New boat for solo/double for inshore, Vic-Maui, Transpac and cruising

dreamingwet

Blink is not so different from Blue. Canting keel vs. water ballast, but otherwise a lot of similarities, but Blink is way less expensive, even with shipping factored in, I would think.
Shipping is between $78k and $88K to Tacoma. It really sucks.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
...says someone who clearly doesn't know how #$%#@@ big and heavy a SC50 #1 is. :rolleyes:
some men clearly must know their limitations. I like small sail management too.

Some prove they are capable of doing a lot more

A 72 foot heavy schooner would bust me for sure. That is going to be close to a record. It is more displacement than length, in my opinion. Or perhaps sail area, which is related to displacement. Either way that wins. I have singlehanded all over the Pacific on my Santa Cruz 50. And another sailor cruises a SC 70 (68 feet) solo. But these a very light, stable and easily handled boats.

dreamingwet

BJ, as is typical of threads where we both post, I am legitimately trying to help the OP, while you are just stirring the pot. Go back and reread this thread for the boats the OP is interested in and not interested in and tell me how Spirit or an SC50 fits. The rest of your comments are just nonsense. He's already reached out to find out how much it costs to ship Blink to the US. I hardly think others are trying to spend the OP money. He knows quite well what he wants. We are just trying to help him find what is actually available and then comment on the options. Nothing more.

An SC50 with a sym kite and overlapping genoas would be immensely more difficult to DH than Blink.
@Roleur thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. You are so right on many things.
I know what I want out of my boats.
I Put $ down on a JPK but it will be a year and a half or 2, so I want a boat in the meantime.
as for being in shape, I am 58, I ”had” bone cancer that took almost all my left femur, doctors told I was lucky if I walked for mores than a couple of miles. 5 years later I have 3x Mallorca 312, 1 x Mallorca 200 on my bike; and I know I can SH/DH after all I crossed the Atlantic 2 times the wrong way in 50’+ IOR without autopilot with just one mate, raced many long distance DH, and delivered back from Rio to Barcelona DH
all this to say, I understand my limitations and strengths and without knowing Blink, I think it would not problem for me to SH/DH.

Blink could still be a possibility if the owner and I can work something out, but $80k for shipping her is pouring the money in the toilet with absolute no chance to recoup any of it, and this makes Blink an extremely bad proposition for me and it sucks.
at this time I am even thinking sailing her on her bottom, I already sailed from Sydney to LA when I had time, but now I don’t, so I need to think a little on different options.
there is a J122 in Antigua that I could get a decent deal, and although definitely not as fun as Blink, it might fit the bill.
it just sucks to have Blink available but so freaking difficult to get her here.

@Psycho, the 30-40% is something like, racing to Hawaii, go island hopping with my partner and maybe(emphasize maybe) have 1-2 people to visit for 4-5 days, then sail back to Seattle.
Blink has an oven! So that alone gets the boat closer to 45% comfort. Calzone and sangria, I can live with that.

Last edited:

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Knowing you have a boat coming - I would buy a mainstream boat the same length. Fit the same slip and have a known re-sale value with a known market. If you buy something too focused on your individual wants you may end up being a fleet owner for a while,

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
I surveyed a Beneteau First 30R today. Could well make a great boat while one waits for a JPK.

08423C4E-65BD-43E9-9D2B-3DA442E16BC1.jpeg

9EF7DEA5-CBF1-41DB-8AD8-17CF6578E59E.jpeg

F5C336AF-3B80-410C-84BB-F19794905B7B.jpeg

240F45E5-AA26-460B-ADAD-7EA91298C368.jpeg

5DFC0286-B0EC-4929-9AFC-2636605FA5E1.jpeg

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Something different?

I wasted a whole morning about a month ago checking out david Reards FB page . Damn the man can draw a wicked hull and then put the quirkiest coach houses on top that make you question what was actually in your morning coffee

T sailor

Chesapeake
Knowing you have a boat coming - I would buy a mainstream boat the same length. Fit the same slip and have a known re-sale value with a known market. If you buy something too focused on your individual wants you may end up being a fleet owner for a while,
I think this is good advice! Since it is an interim solution, I think it needs to be something that can easily be resold. Something like a j111 or a more custom but high demand boat could work (riptide)….

Btw, did you get an estimate to ship the jPK over?

dreamingwet

I think this is good advice! Since it is an interim solution, I think it needs to be something that can easily be resold. Something like a j111 or a more custom but high demand boat could work (riptide)….

Btw, did you get an estimate to ship the jPK over?
It will be irrelevant 1-2 years from now. I am sad that Blink did not go through..but I will get over. $75-$80 is a lot of money that I would never recoup.
I do not want to be on the same shoes as Manifest's owner, have paid a ton of money for shipping and needing too much $ to let her go.
I have not seen her yet, but one must wander why the owner wants to sell her when he has not even had her for a year. It would be interesting to know why, maybe poor results, too much boat, too little comfort.

