New Boat Day - Frers 31

pjwalsh

I just became the owner of a new to me sailboat! It is a Frers & Cibils 31' built in Argentina in 1974, designed by German Frers Sr. It is definitely an IOR design - has a fin keel, skeg hung rudder, slight bustle and moderate tumble home. The stern and bow don't have the pinched shape of later IOR designs, really a pretty hull.

It is a project boat but I was very impressed by the rugged build of the hull and deck as well as the quality of the interior - definitely not a production boat. I am not really sure what IOR class this boat was intended for. Maybe it was a 3/4 Tonner? but most of those were 33', seems too heavy to be a 1/2 tonner. Any insight from those of us more familiar with IOR boats?
Stern Piranha.jpg

Piranha 1.jpg
Starboard Piranha.jpg
Front looking aft.jpg

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Nice. I like the keel, should go upwind. Tiller steered, which is fun. Bridge deck in the cockpit, so good for open water.
I can't help you with the IOR/Tonner thing.

What kind of mast/rig? How many spreaders? Telephone pole or noodley IOR thing with many spreaders and stays?

pjwalsh

It is a single spreader masthead sloop. Pretty heavy section - closer to telephone pole than noodle... looks like it is set up for a symmetrical spinnaker.

steele

Super Anarchist
Land of the locks
I don't much about early IOR boats, but this one seems to have some MORC characteristics as well. The hull profile and shape of the stern, rudder, and keel resemble S&S boats like the S&S 30, Tartan 30 and Yankee 30. Those boats also had very sturdy mast head rigs. I think the S&S may have had some tumblehome. The design is later than MORC and it's too long, so perhaps a mash up of the evolving rules of the time?

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
So it's "racy" for its day. What are the accommodations like? Are you planning to race or cruise or a little of both?

pjwalsh

So it's "racy" for its day. What are the accommodations like? Are you planning to race or cruise or a little of both?
I am thinking mainly coastal cruising. But, if the boat is fast and I can find 4 people interested in racing I'd go for it! First step is getting her put back together.

pjwalsh

I am thinking mainly coastal cruising. But, if the boat is fast and I can find 4 people interested in racing I'd go for it! First step is getting her put back together.
Accommodation is pretty standard. Nav station and quarter berth to starboard, galley on port. Main salon has two settees and two pilot berths with a folding table in the middle. The head and a hanging locker port and starboard. Then a v-berth fwd.

pjwalsh

I don't much about early IOR boats, but this one seems to have some MORC characteristics as well. The hull profile and shape of the stern, rudder, and keel resemble S&S boats like the S&S 30, Tartan 30 and Yankee 30. Those boats also had very sturdy mast head rigs. I think the S&S may have had some tumblehome. The design is later than MORC and it's too long, so perhaps a mash up of the evolving rules of the time?
It does have a strong resemblance to those three MORC boats. I am leaning toward early IOR 3/4 Tonner since the build date and first 3/4 ton cup was in 1974.

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
It does have a strong resemblance to those three MORC boats. I am leaning toward early IOR 3/4 Tonner since the build date and first 3/4 ton cup was in 1974.
Probably too small to be a 3/4 ton. Those were in the 33 to 35' range if I am thinking correctly. My Dehler 34 is based on a 3/4 ton. C&C 33 based on a 3/4 ton. Nice, "wholesome" looking boat!

plenamar

Buenos Aires
I am familiar with the F&C 31. Many here in Buenos Aires. Very good boats. Some (slight) oilcanning in chainplate area on some. Photo 3 looks strange to me for a F&C, probably distorted.

How much did you pay for this boat? Most came with Volvo engine.

pjwalsh

I am familiar with the F&C 31. Many here in Buenos Aires. Very good boats. Some (slight) oilcanning in chainplate area on some. Photo 3 looks strange to me for a F&C, probably distorted.

How much did you pay for this boat? Most came with Volvo engine.
Plenamar, I am so glad you saw this! the boat is a lovely shape. I know very little about the origins of this boat though - can you share any context or history with me? How are they used in Beunos Aires? Do you know if they were built to the Internationsl Offshore Rule or for local conditions in Argentina?

On distortion around the chainplates I don't think that is an issue with this boat - it appears very sound from a structural point of view. I will look carefully at the chainplates and their anchors in the spring when I get the cover off - they are located a bit aft of the main bulkhead so deflection might well be an issue. The boat came at a good price mostly because it needs a thorough refit in rig, systems, and paint. The engine is a Volvo but it is a lot newer than the boat.

pjwalsh

F&C 31. Today, Club Nautico Sud Este. San Isidro, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

View attachment 538700

View attachment 538701

Probably too small to be a 3/4 ton. Those were in the 33 to 35' range if I am thinking correctly. My Dehler 34 is based on a 3/4 ton. C&C 33 based on a 3/4 ton. Nice, "wholesome" looking boat!
Yes, it does seem a little short for a 3/4 ton. But it also is too long for a 1/2 ton class. I mostly bought it because the hull and decks are very robustly made and I think it has a
nice shape. Maybe Plenamar can fill us in.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Early IOR Tonners were smaller than they later became as the designers got used to the rule.

I remember 1/2 Tonners as short as 27' and One Tonners as short as 34' in the early days.

plenamar

Buenos Aires
As I understand 1/2 tonners were 30 ft. E.g. Dufour Arpege. Displacement aprox 3400 kgs.

The F&C is marginally bigger (31 vs 30 ft). Displacement I imagine some 4000 kgs. Very nice boats, a lot of tumblehome.

The F&C was a world-class boatyard in the 1970s, also produced the superb F&C 44 ketch. See link below.

Maybe José Frers (broker in BA) can give further details. He is the brother of German Frers, the F&C 31 designer.,

link: