New boat for solo/double for inshore, Vic-Maui, Transpac and cruising

Jono

Super Anarchist
Blink is a great concept. A full on racer that could also be cruised and long distance raced in comfort. If I remember rightly things like an anchor winch were set up to be put on or off as needed. The couple who commissioned it had gone up from a Young 11 so clearly liked speed and light displacement. The only thing they missed was it failed stability for the Hobart - just like a Pogo.

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Blink is a great concept. A full on racer that could also be cruised and long distance raced in comfort. If I remember rightly things like an anchor winch were set up to be put on or off as needed. The couple who commissioned it had gone up from a Young 11 so clearly liked speed and light displacement. The only thing they missed was it failed stability for the Hobart - just like a Pogo.
Didn’t realise it was still for sale . I think they sorted the stability issue but it was too late to go

this from their blog …

The first 12m offshore race boat designed by Rob Shaw, build by Craig Partridge Yachts.

Design Objective: to maximise the performance potential of a 12m offshore monohull, with the capacity to sleep a full crew and with a usable interior. This is a versatile boat, set up for high performance racing either short-handed or fully crewed, both harbour and offshore. Blink is built with racing in the infamous Cook Strait in mind, with robust construction and systems, foam core, and options chosen with the wisdom that 'to win you must first finish' in mind: twin rudders, twin hydraulic rams, and dual hydraulic keel power sources (electric and engine pumps).

These numbers are from before the extra 90kg added to bulb in 2019

Length: 12m / Sailing Displ: 4.1T (8 crew) / Empty Displ 3.6T / Draft: 3m / Keel Cant Angle: 50° / RM (max): 7,687 kg/m / Mast: 19.8m
Fixed prod: 1m / Retractable prod: 2.5m / SA up: 110m2, down: 268m2

Last edited:

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
Interesting - How is this one 2013 model a shorthanded racer/cruiser? All the photos and video show it fully crewed and with a spartan interior.

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Interesting - How is this one 2013 model a shorthanded racer/cruiser? All the photos and video show it fully crewed and with a spartan interior.
the Keel cants and I guess you would set it up accordingly for shorthanding like most other short handed boats .

for a boat that fast the interior is actually pretty plush

video from the Round North island 2 handed race which is quite tough and usually takes about 2 weeks .

Last edited:

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
the Keel cants and I guess you would set it up accordingly for shorthanding like most other short handed boats .

for a boat that fast the interior is actually pretty plush
Wishful thinking?

if you have photos, videos and accounts of the boat being raced successfully shorthanded or cruised by a middle aged man and wife - I would love to see that.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
How would it be harder to DH than a Class 40? You keep mentioning middle-aged, but you sound like you are talking about geriatric. There are people in their 60's racing IMOCA 60's singlehanded. My wife & I could definitely DH Blink. Could we go as fast as a fully crewed Shaw 12. In over 20 knots, nope. In under 10 knots, probably. We see a lot more under 10 knots in the Salish Sea than over 20.

Take a look at the crazy boats they race DH in NZ. It is awesome. Father/daughter team raced a TP52 like boat around the North Island of NZ DH. There is a Cape 40 in NZ with a canting keel that races DH all the time, including around the North Island of NZ. Probably pretty similar to the Shaw 12.

I can't imagine letting age or gender be a barrier to your boat purchases. There are plenty of 70 year olds that can sail circles around an out of shape 30 year old. Reminds me, we have a guy up here that singlehands (races) his Beneteau First 42s7 with a symmetrical kite. He is pushing 80!

At 52, I'm a far better sailor than I was when I was 30.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
I am in my mid fifties and after 8 years from sailing to fight cancer, I want to buy my next new boat for 60-70% racing single/double handed and the rest out relaxing with my partner and now then another couple.

8 years is a long time away to know what has happened on yacht design so I am seeking advice from those better informed.
I have some racing and delivery experience that I accumulated since I was and infant; I done 4-5 Admiral's cup , including Fastnet 79, 3-4 SORC, a couple Cape Town-RIO, 4 Sydney-Hobart, 2 Bs.As-RIO, all the races in the Med more than I can remember, over 10 back and forth between Barcelona and the US and my last fast boat was an Open40.

The smallest boat I would want is a 36 footer, and the largest maybe 45-50, that can plane, prefer asyms than syms, maybe with water ballast.
I was looking at the Pogo 44 but when I called to put my $ I was told that they are years away so that boat is off the table, the 2 Pogo 12.50 I traveled to inspect were destroyed from chartering.
Does that include a man who has recovered from a serious cancer bout and has been out of the game for a long time.

How would it be harder to DH than a Class 40? You keep mentioning middle-aged, but you sound like you are talking about geriatric. There are people in their 60's racing IMOCA 60's singlehanded. My wife & I could definitely DH Blink. Could we go as fast as a fully crewed Shaw 12. In over 20 knots, nope. In under 10 knots, probably. We see a lot more under 10 knots in the Salish Sea than over 20.

Take a look at the crazy boats they race DH in NZ. It is awesome. Father/daughter team raced a TP52 like boat around the North Island of NZ DH. There is a Cape 40 in NZ with a canting keel that races DH all the time, including around the North Island of NZ. Probably pretty similar to the Shaw 12.

