New Beneteau First 36

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Our little Bene did pretty well against these big budget boats in the Around Long Island Regatta. 2nd in the spinnaker fleet, and our keel stayed on the whole time View attachment 466859
Way to go freewheelin!  It was obviously a slow boats race.  What happened?  I assuming the breeze picked up after the big guys finished?  Or did the wind let you guys hit the tide gates on the flood, while the big guys hit the ebb?  None the less, well done!

Crash

freewheelin

Anarchist
WLIS
Way to go freewheelin!  It was obviously a slow boats race.  What happened?  I assuming the breeze picked up after the big guys finished?  Or did the wind let you guys hit the tide gates on the flood, while the big guys hit the ebb?  None the less, well done!

Crash
Thanks Crash! It was a really a combination of everything that made for a super lucky race for us. The wind was up from the start and stayed up the whole time. The first day/night was in the high 20's, gusting to low 40s. The rest of the race stayed mostly around 18-20 if I remember. Since the scoring was time over distance, a fast favored the slower boats I think.

The other lucky component I think was that the wind clocked from the south, to west, to north. So the super fast boats rounding Montauk first probably had to deal with some amount of wind on their nose, while it was still on our tail.

In a multi-day race, it is hard to say what was happening on the other boats. But that was what we saw onboard. We thought we were battling our division - never once thought we were doing well in the fleet. It was wet, and wild, and cold, and fun!

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum

DingDong

UK
So, Bene’s numbers are - 4,800 kg and SA/D upwind 29, downwind 65. No trial IRC Cert available as yet.

Optimised for double handed. 

Not too shabby for a dual purpose boat?

DingDong

UK
It certainly hits the spot for me. Looks pretty light weight considering the interior fit out - I guess that’s down to manufacturing improvements since the First 36.7?

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
Let's remember that most cruiser races don't weigh in to their numbers...

Let's wait and see, we'll have some idea of they bothered to put it together properly then as well.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
It certainly hits the spot for me. Looks pretty light weight considering the interior fit out - I guess that’s down to manufacturing improvements since the First 36.7?
my understanding is yes. different boat yard. I guess the challenge is cost of manufacture vs. quality of build (weight and stiffness). 

and another tradeoff - sail area vs. shorthanded sailing. This one seems to go big on sail area. and overall a cooler boat than I had expected. Who doesn't like to plane early.

just curious why no option for a tiller?

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
Let's remember that most cruiser races don't weigh in to their numbers...

Let's wait and see, we'll have some idea of they bothered to put it together properly then as well.
The light number will probably be half load in race configuration. Even so, their statement that "To be specific, even the standard version of First 36 will fully plane in a moderate breeze." is pretty bold & encouraging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
She's still heavy, a 40 year old Express 37 is the same displacement, but the express actually carries a higher % in the keel. 

Now, I would expect the more modern shape will be faster off the breeze, which is cool, but, it ain't light...

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
The light number will probably be half load in race configuration. Even so, their statement issued by the clueless twat in marketing that "To be specific, even the standard version of First 36 will fully plane in a moderate breeze." is pretty bold & encouraging.
Fixed ya

Should be a good boat But  from my experience I suggest interested buyers wait a period before buying one to allow Seascape time to sort out the boat. It's a lot more complex than the 27 and my early 27 has many problems and significant issues. Not all these have not been sorted 6 months after delivery including a major water leak.. Let alone any repayment for undelivered items or compensation for delivering a faulty boat.  I should not have bought one of the early ones and really regret being a first mover. Dumb move. Wait. 

First 27 is a great sailboat in principle though... 

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
that clueless twat would be me, current CTO at Seascape. If this boat performs as planned it will be team effort & success but if the boat will under deliver or fail in whatever other way, there will be my balls hanging from the flagpole at the entrance to the yard.

Well let's hope it all turns out nicely then.

Built to a quality not present in some other new bendys in threads around here while still down to design weight.

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
that clueless twat would be me, current CTO at Seascape. If this boat performs as planned it will be team effort & success but if the boat will under deliver or fail in whatever other way, there will be my balls hanging from the flagpole at the entrance to the yard.

IF ???  And I would point out, if it's going to be your balls hanging from the flagpole, Kristian, well, it would seem you don't have much to lose then. 

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
The seascape has a lot more sail area, more draft, more beam, and less ballast than the 10 year old (now) sunfast 3600. So, a more aggressive boat it seems - and definitely a cruisier interior as well. But just to keep it honest, tossed in the Pogo 36 specs as well..

Sunfast 3600:

Length overall: 11.25 m / 36'11"
Hull length: 10.8 m / 35'5"
Hull Beam: 3.55 m / 11'8"
Displacement: 4950 kg / 10913 Lbs
Standard keel draught : 2.13 m / 6'12"
Ballast: 2000 kg / 4409 lb
Upwind sail area: 69.8 m² / 751 ft²
Downwind sail area: 136.8 m² / 1473 ft²

Seascape 36:

Hull length: 11,00 m / 36’ 1”
Beam: 3,80 m / 12’ 6”
Preliminary displacement (MLC): 4800 kg / 10580 lbs
Draft standard keel: 2,25 m / 7’ 4,6”
Ballast: 1550 kg / 3420 lbs
Upwind sail area: 80 m2 / 860 sq. ft
Downwind sail area: 180 m2 / 1930 sq. ft
Retail recommended ex-works price: EUR 198.000 ex VAT

Pogo 36:

LOA: 35.63 ft / 10.86 m
LWL: 35.63 ft / 10.86 m
Beam: 13.12 ft / 4.00 m
Draft (max): 9.68 ft / 2.95 m
Draft (min): 3.87 ft / 1.18 m
Displacement: 8,377 lb / 3,800 kg
Ballast: 2,400 lb / 1,089 kg
S.A. (reported): 796.00 ft2 / 73.95 m2

3600:

b8734c935cdf8c07caa57cf3f58ae58c.jpg

Seascape:

Interiorlayout2-4000x2199.jpg

Pogo 36:
Pogo-36-interior.2706.jpg

nogetwe

So the new Beneteau First 36 will be build by Seascape, but Seascape will no longer be owned by Beneteau?