New boat for solo/double for inshore, Vic-Maui, Transpac and cruising

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
How is the FB35 a shorthanded boat for a man in his late 50s? The review of the FB35 (and possibly others) data sheets, posted photos and videos in this thread deviate and are disconnected from the Wetdream's stated OP objective. Our 1D35 needs 4 for beer canning and 6 for ocean racing to sail to our rate. Yeah, the boat goes but with crew - not something one would recommend to compete shorthanded for a man or 2 reaching middle age despite their level of fitness.

As you wait for your new ideal boat to be build this C&C 30 would be a fun shorthanded boat and it sits on a trailer. https://sailinganarchy.com/advert/cc-30-one-design-2016-plus-trailer/

Last edited:

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
I think the J/111 is a great boat for going to Hawaii, just not doublehanded. We got lucky with a mild year for most of the race, but we hand-steered the last 3.5 days. 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. The issue, which is probably totally obvious, is that you can't steer and trim at the same time since the wheel and winches are too far apart. Then the 111 is a pretty narrow boat, so it rolls a fair bit reaching across the swells which means a kite collapse is going to happen regularly if you are only driving. We got really good at refilling the kite with some aggressive, well-timed steering, but we weren't always successful. Really not a huge deal, but that would have gotten really old if we had 18+ for 6 or 7 days instead of just 3. The other J/111 that raced fully crewed had a great experience and are looking forward to going again. In their case, I think they would have been better off with a windier year with more VMG running. They had days of reaching in a class where they were one of the smallest boats and just got waterlined. The first 4 boats in their class were 43' or longer, they were 5th, and ahead of all of the boats under 43'.
How much of the autopilot inadequacy/kite collapse/bang was that cross-swell from the south? It was tossing us around quite a bit - but always having at least 2 on deck meant we could banjo the kite every time the ass end got pushed around and we surfed a bit....

dreamingwet

How much of the autopilot inadequacy/kite collapse/bang was that cross-swell from the south? It was tossing us around quite a bit - but always having at least 2 on deck meant we could banjo the kite every time the ass end got pushed around and we surfed a bit....
+ @Roleur what pilot do you have in the 111?

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
We have an NKE autopilot, but yes, the cross-swells from the hurricane made things very tough the last day, even before that, the previous 2 days we were hand-steering with the breeze mostly over 18 knots. The waves were never great. No long rollers. I think it would be a lot to ask any autopilot to be able to do 250nm days on a J/111 unless the conditions were perfect. Presumably a boat with a wider stern and dual rudders would have an easier time, but I don't have the experience to know that for sure.

dreamingwet

Fast is wet , you must know that ? You will have to get an open 40 if you want to stay dry and go fast while you wait for your JPK
:) fast is wet, I think we all know that.
I was just observing that the boat appears to be pushing through what appear to be the small waves instead of skipping over and not questioning how good the boat is, just curious if she was designed for inshore/coastal races or with offshore in mind.

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
:) fast is wet, I think we all know that.
I was just observing that the boat appears to be pushing through what appear to be the small waves instead of skipping over and not questioning how good the boat is, just curious if she was designed for inshore/coastal races or with offshore in mind.
I really recommend you take a look at the Facebook page of manifests previous owners in Australia . It’s basically a very detailed history of the boat from new .

there are several years of race results from some pretty long coastal races in south Australia and tons of info on mods etc . You will have to scroll down the page to get past the recent posts on their new boat .

dreamingwet

I really recommend you take a look at the Facebook page of manifests previous owners in Australia . It’s basically a very detailed history of the boat from new .

there are several years of race results from some pretty long coastal races in south Australia and tons of info on mods etc . You will have to scroll down the page to get past the recent posts on their new boat .

Thanks!