I can't imagine letting age or gender be a barrier to your boat purchases. There are plenty of 70 year olds that can sail circles around an out of shape 30 year old. Reminds me, we have a guy up here that singlehands (races) his Beneteau First 42s7 with a symmetrical kite. He is pushing 80!

At 52, I'm a far better sailor than I was when I was 30.

Having balls to sail a muscle boat is different than comfortably racing cruising. Even you point out the difference between a Cape 40 and a Shaw 12. Both are pain machines as they are neither nicely appointed or comfortable. You are guessing based on what you'd want or capable of. Furthermore it is easy to try to spend the money of others and giving advice that were not within the parameters of the original post. You are not alone - many have.

Of course you can thread drift, talk about how big a boat you can handle and speak volumes of how good you are. Presuming others are as you are or physically capable is a big leap.

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Does that include a man who has recovered from a serious cancer bout and has been out of the game for a long time.

Having balls to sail a muscle boat is different than comfortably racing cruising. Even you point out the difference between a Cape 40 and a Shaw 12. Both are pain machines as they are neither nicely appointed or comfortable. You are guessing based on what you'd want or capable of. Furthermore it is easy to try to spend the money of others and giving advice that were not within the parameters of the original post. You are not alone - many have.

Of course you can thread drift, talk about how big a boat you can handle and speak volumes of how good you are. Presuming others are as you are or capable is a big leap.
The Op wants to do the vic/Maui + transpac and do well . The Shaw would do well with considerably less pain than a riptide or FB35 and even 2 handed if he wanted to . Of all the boats suggested in his budget including the JPK I think it’s the best compromise between speed and comfort . Only problem is the keel will attract a hell of a high rating against fixed keels

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
The Op wants to do the vic/Maui + transpac and do well . The Shaw would do well with considerably less pain than a riptide or FB35 and even 2 handed if he wanted to . Of all the boats suggested in his budget including the JPK I think it’s the best compromise between speed and comfort . Only problem is the keel will attract a hell of a high rating against fixed keels
If he wants to go downhill fast and cruise next year or the following - a Santa Cruz 50 works for less effort and for 200k less. I understand there are local ones available today. Having double handed a SC50 I know it is really possible and would be sweet ride with space.

I can imagine buying a SC50 and waiting out for the new JPK. When it is delivered - fire sale the SC50 in hawaii or any other point one would want along this journey.

Last edited:

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
BJ, as is typical of threads where we both post, I am legitimately trying to help the OP, while you are just stirring the pot. Go back and reread this thread for the boats the OP is interested in and not interested in and tell me how Spirit or an SC50 fits. The rest of your comments are just nonsense. He's already reached out to find out how much it costs to ship Blink to the US. I hardly think others are trying to spend the OP money. He knows quite well what he wants. We are just trying to help him find what is actually available and then comment on the options. Nothing more.

An SC50 with a sym kite and overlapping genoas would be immensely more difficult to DH than Blink.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Blink is not so different from Blue. Canting keel vs. water ballast, but otherwise a lot of similarities, but Blink is way less expensive, even with shipping factored in, I would think.

Sweet looking boat, looks like an absolute rocket! No doubt would be crazy fun in a breeze and as a race boat but to me it seems like most of the boats @dreamingwet was looking at were Racer-cruisers with a capital "R" and little "c". This one looks like a RACER-cruiser(well, sort of cruiser).

Performance and fun under sail? Oh yeah, Check that box off.

As the OP put in his first post, "Relaxing with family and friends 30-40% of the time"?: Open to interpretation I guess and only the OP knows the answer to that question and what he has planned for the boat.

But a couple things I noticed was the draft of almost 10 feet which depending on local conditions might limit not only what harbor you call home but also visiting harbors and anchorages away from home. Second thing I see is an interior made for sleeping and essential daily activities but not a lot of beer/cocktails with friends at the end of the day or at anchor accommodations. Judging from the pictures doesn't look like much standing headroom unless you're a hobbit although it's hard to tell from the pictures so I could be wrong. Maybe these things might not be important or are deal breakers to @dreamingwet though. My interpretation of his wish to relax with friends and family very well could be different than what he has in mind. Or maybe the boat is more versatile than it appears to me.

Sick looking boat though! I sure wouldn't turn down an offer to go for a ride! :p

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
@Roleur - I am sure you are trying to help. I also have read the thread and followed it closely. Dismissing me for keeping his original post in mind is not fair and quite condescending. He does know what he wants and has drifted a bit based on the bias and conjecture here. He has lost a few offers on a myriad of boats including the 3600. The difference between the 3600 and Blink is a big. There has been a lot of speculation on boats that were suggested that seem to require crew for speed. We can all speculate on what is best for our needs. What we would do if we were him. When I am interested in a boat, I go get a ride on it, if i like it i bring it home. When Blink finally arrives, we can go look at her together.

Last edited:

stinky

Anarchist
If he wants to go downhill fast and cruise next year or the following - a Santa Cruz 50 works for less effort and for 200k less. I understand there are local ones available today. Having double handed a SC50 I know it is really possible and would be sweet ride with space.

I can imagine buying a SC50 and waiting out for the new JPK. When it is delivered - fire sale the SC50 in hawaii or any other point one would want along this journey.
...says someone who clearly doesn't know how #$%#@@ big and heavy a SC50 #1 is. :rolleyes: