and still is helping with its accum,ulated expertise, from purhcase chain to hard earned lessons regarding safety. It is no surprise that they have some very strict rules regarding the keel attachment due to the past experiences."

• some of the suits still sail though, so not completely abandoning the cool kids at Seascape.

"Structure of the boat was completely redesigned by PURE Team New Zealand (Giovanni Belgrano & Co), with emphasis on making it lighter, simpler and less ... volume production adapted."

• better than a B boat, but yes more expensive.

"We took quite some effort to remove redundant parts and structure, limit the number of options and do whatever can be done in this limited time period to make the boat lighter."

• the suits are cutting us loose in just a few months, so we gotta act quick.

"For a modern planning boat, I firmly believe that making a stiff an light boat is the key to performance. Where will this take us? I hope we will be able to make a boat that looks classic but has a distinct wow factor once you have a chance to sail it."

• after all, we all like to sail.

"After all, a while ago, Scot wrote on these pages "bent over and from behind , they all look the same...""

• umm. buy an ad?

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
... 2nd in the spinnaker fleet, and our keel stayed on the whole time
I would think that would be a big advantage, although if you have a symmetric boat and point the bow at the downwind mark, especially if you're on the last leg, wouldn't dropping the keel be a big help? I'm told they can make a lot of drag. 

freewheelin

Anarchist
WLIS
I would think that would be a big advantage, although if you have a symmetric boat and point the bow at the downwind mark, especially if you're on the last leg, wouldn't dropping the keel be a big help? I'm told they can make a lot of drag. 
I suppose it depends on the length of the downwind leg. The reduction in drag would need to offset the added displacement from the water gushing in the giant hole in the bottom!