EnriqueGracia

Madrid
@Roleur thank you for sharing your knowledge with me. You are so right on many things.
I know what I want out of my boats.
I Put $ down on a JPK but it will be a year and a half or 2, so I want a boat in the meantime.
as for being in shape, I am 58, I ”had” bone cancer that took almost all my left femur, doctors told I was lucky if I walked for mores than a couple of miles. 5 years later I have 3x Mallorca 312, 1 x Mallorca 200 on my bike; and I know I can SH/DH after all I crossed the Atlantic 2 times the wrong way in 50’+ IOR without autopilot with just one mate, raced many long distance DH, and delivered back from Rio to Barcelona DH
all this to say, I understand my limitations and strengths and without knowing Blink, I think it would not problem for me to SH/DH.

Blink could still be a possibility if the owner and I can work something out, but $80k for shipping her is pouring the money in the toilet with absolute no chance to recoup any of it, and this makes Blink an extremely bad proposition for me and it sucks.
at this time I am even thinking sailing her on her bottom, I already sailed from Sydney to LA when I had time, but now I don’t, so I need to think a little on different options.
there is a J122 in Antigua that I could get a decent deal, and although definitely not as fun as Blink, it might fit the bill.
it just sucks to have Blink available but so freaking difficult to get her here.

@Psycho, the 30-40% is something like, racing to Hawaii, go island hopping with my partner and maybe(emphasize maybe) have 1-2 people to visit for 4-5 days, then sail back to Seattle.
Blink has an oven! So that alone gets the boat closer to 45% comfort. Calzone and sangria, I can live with that.
I am very much aligned with your interests, I have been mainly focused in looking across the different boats for sale in Class40, which will be quite a few after 2022 RdRhum. There are at least 5 boats from the 2013-2017 years.

There is the Blink and also, for your info, the KukaLight which seem to be in the same league in terms of configuration. I have exchanged many emails with Sam Pearson from ANCASTA ( [email protected] ) and he has been super helpful with alternatives to the Class40. He has a Pogo1250 for sale as far as I know.

We talked a lot about the new MAT1220 which seems to be a clear alternative on my view to the KPK1180 and can be made with water ballasts and tiller with two rudders. The problem is that it jumps above the top of my budget.

Regarding the canting keel options (blink or kuka light) wouldn't you be afraid of their maintenance risks?

On my case, despite the alternatives, I am still focused in Class40 but very happy to learn from this thread.

Enrique.

dreamingwet

I am very much aligned with your interests, I have been mainly focused in looking across the different boats for sale in Class40, which will be quite a few after 2022 RdRhum. There are at least 5 boats from the 2013-2017 years.

There is the Blink and also, for your info, the KukaLight which seem to be in the same league in terms of configuration. I have exchanged many emails with Sam Pearson from ANCASTA ( [email protected] ) and he has been super helpful with alternatives to the Class40. He has a Pogo1250 for sale as far as I know.

We talked a lot about the new MAT1220 which seems to be a clear alternative on my view to the KPK1180 and can be made with water ballasts and tiller with two rudders. The problem is that it jumps above the top of my budget.

Regarding the canting keel options (blink or kuka light) wouldn't you be afraid of their maintenance risks?

On my case, despite the alternatives, I am still focused in Class40 but very happy to learn from this thread.

Enrique.
Hello Enrique, the MAT looks on paper like a good option, but you are at e$600K-$650K plus sails and instruments.
I did not know about him having a 12.5. There were 2 for sale in the EU and one in the USA. The one in the USA was/is used for live-aboard, and charter he wanted $320K and now $295K which is insane for that boat in particular.
there are a lot more than 5 Open40s and there are 2 JPK1180 for sale.
Blink, great boat, costs 80K to ship to the US but I would never spend $80K to ship a boat.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
For $80k, you could just fly NZ multiple times and race Blink there. They had 160 doublehanded boats on the line this past weekend and the race was won by a Melges 40, which seems even more extreme than Blink.

EnriqueGracia

Madrid
Hello Enrique, the MAT looks on paper like a good option, but you are at e$600K-$650K plus sails and instruments.
I did not know about him having a 12.5. There were 2 for sale in the EU and one in the USA. The one in the USA was/is used for live-aboard, and charter he wanted $320K and now $295K which is insane for that boat in particular.
there are a lot more than 5 Open40s and there are 2 JPK1180 for sale.
Blink, great boat, costs 80K to ship to the US but I would never spend $80K to ship a boat.
No problem. Just trying to help!

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
That's the wrong way to look at it. You look at what the landed price (don't forget the taxes and even air fares to view it) and compare that to what you can get locally. If that adds up, then you should not exclude it just because the landed price includes shipping.

What can you get for $420k-$450k US on your coast and how does it compare.

shaggybaxter

Super Anarchist
Australia
Blink, great boat, costs 80K to ship to the US but I would never spend $80K to ship a boat
Hiya Dreaming,
I spent $55K (and 8K for the cradle) to ship a boat from France to Aus in 2016 and that was with the mast out and stored under deck. $80k isn't unreasonable if your talking about leaving it all rigged.
As DN said, it's all comparative, I wouldn't get too hung up on the shipping cost if it still stacks up compared to what's local.

For that matter give me 80K and I'll put together a crew of seasoned offshore fellas and sail it over to you.

Latest posts