New Boat Day - Frers 31

pjwalsh

As I understand 1/2 tonners were 30 ft. E.g. Dufour Arpege. Displacement aprox 3400 kgs.

The F&C is marginally bigger (31 vs 30 ft). Displacement I imagine some 4000 kgs. Very nice boats, a lot of tumblehome.

The F&C was a world-class boatyard in the 1970s, also produced the superb F&C 44 ketch. See link below.

Maybe José Frers (broker in BA) can give further details. He is the brother of German Frers, the F&C 31 designer.,

link:

Thanks for that connection Plenamar, I will send Jose a note.

The tumble home is good looking and the transom is very nicely proportioned - not pinched in like later 70's IOR designs. One thing that is really distinctive on this hull is the dead rise in the midsection. The photo you shared is beautiful- my boat needs some work to look that good...

pjwalsh

I have some updates on the Frers 31'. Had the boat moved to a yard in Rockland Maine this week and too possession of the sails and other gear that had been stored separately ftom the boat. The sail bags are labeled as "Frers 1/2 Ton". I also had a response from Jose Frers - thanks plenamar for the suggestion. Jose said that F&C built about 50 of these 31 footers but ceased operations in 1993. Jose owned one himself for a while. He indicated there should be a hull number molded into the boat in a specific location but I could not find one.

I have German Frers contact info and have written him to see if I can get any drawings or specifications. I will keep you posted.

On closer inspection of the bottom I believe there has been about 6" of lead added to the bottom of the keel bringing the draft to 6 feet. The thru hulls and seacocks are very interesting. They are bronze, have a tapered plug that closes the hole by pushing a T handle up and down the same axis as the thru-hull hole. The seacock is held in place by a wire bail with a figure 8 that captures the T handle. Has anyone had experience with these? They look rugged bit I am wondering if I should replace them with something more conventional.

pjwalsh

Found another Frers & Cibils 31 for sale in Argentina - this one is a 1980, looks to be a little different in the interior than my boat but basically the same song. check out the tumble home midships!

accnick

Super Anarchist
I don't much about early IOR boats, but this one seems to have some MORC characteristics as well. The hull profile and shape of the stern, rudder, and keel resemble S&S boats like the S&S 30, Tartan 30 and Yankee 30. Those boats also had very sturdy mast head rigs. I think the S&S may have had some tumblehome. The design is later than MORC and it's too long, so perhaps a mash up of the evolving rules of the time?
Remember, like a lot of other yacht designers who later went out on their own, German Frers worked for S&S at one time.

accnick

Super Anarchist
As I understand 1/2 tonners were 30 ft. E.g. Dufour Arpege. Displacement aprox 3400 kgs.

The F&C is marginally bigger (31 vs 30 ft). Displacement I imagine some 4000 kgs. Very nice boats, a lot of tumblehome.

The F&C was a world-class boatyard in the 1970s, also produced the superb F&C 44 ketch. See link below.

Maybe José Frers (broker in BA) can give further details. He is the brother of German Frers, the F&C 31 designer.,

link:

I sailed on an F&C 44 ketch for several years, including a race to Bermuda in 1989. Nicely designed and built boat, although the relatively short rig meant that many were rated for a 170% genoa, which was not well-suited for going upwind.

I built a whisker pole for that big genoa, which consisted of two Pearson 40 poles sleeved end-to-end, so about 34' long. Worked great until it broke in the middle. Worked better when it got about 4' shorter after that, but you had to roll up some headsail.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

accnick

Super Anarchist
Found another Frers & Cibils 31 for sale in Argentina - this one is a 1980, looks to be a little different in the interior than my boat but basically the same song. check out the tumble home midships!
That is a sweet little boat, for sure.

Latest posts